E-Bikekit.com 36v 10ah LiFePo4 Battery

Resting voltage = 40.2v

The pack was fully charged before being put out in the cold over a week ago.

Got dressed warmly with no intention of pedaling, full head helmet over my toque, winter boots, gloves and off i went.

Full throttle off the line made the voltage drop to 31v and 25 amps on the meter = 780w :D , but no cutouts by either the BMS or the controller. the eZee motor buzzed up to speed and pulled me along like a champ.

Trip took 36 minutes, consumed 8.1 ah, travelled 15.7 kms . :wink:

I'm very impressed, the pack delivered over 75 % capacity in as cold as just about any insane ebiker would ever ride in. Worth mention that this is an Integrated CA on a crystalyte controller, not the same meter i normall use ( the red one ) as that CA is on my A2B Metro at the moment, however, i have used both meters on this bike before and they are calibrated very close to each other !

Try that with SLA !!!..

After the ride, i removed the pack from the bike, put it in the driveway while i took the bike inside the house.. when i picked up the pack to bring it into the cold garage the handle snapped ! :lol:

Yes.. that is snow in my driveway ! it was not hot enough today to melt it even on black pavement !

So i let the pack sit for an hour after the ride, am now charging in this cold with a CA hooked up to see how much goes back in ! documenting this on video.. will load to youtube later !

Attachments

• brokenhandle.JPG
    brokenhandle.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 2,949
Just went to the garage for a check on things.

After aprox 1 hr of charging, 1.8ah back into the pack, and the charge rate has gone down to 1.4 amps, pack voltage reads 43.4v .

So, something interesting here, just like the voltage dips lower when cold during discharge, voltage goes up to charger's limit pre-maturely in the cold, this will make charging take alot longer and how much energy goes back in will also be a factor. Will udpate later tonight.

Nice vid.

It might be worth taking the charged pack inside and watching the voltage as it warms up.

IIRC, overcharge is common with cold packs.

TylerDurden said:
Nice vid.

It might be worth taking the charged pack inside and watching the voltage as it warms up.

IIRC, overcharge is common with cold packs.

Yes !!.. absolutely.. i recall liveforphysics mentioning this being a big factor with Lipo, curious to see how it plays out with lifepo4.

Ok.. so after fully charging to Green on the charger, i left it in the cold garage for a few hours. CA says 7.7ah back in. Resting voltage off the charger = 40.6v

In the afternoon i took the pack back into the house to warm up and monitored the voltage every hour or so.. the voltage slowly dropped down to 40.3v as of last night and was the same this morning.

So, this pack does not seem to behave like LiPo as the voltage did not rise as the pack warmed back up from a cold charge. Either my method was different or it's a factor of the chemistry !

And since i originally modded the end cap and installed that stupid wire hanging out there, it's been bugging the hell out of me.. so next step was to panel mount some andersons.

E-Bikekit.com has been doing this for a while now, they come with andersons right off the batt.

So i took out the trusty dremel tool.. and hacked up the back of the original AC type plug.

Attachments

• repair2.JPG
    repair2.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 2,620
if you bypass the switch, then someone replicating this should use the key switch for their controller current, and the andersons directly to the drain/source busses for the output FETs. or they could have a switch for the controller circuit current on the controller or dashboard.

Update !

Pack 0001 is still going ! I got it back from " Moe " this week for a checkup, i have no idea how many cycles are on the pack at this point but it's been put thru the mill by about a dozen people as a loaner, winter chill tests, LVC discharges regularly, and partial charges, I"m topping it off right now for a capacity test !!!

Attachments

• ebklifepo420100925.JPG
    ebklifepo420100925.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 2,818
Thanks a lot Y!

You may be able to help me with my silver pack that i purchased on ebay. 48 volt 10 ah

as it is mention in the thread,
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=31251

the pack hit the work bench that caused a small push on the plastic where the charging rca 3/8" mounted femal plug is which in turn squished and came in pieces. the two charging ends from the pack touched and sparked ... i ' ll try to post pics again.

i don't see the 3 amp fused mentioned on this thread on the charging side (is it on the back side of bms board ?)

Back