E.S. Quotable Quotes !

Uncle Fechter: "Consider yourself warned. If that kind of behavior continues, I will have no choice but to ban you from yet another bike forum. "

Malcolm:
Is it just me, or does that guy above look as if he's riding inside an enormous red condom?

xyster said:
Stevil_Knevil said:
I would trade 100 Randy's for 1 Xyster!

-S

So conversely, 1 Xyster = about 100 Randy's ?

Crap, I had no idea I was THAT annoying!

:lol:

Beagle123 said:
I don't plan to use blinkers (they just helps people run you over).
:lol:

Lowell said:
If everyone agreed, there would be no worthwhile discussion going on.

safe said:
The fact of the matter is the spreadsheets are correct and until an error... a "true" error which makes the results incorrect "materializes"... I will maintain that I've produced a nice little "tool".

Hey, it's more than anyone else has done here... :roll:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1062&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90

safe said:
Lowell said:
100% operational duty cycle, as in the motor could run at that power level forever without burning up since there is never more heat created than the housing can dissipate.

That's not a standard usage for "duty cycle". Normally duty cycle is supposed to mean the percentage of time that a PWM controller is in the "open" state. When the gate is open a lot you have a high percentage of the voltage passing through to the motor and it's said that you have a high percentage duty cycle number. In a hyper-simplified simulation with a fixed gear they are more or less related, but not on a geared bike.

The way you are using "duty cycle" you're thinking in terms of what percentage of time that "in operation" the rpms are at peak power or some other rpm. So you're creating a source of potential confusion. :?

What is the real name of the "operational duty cycle" if that phrase is incorrect?

:arrow: Anyone?

Stevil Knevil said:
It's a thin line between clever and stupid, and I plowed right across it :roll:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

safe wrote:
There are two types of people on this forum. There are those that use hub motors and there are those that use chains along with some type of gearing. The "bottom line" is that for the same power output from a given motor the geared bike can span a range of roughly double it's fixed gear counterpart. So the "high low" of hill climb verses top speed means you get twice as much out of the same motor with gears. On the flip side, you can use a hub motor and then simply double the voltage (and power) and get more or less the same result. Both are illegal in most places (depending on your local laws for motor power and acceptable top speed) so it's up to you how you want to break the law if that's what you had in mind. (mine does 40 mph on the flat with a 1000 watt motor)

I like gears myself... it allows me to use a smaller motor and when it comes to a hill I simply slow down and gear down rather than go for the "Big Iron" hub motor and high voltage to force my way though. The police seem to like the idea of a small motor being used with gears. (at least they seemed to like it when I showed it to them)

-------------
Xyster replied:

"That's the most balanced, insightful statement regarding hubmotors and geared motors I've ever read from you, Safe! I'm deeply impressed. Right before our eyes, you're growing up to be such a fine young man "

---------------------------------------------

Oh god i almost pissed myself.. that was great.. :D

I liked the oxymoron-ish "(actual paraphrase)" part -- I suppose that's like a verbatim paraphrase? :)

And the most bizarre analogy award goes to...
kisshu said:
i bought a $89 mongoose gmx aluminum from walmart with shimano components a few years ago and its still working great. the frame is too small but at that price i was willing to sacrifice until i found something that suited me better.
a girl could easily spend 1000 dollars on a designer bikini or more on a dress but they function the same and i could put her in some $200 clothes that would make her just as hot and you could have more fun without woring about stains

xyster said:
And the most bizarre analogy award goes to...
kisshu said:
i bought a $89 mongoose gmx aluminum from walmart with shimano components a few years ago and its still working great. the frame is too small but at that price i was willing to sacrifice until i found something that suited me better.
a girl could easily spend 1000 dollars on a designer bikini or more on a dress but they function the same and i could put her in some $200 clothes that would make her just as hot and you could have more fun without woring about stains

I tuned out before the end of that post, but now that I've read the whole thing :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back