Dusting off an old project bike

willo

10 W
I started to order up a Lectric folding bike to stash in my camper. After looking at some reviews (and revised travel plans) I am thinking that it's not for me.

I've had a mid 90's Cannondale Delta V 3000 project bike up on the shelf for a bit.
I had intended to make a custom mid drive out of it. It's got a nuvinci N360 gear hub in the rear and a metro planetary front crankset. Rear brakes are ground off (still need to make up the rear disk mounts)
I built a couple of large marge wheels up for it with the N360 and a Lefty fork - a bit of dish sorted the wheel setup there.

And then I let it sit in my storage bin for several years.

Fast forward to today. I am eyeballing the Bafeng mid drive system for the old 3k. I figure I can make up some battery packs easily enough and I'd rather have a light weight build over the heavy pre-builts.

So yeah, this is gonna happen. I need to tig up some disc brake mounts in the rear and will probably mod the rear shock mount to use modern rear shocks. The lefty has lost pressure, I may just replace it. IIRC, it's of the not quite serviceable vintage.

So. Will I end up murdering the N360 if I shove a 100w bafeng in front of it? I spent that money a long time ago, so I guess it'll be fun to find out! Either way, I think it's gonna be a sexy ride. If it dies, I can always pick up newer bike and transfer the parts.

Back