Electric-fat bikes.com Replica

I am building a second fat eBike using the recipe developed at electric-fat bike.com, my first was a great success and turned out just as described at the site. For the second one I am going to try to document as much of the build as possible.

I will be adding a BBSHD and a Luna Shark battery to a Bikes Direct Gravity Deadeye Monster single speed fat bike, as well as a three speed Nexus rear hub. For $399 BD delivers a bike with 80mm rims, 4" tires, disc brakes and a frame design that, in the 17.5" size is a perfect fit for the BBSHD. My first replica uses a 20ah triangle battery, but I am going with a more streamlined look this build with the Shark pack.

Yesterday I unboxed the bike and got it into the work-stand in the morning and drove down to Luna Cycles in the afternoon to exchange a Shark battery and pickup a new BBSHD. Unfortunately, I neglected to check the battery before I left and when I got home I found that it was dead, hopefully I will be able to get another on Boxing Day....

I added a third threaded receptacle to the two bottle mounts and secured the mount for the Shark pack. I also added an XT-90s sparkless connector between the battery and the motor, but hid it inside of the battery mount for a cleaner installation.

I used my die grinder to remove the tip of the lug on the BBSHD to allow the drive to swing fully up against the downtube and dressed it with a small drum sander in the dremel. It still needs touch up paint......

I have pictures of all this and I will try to post them tomorrow.

So, bike to start... naked?
877834d1395142302-dolo-semi-wild-mongoose-dolomite-848034d1384881021t-moto-bikes-direct-fatbikes-gravity-deadeye-monster.jpg

Any updates on this? I'm planning on doing a Gravity deadeye monster for my first build, and having a hell of a time trying to figure out how the offset is gonna affect building the rear wheel up. Planning on getting a 36H fat rim, and swapping it out for the rim on a Chinese 1000w 48v ebay kit.

Thanks!

The bike is running fine although these days it has a 5-speed SA hub installed. The motor and big triangle battery are still giving the same power and range as the day they were installed. I got tired of arm pump and wrist pain and put an RST Renegade fatbike fork on instead of the rigid. In retrospect, I should have waited and saved up a bit longer for a Bluto since the stiction of the Renegade is terrible: no matter how you adjust it, it's still nowhere near as smooth as a Bluto.

I have no idea how a hub motor would work with this frame.

Back