Dual hub off-road scooter build

Macglen

1 µW
So I purchased two 3500 watt hub motors to upgrade my current scooter and since I have a school project I have been tinkering with an all new design instead of an upgrade. I could not find a dual controller rated for 72v so I was figuring I would need two controllers and two battery’s so I could conserve power if I ever wanted to use 1 motor instead of 2. I am testing the motors with a large battery from another build and I noticed that I could get both motors to run off one controller if they were both hooked up to the same terminal strip. I was expecting to have to wire the Hall effect sensors together but to my surprise they both turned with only 1 Hall effect hooked up. Going down to one controller and reusing an older battery would save me a ton.

Can I damage the motors if ran like this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 397
It would be interesting to see the entire vehicle you have there, while the build is in-progress.

Regarding the two controller/motor issue:

When the motors are offground, freely spinning without a load in the air, that can work alright.

The problem is that if the motors aren't physically locked together so they rotate at the same time at the same position, then the controller only knows where the coils are relative to the sensors of one of the motors. This means it isn't putting out the pulses of current to turn the other motor at the right time, and it can cause various undesirable behaviors (including feedback from the motor coils that are in the wrong position relative to their magnets at the wrong time that might be able to damage the controller itself, in theory at least).

You can't tie the sensors from both motors together becuase then the controller will not know the position of either motor correctly.

If the motors are physically locked together at the exact same rotor position relative to their magnet position, so they always rotate in exact sync, then the halls from one motor can be used to detect position correctly for both (because it is now one motor with two sets of coils), and the controller can drive them both directly and correctly.

You can actually use just one battery to drive two controllers that then drive each motor independently, and use just one throttle to control both. If you use one throttle, then use the 5v and ground from only one controller, but wire the throttle output signal to both.

If you need to switch the controllers off independently, then use separate switches for each controller's keyswitch/ignition wire to the battery positive. (or if you use controllers with displays, they will likely have their own independent on/off buttons).

Macglen said:
I could not find a dual controller rated for 72v so I was figuring I would need two controllers and two battery’s so I could conserve power if I ever wanted to use 1 motor instead of 2.

I hope you will document your build here as it sounds very interesting!
For the controllers have a look at the very small (for their power) new Flipsky FOC (based on VESC) 75V 100A controllers. They can be hooked up to 1 battery pack that can provide the amps you'll use for the two motors.

https://flipsky.net/collections/ele...ric-skateboard-scooter-ebike-speed-controller

Thread here on E-S about this controller: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=113445

Back