• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

DW Documentary: Will Germany's Car Industry Survive

The link has no sound for me. But it's on youtube too if anyone else has this problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcXjVxaKzv4

Sound works fine for me.

German car industry at the end of 2019

Tesla gigafactory 4 will be built in Brandenburg
VW started with mass production of ID.3 in Zwickau
VW + Northvolt will build a large cell+battery factory in Salzgitter
CATL will build a huge cell factory in Erfurt
Daimler finished factory 2 for its battery production in Kamenz

To name the most prominent

On the other hand they say that Norway is ahaed of Germany.

I wonder about the electric car industry in Norway?

What about the car industry in Japan? Toyota and Honda just got the idea that bEC vould be a better idea than fuel cell vehicles, I even don't know about Mazda. Nissan built the Leaf but it's now an elecric car from the past.
US car industry? There is Tesla, but what about GM (all of the elecric drive train in the bolt hs been made by LG Chem), Ford and Fiat Chrysler?
China builds many electric cars and has 99% of the worlds electric bus market, but so far there is little export
The French?
the Korean?
The Italian?
(The British?)

Did i miss anyone?

Norway is way ahead on the electric car user side due to:
100% renewable electric power
Political pressure to reduce GHG emissions and with no big thermal power plants, transport is a huge CO2 source
Cars are heavy taxed based on weight & emissions. Making BEVs tax except gave them a “free”subsidy
Other perks also exists for BEVs like zero to 50% toll road fee, free parking, use of HOV lanes etc
Lobbying power from domestic car business promoting ICE is equalised by BEV promoters
No/little push from oil&gas as almost all their production is sold abroad

However, the Norwegian electric car industry is now only on subsystems (charging infrastructure and parts of driveline) as the only Norwegian car producing company, Think, went bankrupt about ten years ago.

Cephalotus said:
The French?
the Korean?
The Italian?
(The British?)

Did i miss anyone?

French ...Renault EVs, ..Twizy, Zoe, Fluence, Kango, City K,. etc. Citroen, C Zero, E Mehrai
Korean... Hyundai... Ionic, Kona, ....Kia ..Soul, Niro,
Italy ...Fiat 500E
Brits...Jaguar E-Pace, Mini E, Bollinger 4x4
Japan ..also has the new Honda e
Croatia..Rimac.
Sweeden ..Saab EV ?

I suspect in 12-18 months, this list will be much bigger.

EDIT jan 20
Forgot the “sleeping giants”
Russia... they must already have some serious EVs ?
India ... have already produced at least one BEV (Tata ?) and have the ability and resources to match any Western product.

Back