Dr.Bass Steveo found 7s3p Module! Awesome Price!!

mjcrow said:
This is an interesting Taobao sale, the units look like they are put together but no bus bars welded yet http://www.englishtaobao.com/produc...=H>a+lithium+iron+phosphate+battery+<+span>+h

Yes.....I seen that today and thought exactly the same thing. It would appear that these are modules abandoned by A123 part way through the production process?

Good that they are already packaged and compressed......bad that there are not too many options for joining the tabs. :?

bigmoose said:
This one appears to show 21 cells in an unfinished carrier for $18, now that appears to be the deal of the century!

I reckon they would be charging $18 per cell....but let us know if you hear any different. :)

peterperkins said:
The A123 pcb white BMS connector is JST part number S22B-AIT2G-2FS

the above connector but S10B-AIT2G-1AK with 10pins seems to be the CAN bus connector on the 7s3p BMS. Does anybody no what type the grey balancer connector is (also JST 18 pin male)
A123_BMS_connectors.jpg

r

JRP3 said:
Looks as if some of the tabs have many small holes punched in them. Wonder what that's all about?

I had my China buddy work out the words left by the seller.
He first said that the seller has no feedback and to be careful.

He says that it describes the negative electrode holes as being a short circuit protection in order to protect the batteries.
He said that there is some information about no returns out of state, he thinks they mean Beijing. Sounds like they don't want to deal with shipping. It goes into a little bit of depth to be careful and understand lithium and suggests getting protection as it doesn't come with it(BMS). For extra money they are willing to rip it apart to ship these cells loose. He says the batteries are soft because they haven't gone through a factory activation charge, so I assume that means they are assembled and then charged and tested(seems weird to me) and they get hard with activation(that's what she said)?

The issue that he told me to be concerned about is that Taobao is mostly an internal China site. They are likely not going to be able to speak English to you and depending on the seller, they might not be willing to ship outside China. Unless you can find someone who is fluent in Chinese, Taobao might be tough.

If this all worked out, I'd take 5 of those because I could use 100 cells.

MN Driver said:
The issue that he told me to be concerned about is that Taobao is mostly an internal China site. They are likely not going to be able to speak English to you and depending on the seller, they might not be willing to ship outside China. Unless you can find someone who is fluent in Chinese, Taobao might be tough.

If you want to buy from Taobao you need to use an agent, there are plenty out there, they usually charge around 8% of cost +shipping+insurance. The item is shipped to the agent (located in China) who then checks the item, repackages it if required and forwards it on to you. I bought my A123s (cut off tabs) off Taobao, I tried about 5 different agents until I found one who would ship batteries (http://www.taobaotrends.com/), overall a good experience with these guys.

Michael

Does anyone have a contact in China who can get this modules in the same place Victpower gets them? I am sure people would be willing to pay more for a module that tests good before shipping.

MN Driver said:
He says the batteries are soft because they haven't gone through a factory activation charge, so I assume that means they are assembled and then charged and tested(seems weird to me) and they get hard with activation(that's what she said)?
I would be surprised if the cells weren't charged first as a test before being welded into a pack, seems like that would be the time to catch a problem. Of course A123 missed a bunch of problems, so who knows, but I doubt they would assemble untested cells that had never been charged with a forming charge.

999zip999 said:
Their are not going to sell you the one that burn down the Volt. That's priceless.

Uhh, A123 never burned down a Volt, ever. That would be misinformation, which has already been corrected, except for the one quote of someone that was removed that contained a video of the Volt which had user added text that was false information.

It's similar to the misinformation about these cells having 20Ah, they don't and if you bank on the capacity of your pack having 20Ah, you might end up a little sore for range.

That's a good fine. I think two 12s is a better fit for my bike as the size of that is a box. The size of these cells make a challenge to fit on a bike.

mjcrow said:
MN Driver said:

If you want to buy from Taobao you need to use an agent, there are plenty out there, they usually charge around 8% of cost +shipping+insurance. The item is shipped to the agent (located in China) who then checks the item, repackages it if required and forwards it on to you. I bought my A123s (cut off tabs) off Taobao, I tried about 5 different agents until I found one who would ship batteries (http://www.taobaotrends.com/), overall a good experience with these guys.

Michael

So if I want to buy a 72V20AH A123, which seller would you recommend?

cwah said:
So if I want to buy a 72V20AH A123, which seller would you recommend?

Just like ebay, they have a feedback system, check how many sales they have, and you can read peoples comments if you paste them into google translate http://translate.google.com.au/?hl=en&tab=wT#zh-CN|en| (which works best if you copy and paste the text rather than translating the whole page). Your Taobao agent can ask questions of the seller on your behalf, part of the service.

Michael

I think the best way to buy via taobao is to get someone in china to do it, get them to phone and ask the questions first and let them organise payment etc. Alternatively wait till someone you know goes to china.

Taobao has some very interesting but confusing listings for modules.

For example "Package mail-the original A 123 -level cell 72V20 AH electric " for $920.81 per lot listing that turns into $2.74 a piece. Pictures show mostly a 28s3p module with one showing a 7s3p module.
http://www.englishtaobao.com/Product/14898273535/Package+mail-the+original+%3Cspan+class%3DH%3EA+%3C+span%3E+%3Cspan+class%3DH%3E123+%3C+span%3E-level+cell+72V%3Cspan+class%3DH%3E20+%3C+span%3E+%3Cspan+class%3DH%3EAH+%3C+span%3E+electric+bicycle+batteries/

I am very interested in a source outside of Victpower. Would one of the agents listed earlier be willing to voltage test modules before shipping them? Is that the type of thing they do? How would that work if the module failed, is the guarantee pretty much up to the individual seller or standardized for all Taobao vendors?

MrJoshua said:

For example "Package mail-the original A 123 -level cell 72V20 AH electric " for $920.81 per lot listing that turns into $2.74 a piece. Pictures show mostly a 28s3p module with one showing a 7s3p module.
http://www.englishtaobao.com/Product/14898273535/Package+mail-the+original+%3Cspan+class%3DH%3EA+%3C+span%3E+%3Cspan+class%3DH%3E123+%3C+span%3E-level+cell+72V%3Cspan+class%3DH%3E20+%3C+span%3E+%3Cspan+class%3DH%3EAH+%3C+span%3E+electric+bicycle+batteries/

I am very interested in a source outside of Victpower. Would one of the agents listed earlier be willing to voltage test modules before shipping them? Is that the type of thing they do? How would that work if the module failed, is the guarantee pretty much up to the individual seller or standardized for all Taobao vendors?

Don't trust the englishtaobao site for price, if you look at the sellers actual Taobao sitehttp://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=14898273535 you will see the price is 4220.00yuan (US$662.98) then you would have shipping to the agent, then shipping and insurance to you. As to checking voltage etc, that would be up to you to negotiate with your agent, mine sent me pics before they packaged and shipped them to me so I could make sure I was getting what I paid for.

Maybe any of the people who have received their cells from victpower may have the pick-up address on their paperwork, showing where their packages originated, did they originate from Victpower or are they drop shipping from the "recycler" company. That information could be useful....

Michael

The Victpower modules are shipping from somewhere other than the sales persons location. They are at the "Factory" in Shenzen.

MrJoshua said:
The Victpower modules are shipping from somewhere other than the sales persons location. They are at the "Factory" in Shenzen.
You'd swear these were all made in ChinUSorea.

mjcrow said:
MrJoshua said:

Don't trust the englishtaobao site for price, if you look at the sellers actual Taobao sitehttp://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=14898273535 you will see the price is 4220.00yuan (US$662.98) then you would have shipping to the agent, then shipping and insurance to you. As to checking voltage etc, that would be up to you to negotiate with your agent, mine sent me pics before they packaged and shipped them to me so I could make sure I was getting what I paid for.

Maybe any of the people who have received their cells from victpower may have the pick-up address on their paperwork, showing where their packages originated, did they originate from Victpower or are they drop shipping from the "recycler" company. That information could be useful....

Michael

Mike,
I am curious as to what would happen if the module were indeed defective and that was discovered by the agent by a simple voltage check. My experience with Victpower is that they could send you poop in a box and the only way you would ever get even a partial resolution is to buy more stuff from them,.

Back