Double Drop Electric Longboard

l3thaltank

100 µW
Hello Everyone!

Long time Lurker here even before I made a login for ES… Finally I am able to share my build with you all and contribute to this wonderful community. I appreciate all of the community’s hard work and learned so much before and throughout my continued build process. When I first purchased my parts for my longboard back at the tail end of March I knew I would eventually make it my own DIY Electric. The benefits and whole idea really caught my attention. Having brakes on my board was also a huge incentive for me as I’m sure it is for most of you out there. It takes a lot of risk out of the sport especially using such large Diameter DH wheels that are harder to slide and/or footbrake. Anyways I researched for a long time and finally pulled the trigger to order all my parts. Hope you enjoy!

Deck - SoCal Skateshop Blank Double Drop 10” x 42” 8-ply Maple Longboard Deck w/ Blood Orange Grip Tape X-Course
Trucks - Paris V2 Orange Crush 180mm Trucks
Bushings – Venom DH Double Barrel Green 93a
Bearings - Biltin Abec-7
Wheels - Orangatang Kegel 80mm 80a
Motor Mount - TorqueBoards Bolt On V1 w/Paris Truck Adapters
Motor - TorqueBoards Skateboard Sensored E-Power Motor 5065 170KV 2200W
Motor Drive Pulley - TorqueBoards 12T Aluminum
Wheel Pulley - Voodoojar’s 3D Printed ABS Plastic 36T
Belt - 280mm HTD5 9mm
ESC - TorqueBoards 12s 120A Sensored w/12s UBEC
Enclosure - Modified Waterproof Box from Walmart
Controller - Modified HK-GT2B
Batteries - (3) Zippy 5000mAh 4S1P 20C in series for 12S
Connectors - XT90-S Anti Spark 4.5mm

uc

In order for Torque's Motor Mount to fit w/Kegels (offset wheel) you need to modify the 180mm Hanger or buy the 195mm Hanger version of Paris Trucks off the bat. I plan to turn it down more precise when I can get on a lathe at school but a Hand Grinder, File, and Sandpaper got me pretty close.

uc

Enclosure Mounted to truck with .1875 Khiro Drop-Thru Riser in-between Enclosure and baseplate.

uc

I originally planned on having a 8s battery setup, but I decided to buy a third Zippy 5000mAh 4S1P 20C for 12s.

uc

Drive Wheel Left Side

uc

Drive Wheel Close-up Left Side

uc

Right Side View

uc

Right Side View Close-up

uc

Rear View

uc

Top View

uc

Top View of Open Enclosure

uc

View of Enclosure Lid

uc

View of Enclosure Lid Underside

uc

Modified GT2B Side View – I chopped up the original case and made this with a bunch of electrical tape :D I plan to either Print Badwolf’s Case Mod v2 or design my own case. I was thinking it would be really cool to house the controller within a slide puck either machine out an area for the electronics on CNC or 3D Print it. I think it would be great since I could Velcro it to my homemade side gloves instead of a normal puck, wouldn’t have to worry about dropping it and if I fell and slid on my kneepads and hands the controller wouldn’t get lost and there would be less chance of breaking it. Thoughts on this?

uc

Modified GT2B Rear View

This build is currently running unsensored ( sensor wire unplugged) until the Firmware for the ESC is updated. I am waiting on updated ESC firmware from Torque so the ESC will work properly with the sensored motor.
I also plan to make this build dual motor in the future since I want to climb hills, have more balanced braking, and reliability.

Please share your thoughts and possible ideas to further perfect my build :D

torqueboards said:
Should move the belt closer. That's a bit far out there. Belt works much nicer closer. I have 265mm if you need.

Looks good mounted on the rear.
I was thinking the same thing. 265mm would be great. I want to also try the 16T Motor Pulley I got from you but One of the 4 M4 Bolts that tensions the mount for the belt is stuck and i stripped it when trying to remove it. I'll probably grind a flat in the bolt head or use a screw extractor.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=60530
would this esc work with the turnigy aerodrive sk3 280kv motor and 2X 3s 5000mah 20c battery?

Nice build! I like the way you put the enclosure on top. Most people on this forum put it underneath. I think...

lox897 said:
Nice build! I like the way you put the enclosure on top. Most people on this forum put it underneath. I think...

Yeah because underneath enclosure look's better and stealthy in general, also for weight repartition it's best I think.

Vulthor said:
lox897 said:

Yeah because underneath enclosure look's better and stealthy in general, also for weight repartition it's best I think.

I agree. But the enclosure on top gives more clearance so that's a bonus.

Are there shims between Motor and mount from closeup picture??
And how close is Motor to truck in that reversed position ( out the back) ??

Back