Dynapack battery BMS wake up? Motocompacto battery dead

Hey guys. I have been working on adding a range extender in the form of a parallel battery on my Honda Motocompacto and goofed up and hooked it up in parallel without a balancer/balancing like an idiot. After a powercycle or two the internal battery in the Honda stopped outputting any voltage. Took it apart and I'm getting 38.12v across VG/VP but 0v out of the BMS itself. Nothing looks burned, I'm assuming the external battery just tried to pull a bunch of amps from the battery and it went into some sort of deep protect mode.

Found a few things on the board. Firstly, it talks to the controller/dashboard via Canbus. Pretty typical, potentially good news for aftermarket/DIY batteries. Found an unused header labeled J10 with pins 'pack-' and 'release'. Found another unpopulated header that appears to be... programming/JTAG header? 3.3V, SDWIO, SWCLK, REST, GND. Nothing obvious to reset the BMS.

A new battery is $321 (Honda Part number 08Z15-PR8-100R8) and I'm not entirely opposed to buying another one and sacrificing this battery to the DIY cause by putting an ANT BMS with CANBus in and seeing if I can make it work like OEM.

Any advice on getting this thing working again is welcome. The battery is a Dynapack model BL001.

Attachments

• IMG_7378.jpeg
    IMG_7378.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7381.jpeg
    IMG_7381.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7379.jpeg
    IMG_7379.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 18
Also...just to be sure, are the control FETs in the *negative* wire to the batteries, or in the *positive*? It's usually more complex and/or requires different, usually more expensive, FETs for the positive switching, than for the negative, which is why almost all these systems switch just the negative main cell cable.
Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 12.05.17 PM.png

This is the path the positive current takes from the string pos to pack pos, passing through the SCP and the two parallel FET packages.

100percentjake.. thanks. I will make the video public in a few minutes. I took off the Battery Failure headline in the thumbnail and will leave it up to a viewer to notice that the video is twice as long as the range test. I don't like to make clickbait headlines on my videos. It's also partly why I don't get many subscribers or viewers. I would like to see if any else has had a battery failure though, without raising alarm bells if it isn't a common problem. At this point, I may be the only Motocompacto rider who has had a battery failure by simply riding it.

My Honda Dax e just arrived from China yesterday after 60 days at sea. I put it together this morning, and have charging questions. The charger expects 220 not 110. I don't think my step up transformer is up to the job. I don't want to get this Motocompacto thread off topic. Should I start a new thread on endless-sphere or just start a discussion in the subreddit I started for the Dax e?

My 10 pack of surface mount fuses arrived today from Aliexpress. They are miniature versions of what I expecting so I either misread the description, or they shipped the wrong product. They have the same shape and function, so I expect I ordered ones that handle much less amps than what we need. I will read my order and try again to order the right ones.

My order was correct, but the parts that arrived were wrong. I re-ordered five more from a different vendor. I still don't know what I will do when the arrive though.. LOL...

Bypassed the fuse, still no output from the battery. At this point I'm probably going to remove the factory BMS, put an ANT Smart BMS on it and replace the stock controller with a VESC.
I took my battery to the local mobile phone repair shop today and asked the tech if he'd like a challenge. He said sure, so I asked him to change the surface mounted fuse. He said his first attempt failed, when the new fuse blew while he was soldering it in place. He tried again with a second fuse, and I now have 32 volts on either side of the fuse. But just like jake, there is still no output from the battery on the main red and black wires. He did say that there was a cover on the fuse and when you remove the cover, you get a better look at the fuse. I now have three spare fuses left.
I found this in the user manual: "If the scooter goes more than 30 days without being used, it reverts to shipping mode and must be charged to reset the battery." Maybe my battery is now in shipping mode? Maybe shipping mode means no output on the red and black? Tomorrow, I will reassemble the battery and hook it all up and see if the charger works. If if does, then I will leave the charger on until it or the battery either blows up or the charger runs for a couple of hours and the light turns solid green. Then I will see if the Motocompacto turns on.

That sounds like there is a whole lot of proprietary controls on that unit. The things they put on electronics to keep folks from ever working on their own kit...

Best of luck on that. for it to have a timer based on periods between charges it would lead me to believe that there is a second button battery somewhere in there managing an RTC. Might help for troubleshooting to look for one and see where it leads.

This morning, I checked the voltage on either side of the, and it is still ~32v. Put the battery back together and installed it in the Motocompacto. It won't take a charge. Just like before, I get a few green flashes, one red flash, a few more green flashes, and solid green. I am done trying to debug the system. I'll wait for a new battery, although I have no confidence in that solution. I expect that as soon as I install a new battery, the new battery will blow up. I'll move on to other projects, but will continue to monitor this thread.

Just saw this - mine does that sometimes when I try and charge it after a long ride. Blinks green, turns amber or red for a second, blinks green and goes straight to solid green. I just leave it plugged in - after a few minutes - it changes back to flashing and charges to 100 - it’s done this 3-5 times already

Just saw this - mine does that sometimes when I try and charge it after a long ride. Blinks green, turns amber or red for a second, blinks green and goes straight to solid green. I just leave it plugged in - after a few minutes - it changes back to flashing and charges to 100 - it’s done this 3-5 times already
Steve, got my hopes up, but no luck. I let is sit for a half hour, and it just stayed solid green. I am back to just waiting for the battery to come in. I also wonder what I will do if the new battery immediately blow up when I install it. When that happens I think I will just take the whole Motocompacto to the dumpster. I still don't understand why Honda National Customer service doesn't have anyone who knows anything about the Motocompacto and why there is no wiring diagram to be found.

Steve, got my hopes up, but no luck. I let is sit for a half hour, and it just stayed solid green. I am back to just waiting for the battery to come in. I also wonder what I will do if the new battery immediately blow up when I install it. When that happens I think I will just take the whole Motocompacto to the dumpster. I still don't understand why Honda National Customer service doesn't have anyone who knows anything about the Motocompacto and why there is no wiring diagram to be found.
send it to me before it goes in the dumpster, lol. I'll do what I'm doing with mine; new controller, new BMS in the battery, all aftermarket electronics but as close to stock appearance as possible, and the ability to use a range extending second battery. Just wanting on my VESC to show up.

I also have bought a variety pack of mini-molex so I can do all of this without actually modifying the original honda wiring harness. So if Honda recalls these dogshit batteries and releases an improved model, the compacto can be put back to factory

Back