• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Electric Girvin Basman

Hello again.
The first photos show the extra long rods that I got made to be able to fit a 4x24 inch rim.
Note the 'off center' thread on one of the rods.
Also the rest of the Girvin fork has been disassembled.
This is to aid cleaning, modification, copper plating and anodizing.
Hopefully these photos will help others to disassemble one of these, it will certainly help me put it back together. lol
The final photo shows all of the parts, apart from washers, nuts etc.. which are in the plastic bags by the side.
These parts have gone through one process of cleaning.
Next I will be sanding out surface scratches before sending some parts to be anodized black and others copper plated.
The fork legs still have some modifications to undergo.
Both will have their original brake attachments removed and one of them will be fitted with a disk brake attachment.
Hope this comes in use to someone if they ever attempt the same thing.

Best

Cal

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 1,975
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,975
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,975
  • photo 1-1.JPG
    photo 1-1.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,975
  • photo 2-1.JPG
    photo 2-1.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,975
  • photo 3-1.JPG
    photo 3-1.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,975
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,975
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,975
  • final.JPG
    final.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,975
Hi Guys.
Long time since last I was on.
Life got in the way a little.
Long and short of it though, is that I'm back on the project...
Only problem is, the spokes given by Crystlayte were too short...
Seems that this happens often with them, even when you give them details of your rim.
Kind of understandable as I have a 4 x 24 inch rims, which are quite large, so it may be confusing.
Anyway, as you can see by the pictures, the hub is only partially laced.
I am getting new spokes at the right size, and once I have them confirmed, I will post those details up in case someone gets into the same situation with their TC Crown for 4x24 inch bike rims.
Anyway couldn't resist carefully pumping up the tires and cautiously assembling her, to have a look.
I think she is shaping up well.
Once the spokes are done, next will be crank and seat.
Then brakes, controller, batteries and then... try her out!
Before disassembling it all and copper plating, black anodising, black matt coating where appropriate.
Final step will be a nixie tube display... and covers for electronics.
Will take time though :), but I'm in no rush
I'll keep you all posted on any future developments.

Best

Cal

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 1,801
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 1,801
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 1,801
Loving the look of this build.

So good.

What is the brand/name of the forks ?

Kudos

Thank you Kudos
The forks are Girvin. I had them widened to accomadate a 4inch rim. They are about 20years old, but aluminium.. And in good nick. You can get them if you look for them hard enough and long enough. They are great if you want to widen them for extra wide rims as all you need to do is make two longer bars and a few spacers. Earlier in this build is a breakdown of you fancy doing it yourself.

Best

Cal

Ok, so I havn't had time to do much on the bike at the moment. I am getting married and all my/our free cash is going on saving for the day. In the meantime I have been designing the battery/electronics case. It will fit 36-40 AH comfortably. I will be going for a Max-e controller and using the flat surface on top for guages and switches etc...
The lines I have designed are trying to be reminiscent of 50's sports cars etc... Comments welcome

Best

Cal

Attachments

• IMG_0141.mov
    4.2 MB
I have one of those Noleen linkage forks on an old tandem of mine, and kept glancing back and forth between that and my Luna. Wasn't sure what would be involved in widening it. Now I know. Keep it up!

Callumrexreid said:
spinningmagnets said:
Take lots of pictures of the entire build process...you never know when someone will want to write an article about it!

Hi, yes I will.
I'll be uploading a boat load tomorrow as I've just got back the two rods from the precision engineer (Stewart Precision Engineering Ltd... really great guy. known him for a while and highly recommend if you live near by - Brighton/England)
This means I can put my fork back together and view it on the frame with the front wheel.

Can I just say that electricbike.com has been one of the key sources of inspiration and information for me. I point people to it on a regular basis and am very grateful for the great work that you guys do.

Please keep it up as you will always have an avid fan/reader in me.

Best

Cal

This is a great post, awesome project, exactly what I needed. I am ratifying a Sondors Fat E-Bike (I will start a thread). I have some girvins with a 1 & 1/8 inch headset. So I have precisely the same issues in getting the forks to fit the 4" rims and wide hubs. I have bought some black BOA-G slicks @26x3.45 I am reasonably confident that they will fit the forks (length wise).
So I will approach Stewart Precision Engineering Ltd and ask for the same spindles as they made for you. Would you know what size the four bolts are? mine are rusty.
I will have the brake bosses cut off (mine are welded on) and then have a disc mount brazed on.
BTW you can face the girvin legs forward, I did, it looks much better, creates no problems and gives some extra wheelbase length..

Love the design of your bike!
I have a set of Girvin/Noleen forks waiting for a fattening up also.
I just finished my first e-bike build (Mid drive Cargo bike build up) and all went well.
Having alot of fun with this and this and good luck on your build.

Thank you everyone. Ive had to stall this build whilst I get married. May try to make battery cover, but otherwise build has stopped until mid May :)
Looking forward to moving it forward soon.
Thanks for all the words of encouragement.

Best

Cal

Callumrexreid said:
Thank you everyone. Ive had to stall this build whilst I get married. May try to make battery cover, but otherwise build has stopped until mid May :)
Looking forward to moving it forward soon.
Thanks for all the words of encouragement.
Best
Cal

Congrats mate! She/he should appreciate the fact your paused your build!!

Back