• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Dropouts bent or normal?

Chalo said:
You don't have to worry about the mounting bolt.

I was for a little bit. :lol:

100Nm motor torque = 703lb shear force at 32mm

And from my research, an M5x0.8 stainless bolt isn't much more robust than the demands of 703lb of shear force. There is of course the holding strength of axle nuts themselves. But in a worst case scenario if it is only the torque arm doing the holding, when there is a loose dropout, it does make you wonder how well that M5 will hold.

Comrade said:
Chalo said:
You don't have to worry about the mounting bolt.

I was for a little bit. :lol:

100Nm motor torque = 703lb shear force at 32mm

And from my research, an M5x0.8 stainless bolt isn't much more robust than the demands of 703lb of shear force. There is of course the holding strength of axle nuts themselves. But in a worst case scenario if it is only the torque arm doing the holding, when there is a loose dropout, it does make you wonder how well that M5 will hold.

It doesn't matter, because unless the axle and the torque arm are both made of military unobtainium, the flats will poop out first. I understand the concern in principle, but this is the little Dutch boy with his finger in the dike, and you're wondering how much traction his wooden shoes will provide.

Its not scratched up enough. One steel ta on rigid alum forks been working good 52v 35a.

docw009 said:
Yikes. My steel front fork has a hole too. I've got a 500W bafang motor on it, but with a 20A controller and 48V, it's got to hold 1000W peaks.

IMG_1356.JPEG

I had that mild steel torque plate on one side, and a store-bought torque arm on the other, The bafang cable allows me to torque them down to around 25 ft-lbs with a torque wrench. Marked the nuts like I always do, and they never move,

Welded that third hole up for maximum strength and then repainted the dropouts. You can't really see the dropouts too much when it's all put together but after the welding and grinding it definitely needed something to protect it. Since I didn't have that exact blue, I just used the Antique White accent color used elsewhere on the bike. Pretty happy with the results so far, thanks all! :thumb:

Attachments

• PXL_20220714_212615583.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220714_212615583.MP.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 224
  • PXL_20220714_212541637.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220714_212541637.MP.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 224
Back