Elation 200Watt on Yuba Mundo - Electric Longtail Cargo

all74

100 mW
I have now basically completed my Mundo Build and thought I would post some of the electric relevant details. For more details of the problems building a Mundo from the frame up check my blog My Yuba Mundo Build, http://www.keller74.wordpress.com

The Elation Kit was pretty quick to fit (quicker than fitting mudguards anyway!) of course there were a couple of small hiccups.

The main strap mounts are great and seem very secure. There is also an adjustable “torque” bolt on the left side designed to run from the plate up to the seatpost to aid in keeping the motor from slipping. It is one of those adjustable double threaded rods you find holding the mast of a sailing boat up or on wire ballistrading.

elation-torque-bolt-not-fitting.jpg

elation-torque-bolt-fitting1.jpg

I could not get it to fit right (without bending the torque bolt) a factor of the wide Mundo frame as the bottom strap prevents the bolt angling back to the seatpost. So I ran it further back to a bar behind the seatpost and attached it with the smaller clamp (needed to shim the smaller clamp with a bit of old inner tube). Seems secure and hasn't moved over 30Ks travel.

My problem with the battery mounts was that the plastic plate didn’t have holes drilled. I drilled some as Allan at Elation suggested I could, but the bolts were too loose so I just used some other nuts and bolts I had hanging around and it fits fine.

So I fitted everything up, hand grips, accelerator, zip tied everything securely and went for a ride….a short ride. I broke the main bike chain (not the motor drive chain) about 1k from home. Bugger…my fault I guess, Im not too experienced at breaking and rejoining chains and I guess one of my links was poor and a side plate had slipped loose.

While it went, it went great. I can’t give you any speed data as it was the middle of the night and I couldn’t see my speedo! I have a lot of steep short hills near my place and it climbed well, I did need to pedal to do it at any speed of course, but for 200 Watts it went great.

Since then I have ridden it to work today about 7-8 ks each was with a 7yo on board for 2-3k of that it went good, but I'll be honest and say my greenewheels (200wat 36v Bafang Motor) seems to have better hill climbing but then that bike was much lighter. Top speed on the Mundo was today about 31kph (not got a back brake yet so not keen to go too fast just yet)

More Photos to follow soon

Cheers Mark

Bike going well, all but done. stoker bars and rear brake issue are the only outstanding issues. With the rear disc brake on the Mundo, long story short, the Mundo will not fit Avid BB7 disc sizes over 160mm rotor size (at least I hope the 160 will fit, having been through 203mm and 185mm!)

The Elation kits has likely been the easiest part of the build, it gets better the more I ride it as I get used to working through the gears more efficiently. With my other hub motor I either selected top gear or bottom gear, ignoring everything in between.

Only niggle with the Elation was the chain guard which seem to have been hot glued into place and fell off a the first touch of my foot. No big deal

Pics
elation-header-update1.jpg

elation-right-side.jpg

update-18-feb.jpg

soft-spots.jpg

Mark
My Yuba Mundo Build http://www.keller74.wordpress.com

Back