Eaton APR48-3G 1.8kW Light Compact Charger PSU

HK12K said:
Eaton's are awesome but without something in the middle to regulate things they're just a power supply. Most ebikers use stand alone chargers that handle cc/cv and termination. An Eaton on it's own will not do this. For those who own Adaptto's and Nucular's which offer on board charging via (just about) any DC input however, the Eaton really shines.

Eaton is CC/CV charger with program EEPROM

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66169&p=1255648#p1255648

Hello everyone,
I am a radio amateur from San Marino (T72DF) and repair technician.
I would need the manual service or the schematic of the EATON APR48-3G PSU, for a repair.
Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance
Dany
My email: info@electronic-center-rsm.com

BH4SKM said:
honya96 said:
Still no one knows how to limit current by HW?

current can be adjusted by hardware, 0 ~ 38A

Think I found our friend video for the hardware adjustable current modification of the APR48-3G.

Unfortunately it's in Chinese...

Even if I don't understand anything it does not seem to be easy anyway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhPeFq1HjHM

I found a schematic for the electronic of the FlatPack 2.

There are some similarities with the APR48-3G but the quality of the file is quite low

Difficult to read everything but if it cant help to find how to change current via an hardware mod it would be awesome :)

FlatPack2_Schem.png

I thought these sort of units were designed to be controlled by an MCU based controller using standard comms protocols?

When you spend tens of thousands on these in a rack system, there is documentation and support channels available.

I would think chasing that down would be easier than messing with hardware mods

I tried to use the Eaton Patch Tool you can find here at the beginning of the topic (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1sNQs8gfn7ibldkZHdXaXRkUEk) but neither "eeprom.bin" nor "test.bin" files which are in the folder with Eaton.exe are working, I have always "Error: File Not Open"

I tried with the file I extracted from my eaton but nothing better.

I tried to run Eaton.exe as administrator or with Windows 7 (I'm one Windows 10) compatibility mode but nothing better either.

Could someone (re)download the file and tell me if it is working ?

Otherwise any suggestions are welcome :)

It is possible to re-program Eaton so you can have lower voltage and lower amps, this is perfect if you have 14s battery with Adaptto system. Or you want to bulk charge to your preferrable voltage during a simple bulk charge.

First you need to get a 2USD USBasp USBISP 3.3V / 5V AVR Programmer, I used this one:
View attachment 3

Then drill out all pop rivets and open the case:
View attachment 191774

Then using pin out diagram to solder on the wires:
View attachment 191773

After that, download the software (Eaton Software.zip), you will need:
-usbasp driver
-Khazama AVR programmer(software that extracts the original EEPROM file from the Eaton and writes back your modified)
-Eaton patch tool(with this one you modify settings in your EEPROM file, like voltage and amps)

Install driver and solder on the wires, connect USB programmer to eaton and plug in programmer to your computer. DO NOT plug in you Eaton to wall socket!
If done correctly you will see two Eaton LEDs lit up(one will flash):
View attachment 191776

Once Windows recognize USB Programmer, open up Khazama AVR programmer.
Choose ATMEGA32 in AVR scroll down window. You can test communication by choosing "Command" -> Read Chip Signature
Now you need to read your current EEPROM from Eaton. Command->Read EEPROM to buffer
Then you need to save it to a file. File->Save EEPROM buffer As... Save it to something like DefaultEaton.hex
Start Eaton patch tool, Eaton.exe
Open your saved hex file
You will see current values. Change to what suits you and press Patch
Open up Khazama and load you patched file. File->Load EEPROM file to Buffer
Now write the file to Eaton. Command->Write EPROM buffer to Chip
During write LEDs will turn of on the Eaton.
Then you will get Write OK in Khazama
View attachment 191777

View attachment 191778

Good luck!
I have some EATON APR48-ES which are the same but 3000W output. The control board inside is different, does anyone have any information on how to connect the USB AVR to this model?

It is possible to re-program Eaton so you can have lower voltage and lower amps, this is perfect if you have 14s battery with Adaptto system. Or you want to bulk charge to your preferrable voltage during a simple bulk charge.

First you need to get a 2USD USBasp USBISP 3.3V / 5V AVR Programmer, I used this one:
View attachment 3

View attachment 191774

View attachment 191773

-usbasp driver
-Khazama AVR programmer(software that extracts the original EEPROM file from the Eaton and writes back your modified)
-Eaton patch tool(with this one you modify settings in your EEPROM file, like voltage and amps)

Install driver and solder on the wires, connect USB programmer to eaton and plug in programmer to your computer. DO NOT plug in you Eaton to wall socket!
View attachment 191776

Choose ATMEGA32 in AVR scroll down window. You can test communication by choosing "Command" -> Read Chip Signature
Now you need to read your current EEPROM from Eaton. Command->Read EEPROM to buffer
Then you need to save it to a file. File->Save EEPROM buffer As... Save it to something like DefaultEaton.hex
Open your saved hex file
View attachment 191777

View attachment 191778

Good luck!
Hi, I can connect usbasp and read eeprom data successfully with 3.3V usbasp voltage with both led remain off. It is safe to use 5V usbasp (jumper on) to connect to this board?
Thank You

View attachment 3

View attachment 191774

View attachment 191773

-usbasp driver

View attachment 191776

Open your saved hex file
View attachment 191777

View attachment 191778

Good luck!
Why it doesn't work on me? . I used USBasp ISP, but it detected as USBHID? what should I do?

Why it doesn't work on me? . I used USBasp ISP, but it detected as USBHID? what should I do?
You need install the driver from the downloaded zip file. Mine don't work on windows 11 (I have newer libusb from zadig, can't downgrade the driver), but work on windows 10, using manual driver update in device manager.

You need install the driver from the downloaded zip file. Mine don't work on windows 11 (I have newer libusb from zadig, can't downgrade the driver), but work on windows 10, using manual driver update in device manager.
now it worked sir . and I observed that in the control board part are warming. what means?

Hello guys,

Im new here and read through this thread with great interest.
I plan to use three of these in series to fast charge the NiCD pack of my EV. (3x50V=150V. Topped off by the onboard charger to 163V)
The pack can go as low as about 110V in practial use, which would be about 36V per device.
Can anyone confirm the behavior of the devices with a programmed setting of 50V and 30A?
Will it:
- go down to 36V and current limit to 30A? (what I want it to do)
- go down to 36V, but without current limitation as it is below the 43V spec? (what I DONT want it to do, but has been indicated by a post here)
- completely switch off?

thank you!
BR, Alexander

Back