Ebike XC race event?

Jackrabbit

100 W
Hi. I put a post up in the general discussion forum but I think it might be better off here.

I was wondering if anyone was interested in taking part in a XC ebike race/fun ride? I was thinking about a course of around 10 miles with the emphasis on having fun and not taking it too seriously, obviously a bit of friendly competition wouldn't go amiss though :)

It would be great to meet up and ride with fellow ebikers and see how others have developed their bikes. Any one up for something like this?

Hi Jack rabbit. I think that sounds like a great idea. Maybe we could think about getting a route set up out my way on Exmoor? Like you say, 10 -15 miles ride with a pub stop at the end for chatting about all things e-bike?

Exmoor would be great, a fantastic place to ride with beautiful scenery, brilliant trails and good pubs too! We just need a few more of us now.

Agreed it would be ace if there was an organised race series for E-bikes. Maybe there already is but I haven't found one. I do a fair bit of XC racing but can't really see that crowd embracing an extra race class made up of E-bikes. Is it just not popular enough to make it viable?

Well all these things start small. If we could get say 20 of us together, have a laugh and take a few photos then post them up here then maybe a few more people would be interested for next time etc, etc. I really think its the best way of encouraging development and we all get to have a good laugh at the same time.

I think the general MTB crowd would not embrace an ebike event, most of my cycling friends consider ebike's the spawn of the devil for some reason.

Fully agree. Don't see why a "regulated" e-bike race class wouldn't fly. Maybe something like:
1. Must have pedals
2. Must be pedelec, i.e. pedal sensor, no throttles.
3. Some power limit (maybe 500-1000W?)

No sure what would be more effective, a highly publicised initial event, or as you suggest a casual event that "goes viral".

Yes, there would need to either be restrictions or different classes as in endurance racing. I'd like to see as many different bikes as possible so I think different classes would be best. I do think functional pedals are a must though. It would be primarily for fun and getting like minded people together.

Perhaps we should just start with a meet that's open to anyone and everyone. We could all just go for a ride and head for a pub somewhere after. I'd be interested in seeing things like Stealth Bombers as much as the self build stuff and just finding people to ride with. Once we've all got a regular crowd together we could sort out a race/races. Seems a bit premature to be talking race categories, if we got six of us together I'd be pretty chuffed.

Back