E-Bike Touring with BOB Trailers

titusmc

100 W
I'm scoping out a long distance e-bike trip this summer in New England and I was wondering if anyone here has used a BOB trailer to haul batteries? Basically, they sell the Yak and the Ibex (adds 3" suspension).

I'm curious to hear about people's experiences hauling large amounts of batteries - I'm planning to bring somewhere around 4 kWh (~50lbs of LiCo) with me.

yak-132.jpg

ibex-129.jpg

I have a cheap ass imitation of a bob trailer. I find it easy to haul with 30 pounds, but 50 makes it tippy. Not so much a problem while moving. But parked, it needs it's own kick stand or something.

I don't think I'd want to haul 50 pounds of batteries on any tour, 30 pounds should be 2000 watthours, or close to it. Plenty for 60-80 miles range. Enough range even out west.

30 pounds of battery low and to the front would be a good load out. then carry some lighter stuff in the back of the trailer, like your sleeping stuff, tent.

Put the heaviest stuff on the bike, in low panniers, the cans of food, water, stove, etc. Longtail with a trailer would work good for a tour.

Similarly, makes sense to put 30 pounds of battery on the bike, then put the camping stuff on the trailer. 35 pounds will get you all the camping stuff you need. My trailer may be smaller than the real deal, I found it a bit hard to fit my camp gear on the trailer. That kind of surprised me. I expected it to be a bit bigger.

Go for the suspension IMO. My cheap o has primitive springs, but they do help save the frame on a big pothole.

The trip I am planning is to my parents house in NH, so I will not need camping gear like most doing "real" touring. My bike currently has two Wald 582 baskets on either side of a Topeak MTX rear rack.

I'm thinking that if I can make the basket attachment secure enough for the extra weight, I may be able to get away with just having a 52V 20 Ah battery in each side and one in the rack bag, for a total of roughly 3000 Wh. I currently use 2 hose clamps per basket, but I'd like something a bit more substantial if I'm carrying up to 20 lbs in each basket. That would save me from buying a $400-ish trailer that I may not need yet (I'll certainly get one if I ever do a legit tour).

Right now, my biggest concern is climbing hills when passing through Vermont. I have a 1000W golden motor front hub motor (not sure of the kv).

Your motor is another good reason to lighten up. keep that total load, you, bike, battery, etc under 300 pounds and you will be fine. More, and it will risk melting the motor on the longer hills.

I carry 30 ah on my bike, keeps the battery load under 30 pounds. Get a fast charger, or several slower ones.

Another option, use the $400 to get a geared motor to put on the front wheel. Then you can kick in another 800w or so on those hills.

The cheap o bob trailer is on Amazon. $80 bucks. Buy the motor kit and the trailer. Then you are set to carry all you want, and do the big hills.

Back