Dual Suspension Frames with rear steel dropouts!? exists?

Ordered Crystalyte 406 rear hub motor. Waiting for delivery. Starting to think about Torque Arms? Find Inside Double-D Washers.
http://superior.thomasnet.com/viewitems/all-categories/egories-odd-shaped-washers-inside-double-d-washers?&plpver=1001&bc=100|3001057&forward=1
inside%20double-d.jpg

I am thinking of making Torque Arm from a 1/8" or thicker piece of steel or stainless steel. How would someone cut a double-D shape hole?

getadirtbike,
How are you making that round part of your Torque Arm?

How would someone cut a double-D shape hole?

Wait till you get your motor and measure. My motors left and right sides are not the same size. Poor machine work from china.

marty said:
How would someone cut a double-D shape hole?

getadirtbike,
How are you making that round part of your Torque Arm?

Getadirtbike does it on a mill.

But you could get by with a round file and a small flat file. Drill a hole first, then break out the beer, get half tanked, and start filing :)

A good torque arm does require a tight fit on the axle and the mount. There is not room for play. Of course you can file it but a hack job won't do. Buying geta's set up is worth it but if I made one I would use 1/8" stainless, drill the holes on a drill press and make a cut between them with a Dremel cutoff wheel then touch it up with a good, new American or German small flat file. The design of mounting is important. Good luck -- keep us posted.

You can also take a digitized drawing to a hi tech plasma cutter.

getadirtbike said:
Here's a side view of it

Does anyone have pictures of getadirtbike's torque arms before installation of the nuts to see the fitment and other attachments on their bikes? I'm looking to probably make my own but if these work well and the fitment is there, I'm sure they would hold great but I'm not sure on how they would look on a bike.

Hello Abraham...

Small world. :wink:

Hey getadirtbike,

How long does it take to build up a pair of those torque arms of yours? Are you busy currently?

Broloch,

I can have them built for you in a day or 2. I've got some free time over the next couple of days.

Let me know if you really want them and I'll let you know which photos I will need of your bike so that I can get them built.

If you're wondering how durable they are, we've been using them on these bikes.... http://www.emtb.com.au for over 12 months and they haven't shown any signs of wear.

Cheers.

BiGH said:
hey all. I'm finding the bumps a bit much at high speed, just wondering if anyone can suggest a dual suspension frame with steel rear dropouts?

also something that would support a fairly good rack too (i'm not sure a single beam rack would support my batteries sufficiently (13kg).
My wallmart 100 buck mongoose has an aluminum frame but the rear swinging stuff is all aluminum. Components are junk but the frame itself seems ok. I think the next brand ones at the same price are the same way. Just don't use the under the frame water bottle.

duh! The rear swinging stuff is all steel. I'm sitting here all day posting since I just broke both collarbones. Again, don't use that waterbottle by the front wheel.

dogman said:
Just don't use the under the frame water bottle
dogman said:
Again, don't use that waterbottle by the front wheel.
Why not? Not that I have one but 2 elusive statements like those need clarification, curiosity and all. I would imagine if it is under the frame that any thing you run over sand water mud etc... ends up on the bottle and will end up in your mouth if you use it.

Am I right?

getadirtbike said:
If you're wondering how durable they are, we've been using them on these bikes....
Do you have pictures of your torque arms on any regular bikes close up so I can see the fit and finish and how they are attached to the rear triangle, I'm really interested but would really like to see them before purchasing as they will save me the time of figuring something else out.

Sorry about the cryptic waterbottle references. I should really be saying don't reach for such mounted waterbottles while moving. The younger folks probobally all know that the front wheel grabs the bottle stuffing it into the forks so you go over the handlebars breaking both collarbones. As I learned last wednesday. Now I have nothing better to do but annoy all you folks on the e bike forums. I grew up on old school ten speeds and found the learning curve for this type of bottle mount steep indeed.

Toshi,

You need to turn on your PM's. I can't reply to the PM that you sent me because you have them disabled in your profile. The answer to your question is yes. Email me at fivezip@optusnet.com.au if you're interested.

getadirtbike said:
I'll endeavour to get you some photos of them this week

That would be great, if you post them in this link I'm sure you'll find there are more people looking to buy some, and before you get to many people looking for some I'd like to put my name on the list. The only thing that I'm curious about it how to mount/attach them to the lower part of the triangle, I was thinking some U bolts. I was also wondering about the hole that goes over the axle how close of a fit it is and if you can make the arm section longer to my spec, the longer the arm the less stress on the frame. Let me know. Do you take paypal?

Thanks,

I found this while looking around:

http://www.sportchek.ca/sportchek/do/style?menuId=231&styleId=46999

Here's one attached to a frame that doesn't have regen. It doesn't need to be fixed.... just prevented from turning. The torque will only ever act in one direction.

This one's a bit rough because it's dual purpose (can be used on another bike too). But you get the idea.

Cheers

Attachments

• DSCF6960.JPG
    DSCF6960.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 2,408
Back