Dog attack, I got sprayed with pepper spray, battery stolen

i might have missed this part, but why exactly do you carry pepper spray? is it only because of the dogs or was this just a reaction when you saw the dog? maybe i am just slightly biased (my roommates and i all have dogs - 3 total) but i just don't understand the need to use pepper spray on a dog! especially such a little one - when you could easily outrun it.

I once chased by German shepard and this dog caught my pant. Thank god I carried the extendable baton and i baton down the german shepard dog knock out. I walked away without injury. :)

I never had any chase by dog ever since *knock the wood*

You might want carry 2 backups seriously. one extendable baton and pepper spray. I am talking about your life saver. What if the pepper spray is not effective then baton will.

MadRhino said:
Eye protection would have saved the day, but basically all this adventure is from being scared of the dog in the first place.
Don't carry a sword or a gun, you would be likely to kill yourself.
You need nothing else than your brain with a dog, and when you let yourself being scared you have no brain anymore.

No, I wasn't really scared. It was vengeance as a dog earlier chased me in this area and I just wanted to teach these little frockers a lesson and some dog threatening to bite me gets me pretty angry (Especially after he's doing something so obnoxious as guarding the only pedestrian walkway across the highway...). It would've been a different story had he hanged back 3-4 feet like every other dog I've encountered...

Now, if it was a pitbull, I probably would've been pretty scared. :)

And, no, I couldn't outrun it. My bike's top-speed at that moment was 13mph, hardly fast enough.

The moral of the story was, I was carrying the wrong weapon for the situation. Using the conical-type pepper spray in windy conditions in a situation where you can't readily orient your position relative to the attacker is a really bad idea - the risk of blowback is really high. So, one needs to use the streamer types if possible, and the Halt dog deterrent brands seem like they'd do the job pretty well.

Sure, eye protection is a good idea, but it's not like I'm thinking through every possible protection gear I *could* be wearing and I really doubt anything *but* the enclosing types would've helped...

Now where's my gloves, elbow protectors, knee protectors, ear muffs, eye protectors and maybe a shield just in case some indian starts shooting arrows at me?

chroot said:
I once chased by German shepard and this dog caught my pant. Thank god I carried the extendable baton and i baton down the german shepard dog knock out. I walked away without injury. :)

I never had any chase by dog ever since *knock the wood*

You might want carry 2 backups seriously. one extendable baton and pepper spray. I am talking about your life saver. What if the pepper spray is not effective then baton will.

Good idea, I've never thought of a baton. That seems like it'd be less public-hysteria inducing than some biker with a sword hanging off the side of his bike, lol.

Do you know what length baton you have? I see various lengths online between 16-32inches, and there's a lot of good reviews of the 21inch model, but typically, none of them have actually used it in combat...

Day 3, the burning sensation has subsided and now replaced with all the sensations that come with scabs across the entire upper half of your face. Why did my upper half get affected while the rest of my face went unscathed? Was it my facial hair?

+1 for facial hair! lol

dnmun said:
dogs chase the wheel, not the person as i understand it. you don't want them to bite the wheel or the dog would be hurt.

On my recumbent, dogs chase the moving parts: My feet that are 6 inches off the ground.

After readying this thread, I'm getting some new motorcycle gloves with the hard knuckles for this summer. If I come across any problems, those will be the first defense, then comes the pocket blade that is ALWAYS with me. At night, I have a tactical pocket LED flashlight that will blind a dog or anything else not wearing sunglasses for that matter. Someone or something attacking me is going to get a blinding fury :twisted:

OP:
Thanks for sharing the amusing post. I'm glad you gained something from it. Some people just curse that the situation occurred without seeing it as a learning opportunity in the same moment.

Am I the only one around here who hasn't been attacked by a dog while on a bike? I've gone thousands of miles without any problems. Why would you slow down and waste your time grabbing pepper spray, when you could have spent that time getting out of your predicament.

If a dog comes after you, you are on a ebike, couldn't you just hit the throttle?

el_walto said:
Am I the only one around here who hasn't been attacked by a dog while on a bike? I've gone thousands of miles without any problems. Why would you slow down and waste your time grabbing pepper spray, when you could have spent that time getting out of your predicament.

If a dog comes after you, you are on a ebike, couldn't you just hit the throttle?

Since I was at the end of the trip with a nearly fully depleted battery, my top speed "full throttle" was 13mph. Don't think it would've worked, already been successfully chased down by another dog at 17mph with a fully charged battery and it's clear this dog intended to bite. (Probably because I was right next to it, in its "territory" so to say.)

Looking online, a pitbull can run upto 28mph in short bursts. So, it's pretty prudent to think of self-defense measures if you don't have a 30+mph ebike and you've experienced dog encounters in your travels.

Mind you, I'm taking 50 mile trips on average, so I'm far likelier to encounter a dog than the cyclist with the average 4 mile trip, especially as I go through different neighborhoods, each with its own particular dog encounter risks, some being quite high like the neighborhood at the bottom of my hill near the highway. (I have to go through this neighborhood to get to the rest of my city.)

jansevr said:
i might have missed this part, but why exactly do you carry pepper spray? is it only because of the dogs or was this just a reaction when you saw the dog? maybe i am just slightly biased (my roommates and i all have dogs - 3 total) but i just don't understand the need to use pepper spray on a dog! especially such a little one - when you could easily outrun it.
Extremely biased. Dogs knock people off of bikes at best, and at worst attack people. Pepper spray is the best thing a person can do, if your dogs got loose and started chasing some guy on his bike you'd be lucky to not find your dog full of holes or worse, a law suit on your hands for your dog damaging someones property and injuring them in the process.

Even with eye protection, the stuff is still going to get into your eyes unless you had something like goggles on. But even then, unless you are wearing a motorcycle helmet with a respirator of some kind, you are going to breathe it as well, that sounds mighty unpleasant.

Dogs chase more than wheels, it was said within this thread, someones leg of their pants was bitten, that doesn't sound like a wheel chasing dog to me.

I love the idea of an extendable baton.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WDB6OM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002WDB6OM&linkCode=as2&tag=almar01-20

Even if your bike is very fast, there is still a chance a dog can and will knock you off before you get up to speed. If the dog has ill intent, I'd be glad I prepared to defend myself.

dogman said:
All I need to handle one dog is my attitude, and a few tricks I learned over the years, like make a fist and punch it straight down his throat. But a pack is another story. We've had several people killed by 4 or more dogs locally, some of them adults.

A big pack, and I'm just turning and riding for my life. One dog, I'll just teach a lesson to it.

Yeah, since you've mentioned it, I remember seeing a pack of 5-6 larger dogs running across the street one time late at night about 100 feet ahead of me. None of them chased me (As far as I could tell), but it appears there's "dog pack" risks around these parts. Now that I'm reviewing self-defense measures, I need to think of that...

swbluto Where do you live ? I was on a beach one day a guy with a german sherpard walk by with his master. I left my surfboard on the rock to go back to the ocean to wash off. When I returned the dog and I crossed paths and he loung at me I somehow grapped under his throat and he frozze the guy walked over and put him on the leash and I let go then he just walked away. No words exchanged. To this day how do i do that ?
Dogman I love that old vidieo of the dog you have to turn around and chase like three times.
swbluto what neibourhood you live in ?

It's not what neighborhood I live in, it's what neighborhoods I *have* to travel thru. :roll:

Also, apparently the unemployment rate in my city is 10%, and a lot of people in the lower income neighbhorhoods have to let go of things costing them, including dogs...

Anyways, I figured out my arsenal. In order of usage, depending on the urgency and danger level of the situation...

Airhorn
Dog-spray
Pepper-spray (Backup)
Stun Baton
Desert Eagle .50 cal (Or 4-7" hunting knife)

I figure that should cover everything from the dog, to a dog pack, to the dog's owner. :)

(I'm also getting some aviator-style motorcycle goggles, it appears they should be good for bugs and pepper spray blowback.)

swbluto said:
Anyways, I figured out my arsenal. In order of usage, depending on the urgency and danger level of the situation...

Airhorn
Dog-spray
Pepper-spray (Backup)
Stun Baton
Desert Eagle .50 cal (Or 4-7" hunting knife)

I figure that should cover everything from the dog, to a dog pack, to the dog's owner. :)
Ah ! Why can't we train the bike to kick and box like we used to do with horses :roll:
The times they are a changing my friend :wink:

[youtube]Qu70T9z7eX4[/youtube]

Sorry about your accident. One thing I learned about dogs over the years is that they fall into two categories. Ones that respond to a very load "NO" and the ones that do not. If they flinch at all at the load "NO :!: ", you can play tricks on them. If not, your in for a death battle.

My dear old little 45 pound ger. sheperd was great at playing with folks on bikes. She would guard the short cut that developed through a new home we moved to when she was about 3 years old. A real fixer upper. Yard was totally neglected for years and lots of repeat undesirables walking through all the time ignoring our requests to keep out. I played kick ball with her while riding the mtn bike which she loved. She learned how to take your foot off the pedals while I was sprinting without ever hurting never mind breaking skin. You could not shake her. No matter what. 30+ MPH wide open down hills, still there holding on to your pants when playing.

Fun to watch her harass the trespassers on bmx bikes the first few weeks we were there before we got the passages sealed up. If you stopped she would grab the front tire down low and pull your bike from under you if you were not ready for that and holding firmly on the bars. Fortunately she knew it was just a game, for show and could turn it off as soon as commanded. She was a truly great dog and training buddy. I remember a kid that I had warned to stay out multiple times standing there frozen with the bike between him and the angry barking dog, her not taking this repeat offence too lightly. She was small but looked and acted scary. Fortunately I was there and called her off and warned the kid to stay away again. Never saw him or his friends cross the yard again.

Good story. Reminds me of the meanest dog in my neighborhood when I was a kid. A gigantic male german shepherd. I made friends with him and when chased by local gangs, I'd jump in Toby's yard and tell em come on in. No takers.

Swbluto, just wear some boots when you go riding in unfamiliar places, and kick those dogs in the neck if they get close to your foot. If you have time to fumble for any of that stuff, you already won the fight. The boots will make you braver.

@swbluto I have 17" extendable baton perfect stealth hardy see when the baton mount on the frame. It also gives you another benefit protection if someone tries hurt you include the animal.

Maybe you pepper spray during the moving probably bad decision and better complete stop then get off the ebike and be defensive with the pepper spray. You probably will not end up careless on your eyes instead dog will end up hurt with pepper spray. :lol:

Don't carry the handgun I.E. Desert Eagle, I guaranteed you will land in the jail no time.

Survival tools is good choice.

Code:
Airhorn
Dog-spray
Pepper-spray (Backup)
Stun Baton
hunting knife

Don't worry all, I position all weapons so they're quick and easy to draw and engage. I also practice to make it as quick as possible. However, what I *didn't* practice was actually using the pepper spray and little did I know that just simply putting your thumb on the button wasn't enough; apparently you had to lift the flip ontop to a nearly 90degree angle (45 degree angles didn't cut it), requiring your other hand to make it happen. What a stupid "emergency" device.

It's ironic when the safety device endangers the user. :roll:

chroot said:
Don't carry the handgun I.E. Desert Eagle, I guaranteed you will land in the jail no time.

It's a sad day when a man can't carry a gun to save his life from vicious animals without fear of being jailed.

Oh wait, this is America, 21st century. I forgot. Today we have cars, and the associated financial obligations to the oil and insurance industries and these ebike thingies are really just life and death on all fronts, aren't they? Rabid animals, cars, etc.

Yep, Unless you apply for conceal gun license then no problem carry compact handgun hidden in your body or ankle. Depending on your local sheriff permits. Some district sheriff really very anal refuse let you obtain conceal gun license unless you have good reason to carry it.

i think something that shoots out jellied gasoline directly onto the dog and ignites it would be the ticket. you could have nozzle that sprays it first and then click a little igniter on the last of the squirt.

if you wanna use a gun, then get one of the little derringers with one or two shots and fit in you hand. they are just .22 caliber so the bullet would not damage anything when you missed. not too much damage anyway.

If someone cocked and armed gun in ankle is bad choice. Even few of police careless shot his own gun on their foot or leg. It's true. If I am in your shoe, I will have better choice using double action trigger handgun for ankle conceal and meaning either you can do cock it or just pull trigger to fire the gun. :lol:

Code:
A double-action, also known as double action only (DAO) to prevent confusion with DA/SA designs, is similar to a DA revolver trigger mechanism. The trigger both cocks and releases the hammer or striker. However there is no single action function. A good example of this action is the SIG Sauer DAK trigger. For semi-automatic pistols with a traditional hammer (that employ only the double action function of the trigger), the hammer will return to its decocked position after each shot. Subsequent shots require the double action trigger firing sequence. For striker-fired pistols such as the Taurus 24/7, the striker will remain in the rest position through the entire reloading cycle. This term applies mostly to semi-automatic handguns; however, the term can also apply to some revolvers such as the Smith & Wesson Centennial, the Type 26 Revolver, and the Enfield No. 2 Mk I revolvers, in which there is no external hammer spur. Glock, Springfield XD and XDm, and Kahr semi-automatic pistols are not DA (or DAO) pistols because the striker is "cocked" to an intermediate position by the operation of the slide and they cannot be re-activated by pulling the trigger a second time.

speedmd said:
handgun hidden in your body or ankle.

I see the head lines now, "Dog accidentally shoots biker while biting ankle"! :p

Back