EBIKE using Lawn mower batteries

Nf5384

10 µW
I'm wanting to convert a bike, I plan to run some 120V 2.5ah Yardforce lithium batteries..
I found a couple 120V controllers, just no idea on what motor to use.

2 batteries give me 600WH..4 give me 1200wh.
Batteries only take 30 mins to recharge

Any insight?

My other battery system I use is Milwauke fuel, but 4 12ah batteries will only yield 864WH and take allot longer per recharge per single battery.

Welcome to the forum.
-It depends on what your goals are and what you plan to use the bike for. 120v will spin most ebike motors up to freeway speeds, but at those speeds, the batteries themselves will likely fry trying to supply enough amps. QS 273 can handle that voltage and the power to handle the speeds it will hit with 120v, but it would lunch those batteries.

If you're locked into those batteries, I'd abandon the "hub" part of a hub motor, and mount a bare hub motor as a mid drive, turning the back wheel through a 2:1 belt reduction. that would reduce the speed to "insane" to just "crazy", and reduce the amp draw from "Help me I'm Melting" to ".. But it's a dry heat"

The Milwaukee battery would be easier to match to a motor that could be put in a normal bike frame without turning the frame into a pretzel. At 48v, about any 1000w ebike kit would work. But the only 12v Milwaukee packs i know about are tiny, and couldn't handle the amp draw if a toy. Packs big enough to give you 864WH would work, but I've never seen those.

I'm not saying that the 120V yardforce batteries will not work. I'm sure they will work. But before you make the final purchase, I would recommend doing a full system analysis between that type of pack, and compare it to using an EGO 56V pack (14S, typically called a 52V in ebike forums).

If you do end up using the 120V Yardforce system, please post pics. This sounds interesting.

What sort of bike, use case?

Just because you can fast charge doesn't mean you should, not great for longevity, only do so if you need to.

Do you know if that "120V" is a midpoint or a top charge voltage, how many groups in series?

And link to your controllers?

Its the factory charger, so it's safe
I just want range and larger WH equates to longer battery run times
I get 1hr 20mins on mower
I don't plan to take case off to build a custom one
Just want to use as is then when down charge and use for mower
I already have the yardforce lawn mower and weed whacker

No idea on those, just know they're Samsung cells..probably the same as the 120v redbacks

https://www.amazon.com/48-120V-Brushless-Controller-Electric-Tricycle/dp/B07SSPBT2S?th=1&psc=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/120V-1500W-Electric-Bicycle-E-bike-Scooter-Brushless-DC-Motor-Speed-Controller/164191395107?_trkparms=aid%3D1110001%26algo%3DSPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20191002094254%26meid%3D48686ff245bf480d803463b737080aac%26pid%3D100891%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D142990552133%26itm%3D164191395107%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2332490&_trksid=p2332490.c100891.m5206

This looks like it may work? But gonna search for a cheaper route

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32917305741.html?pid=808_0000_0101&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32917305741&aff_trace_key=946f7449167f4431aff836f72f407e3a-1588648452323-00095-UneMJZVf&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=2870amp-s_P321Sbwle6_BPedQp-Zw1589066146961&browser_id=56c72bcbb15247de8c13a29cf9a34ec9&is_c=N

Cheaper than $50?

Why?

Those battery packs aren't cheap. . .

If you ever learn the answers to my questiins above, please post them, I was not worried about the charger being unsafe. . .

The YF120vRX battery has 30 cells inside - each is 4v = 120v peak

Waiting to see if the cells are 21700 or 18650

120v 2.5ah, sounds more like 250whr. Two in parallel seems like it should get you somewhere with a mid powered motor, something you'd be running 1500 watts through, plus or minus.

Not something huge like that 273 qs motor.

But volts that high and ah that comparatively low sounds hard to manage. Most ebike eq can't take that many volts. And you'd need a really slow wind.

Maybe you could use a DC to DC converter and step it down to a constant 50v, fed into any number of normal ebike kits. You'd lose some energy, but get constant voltage regardless of SOC.

No do not mess with DCDC conversion for mainline power, just auxiliary stuff.

Select the voltage system you need for the power / range / hardware to be used, then base the batteries you buy off that.

Yes 120V makes the chargers / controller etc lots more expensive, whole system a lot less safe.

OP, what is your real reason for wanting to go so high?

The purpose is he already has the batteries and doesn't want to buy a new pack if these will work.

The controller steps down the voltage, perhaps that could be enough? Use a 120v controller and a 48v motor and never let the controller go over 50% pwm?

Maybe someone who knows more than me would know if that would let the magic smoke out.

Sounds very inefficient.

There **are** plenty of high-voltage controllers out there

just rarely used for bikes

I would just salvage the cells if I got them for free, and make them into a 52V pack, or maybe 72V if appropriate for the use case

Jenming said:
The purpose is he already has the batteries and doesn't want to buy a new pack if these will work.

The controller steps down the voltage, perhaps that could be enough? Use a 120v controller and a 48v motor and never let the controller go over 50% pwm?

Maybe someone who knows more than me would know if that would let the magic smoke out.

As long as the controller itself can handle the battery voltage, you can always use it with a lower voltage motor. The only catch is that the motor will spin faster than you want it to at full throttle, so as you note you'd need to use lower throttle input (limit with voltage divider, etc) to have lower average motor voltage, or use a controller (or something like the Cycle Analyst) to limit speed, if the motor spins faster than you want in the wheel size you need.

Nothing should let any smoke out as long as you are not exceeding the power the motor can handle, so it doesn't overheat, and the current demanded by the controller is set to not exceed what the battery can supply (which is probably not much), regardless of conditions.

If the controller is not the type to strictly limit current to *never* exceed the battery limit you specify, it could spike current demand high enough under high load conditions (startup from a stop, hills) for long enough to cause the battery's BMS to either shutdown, or to fail (blow fuses, blow up FETs, etc) if the BMS is unable to handle it.

The controller is a type of DC-DC converter, so it can step voltage down, but how exactly it does this in response to the throttle depends on it's design and programming, any user-available settings, and conditions at the time. As long as it is the common cheap ebike controller type, it will probably use a PWM-throttle, sometimes called a speed throttle (though it isn't, actually), and you can essentially directly control the motor voltage this way.

If it uses a torque (current) throttle, or a power throttle, then you don't have any direct control over motor voltage, only torque (or power), but this type of throttle is usually easier to control, depending on the total system and conditions.

If you want to see how this would affect the system, you should go to http://ebikes.ca/simulator, and pick stuff to make a system similar to what you want (doesn't ahve to be exact). Since there arent' any 120v batteries there, you can either choose custom and "make" one, or you can simply pick a 72v system (battery and controller) and motor typically used on a 36v or 24v system to see approximately what effect you get using it at only 50% throttle in various situations (slopes, speeds, etc). Before you start playing with it, read the entire page so you know how it works and what everythign does. (otherwise it can be confusing)

john61ct said:
Sounds very inefficient.

There **are** plenty of high-voltage controllers out there

just rarely used for bikes

I would just salvage the cells if I got them for free, and make them into a 52V pack, or maybe 72V if appropriate for the use case

I got one of these a while back for a 28S battery I had:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/120V-1500W-Electric-Bicycle-E-bike-Scooter-Brushless-DC-Motor-Speed-Controller/142990552133

The seller said when I asked, that the LVC was 60V, and the “soft low voltage” feature kicks in at 72V. Which makes me think this is actually a 72V controller that can be overvolted to 120V nominal.

It doesn’t solve the motor speed problem that comes with too-high voltage, but it is an available controller.

Back