Electric Longboard Build Help

NyOliver said:
There is an a single part in the hobby that isn't damaged easily, if you DO something wrong.

Put it this way, a 30 W soldering iron is hot right? You wouldn't want to grab it, and when 1500 W comes out of your heat gun, girlfriends blow dryer, that's a crazy amount of energy, right?

You are trying to harness all that power, wirelessly, and vibrating heavily, so if it's a bad design or wiring, mayhem will occur. Your car esc will probably break 1st though. I see no evidence the vesc is unreliable. YMMV.

Ok, I will look into the VESC again. Would this be an acceptable charger or would the charge time be very long compared to another that is only 10-15$ more? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__76462__IMAX_B6_AC_DC_Charger_5A_50W_With_US_Plug_Copy_.html

bbcane78 said:
NyOliver said:
There is an a single part in the hobby that isn't damaged easily, if you DO something wrong.

Put it this way, a 30 W soldering iron is hot right? You wouldn't want to grab it, and when 1500 W comes out of your heat gun, girlfriends blow dryer, that's a crazy amount of energy, right?

You are trying to harness all that power, wirelessly, and vibrating heavily, so if it's a bad design or wiring, mayhem will occur. Your car esc will probably break 1st though. I see no evidence the vesc is unreliable. YMMV.

Ok, I will look into the VESC again. Would this be an acceptable charger or would the charge time be very long compared to another that is only 10-15$ more? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__76462__IMAX_B6_AC_DC_Charger_5A_50W_With_US_Plug_Copy_.html

If you are serious about lipo charging, i would go to an iCharger. I have one of the non "copy" (clone) Imax b6ac v2's. Good little slow charger. Your limitation is charge time since you are maxed at 5Amps.
(here is a bunch of good "parallel" charging info)

Let's compare setups. If you have 4 5000mAh 3s 20c batteries (pretty decent and commonly used batteries). Their max charge rate is 2C (10A = 5000mAh x 2C).

Simply charging one 5000mAh lipo @1C will max out your 5A limit on the iMax B6AC and take about 1h 15min. (x4 for all your packs = 5 hours before you are ready to roll again). Charging at 2C would be 10A for one battery and about 40min to full (harder on battery life so most recommend 1C Max or less to maximize battery life). BUT having the option to hammer in some amps to get riding NOW vs later is a great option! IMO. 2C isn't possible w/ the iMax B6AC w/ those packs. Let alone other lipos now that can charge at 5/8/more C! Not how i charge normally - but great option to have in a hurry!!

Multiple packs charging at the same time is where you start to save tons of time. So those same 4 5000mAh 3s batteries using a parallel charging board w/ a decent charger - instead of 5 hours individually, you can charge them all in 1:15, but would need a charger that can do 20A (5A ea), with a DC power supply that can provide minimum of 315w.

Slower is honestly better for the batteries. Folks recommend different charge rates - if i have time i usually use .5C.

Here are some calculators to figure out charge times and power required (both Amps and Power supply requirements).

Simple charge time calculator

Parallel charge calculator w/ power supply requirements.

My overbuilt setup is an iCharger 308, with dual 750/1500w Dell server power supplies (12v and 24v in series) with max load of 50-60A iirc. If you look at the voltage supplied to charger you will see how higher voltage is more efficient (in second calculator). The iCharger limit is 30A, and the parallel board i have is 40A limited as well. Overbuilt like i said.

A good iCharger (or similar) charger is worth the investment if you are serious about charging lipo's. (and other chemistries). Add in a decent AC/DC power supply - any of the hobbyking 350/500w ones, or a nicer dedicated one will probably cost you about the same as a dell server power supply w/ 2-3x the capacity. Just louder w/ server fans and some additional wiring complexity (also = flexibility). I charge via two chargers off same set of power supplies sometimes at the same time.

Tons and tons of ways to do this. My way isn't the best or easiest way by far. But shows options.

HTH - GL!

sl33py said:
bbcane78 said:
NyOliver said:

If you are serious about lipo charging, i would go to an iCharger. I have one of the non "copy" (clone) Imax b6ac v2's. Good little slow charger. Your limitation is charge time since you are maxed at 5Amps.
(here is a bunch of good "parallel" charging info)

Let's compare setups. If you have 4 5000mAh 3s 20c batteries (pretty decent and commonly used batteries). Their max charge rate is 2C (10A = 5000mAh x 2C).

Simply charging one 5000mAh lipo @1C will max out your 5A limit on the iMax B6AC and take about 1h 15min. (x4 for all your packs = 5 hours before you are ready to roll again). Charging at 2C would be 10A for one battery and about 40min to full (harder on battery life so most recommend 1C Max or less to maximize battery life). BUT having the option to hammer in some amps to get riding NOW vs later is a great option! IMO. 2C isn't possible w/ the iMax B6AC w/ those packs. Let alone other lipos now that can charge at 5/8/more C! Not how i charge normally - but great option to have in a hurry!!

Multiple packs charging at the same time is where you start to save tons of time. So those same 4 5000mAh 3s batteries using a parallel charging board w/ a decent charger - instead of 5 hours individually, you can charge them all in 1:15, but would need a charger that can do 20A (5A ea), with a DC power supply that can provide minimum of 315w.

Slower is honestly better for the batteries. Folks recommend different charge rates - if i have time i usually use .5C.

Here are some calculators to figure out charge times and power required (both Amps and Power supply requirements).

Simple charge time calculator

Parallel charge calculator w/ power supply requirements.

My overbuilt setup is an iCharger 308, with dual 750/1500w Dell server power supplies (12v and 24v in series) with max load of 50-60A iirc. If you look at the voltage supplied to charger you will see how higher voltage is more efficient (in second calculator). The iCharger limit is 30A, and the parallel board i have is 40A limited as well. Overbuilt like i said.

A good iCharger (or similar) charger is worth the investment if you are serious about charging lipo's. (and other chemistries). Add in a decent AC/DC power supply - any of the hobbyking 350/500w ones, or a nicer dedicated one will probably cost you about the same as a dell server power supply w/ 2-3x the capacity. Just louder w/ server fans and some additional wiring complexity (also = flexibility). I charge via two chargers off same set of power supplies sometimes at the same time.

Tons and tons of ways to do this. My way isn't the best or easiest way by far. But shows options.

HTH - GL!

So what are some parralel charging boards and power supplies you would recommend?

I'd go with a 4mm HXT Parallel Charging board or similar depending on your battery connectors.

You can use 350W or 550W HobbyKing Power Charger.

IMO 350W Power Supply for $40 or 540W for $65 is fairly cheap for a put together power supply. Beats having to wire your own computer power supply and a much smaller form factor/portable.

torqueboards said:
I'd go with a 4mm HXT Parallel Charging board or similar depending on your battery connectors.

You can use 350W or 550W HobbyKing Power Charger.

IMO 350W Power Supply for $40 or 540W for $65 is fairly cheap for a put together power supply. Beats having to wire your own computer power supply and a much smaller form factor/portable.

So i'm looking at this board, http://www.amazon.com/Parallel-Charge-Board-JST-XH-HXT/dp/B00CD9ZAQA and these two power supplies and am wondering what the difference in input voltage will have. And I am also a little confused as to what the output numbers will mean in terms of charging. One is 100-120v and the other is 220-240v. Or should i just forget about those power supplies and just get this ac/dc charger and use the parallel board with that?

Power supplies
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17423__HobbyKing_350w_25A_Power_Supply_100v_120v_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17424__HobbyKing_350w_25A_Power_Supply_220v_240v_.html

AC/DC
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=58285

The motor you listed to be purchased in your previous post is the 6364.. It requires 10s. No more, no less. How are you going to get that voltage with the 3S pack?

Also, get the VESC. it can directly interface with the Kama / nunchuck, and you save $25 since you don't need a wiiceiver.

Montiey said:
The motor you listed to be purchased in your previous post is the 6364.. It requires 10s. No more, no less.

Will you please explain this or send me a link that does. I have this motor and I am building my first board. It was my understanding that 10s is the stated max voltage(37v) of this motor. Why would 6s,7s,8s,9s not be compatible. I want to be sure this is accurate information.

Thanks

Montiey said:
The motor you listed to be purchased in your previous post is the 6364.. It requires 10s. No more, no less. How are you going to get that voltage with the 3S pack?

Also, get the VESC. it can directly interface with the Kama / nunchuck, and you save $25 since you don't need a wiiceiver.

From all the stuff I have read it does not seem like this is accurate but I would like to know why you think this and if anyone can confirm what he is saying.

It can go no more than 10s, but will work with less than 10s. Even nominal 10s, which is 37 volts, is not the max. Your battery pack's voltage is much higher than that fresh off the charger.

LEVer said:
It can go no more than 10s, but will work with less than 10s. Even nominal 10s, which is 37 volts, is not the max. Your battery pack's voltage is much higher than that fresh off the charger.

Thank you for clarifying that.

Yes lever...thank you for the clarification. It is a challenge to weed through some of the misinformation.

Bbcane- If you order the HK 350w power supply, you have to get the one that is appropriate to your power outlet. I live in the US and have 120v at the outlets in my garage....so that's the one I ordered. The 220/240 would not have worked for me.

Relaxnfly said:
Yes lever...thank you for the clarification. It is a challenge to weed through some of the misinformation.

Bbcane- If you order the HK 350w power supply, you have to get the one that is appropriate to your power outlet. I live in the US and have 120v at the outlets in my garage....so that's the one I ordered. The 220/240 would not have worked for me.

So would you recommend the power supply or the ACDC charger?

I went with the HK 350w power supply and the turnigy Reactor 300w 20a charger http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__44112__Turnigy_Reaktor_300W_20A_6S_Balance_Charger.html
I chose the charger based on the positive feedback from this RCgroups thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2115921&highlight=Reactor

With that being said I have just started using it and I have little experience. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in and offer advice. The AC/DC charger linked above seems to have limited charging capabilities(slower) for parallel charging multiply high capacity batteries.

Also wondering, would I need a charger aswell for the power supply if I purchase that, or just the parallel board?

Yes ...if you choose the power suppy , you will have to get a charger too and a parallel board if you want to charge more than one battery at a time.

I will just go with this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=58285 and the charging board. Hopefully I shouldn't have any issues. Also is it better to setup the two batteries in series or parallel for powering the motor?

If you want more power....connect in series for increased voltage. If you want more capacity( bigger gas tank) ...connect your bateries in parellel. I suggest you do some additional reading and research.

Cheers

Relaxnfly said:
If you want more power....connect in series for increased voltage. If you want more capacity( bigger gas tank) ...connect your bateries in parellel. I suggest you do some additional reading and research.

Cheers

I am now thinking a 10,000 9S2P battery (2 9S1P 5A/h) but I am having trouble finding a decent charger for up to 10S batteries, I am putting the 9S batteries together with 3 3S batteries so I don't even know how the pins would work with a balancing cable. Are there other cables on the batteries I can use to charge them, and does anyone know of any 10S chargers that won't cost a fortune.

I had originally planned on only using 4 3S1P batteries and connection them as a 10,000 6S2P. And I would have charged it with 2 of these, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10993__Twin_pack_charge_lead_2_x_3S_6S_w_XT60.html
Would that work/ would i be able to do the same thing with using the batteries as 9S? I wouldnt think so because id have to connect two batteries balancers and the batteries are already in series in two different parallel parts. If this would still work and I could just charge the two 9S batteries as 3 6S batteries with a normal 6S charger? Or would I have to unwire each of the batteries from 9S to make them 2 6S batteries and connect the two 3S batteries removed from each 9S together, then charge them.

bbcane78 said:
Relaxnfly said:

Cheers

I am now thinking a 10,000 9S2P battery (2 9S1P 5A/h) but I am having trouble finding a decent charger for up to 10S batteries, I am putting the 9S batteries together with 3 3S batteries so I don't even know how the pins would work with a balancing cable. Are there other cables on the batteries I can use to charge them, and does anyone know of any 10S chargers that won't cost a fortune.

I had originally planned on only using 4 3S1P batteries and connection them as a 10,000 6S2P. And I would have charged it with 2 of these, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10993__Twin_pack_charge_lead_2_x_3S_6S_w_XT60.html
Would that work/ would i be able to do the same thing with using the batteries as 9S? I wouldnt think so because id have to connect two batteries balancers and the batteries are already in series in two different parallel parts. If this would still work and I could just charge the two 9S batteries as 3 6S batteries with a normal 6S charger? Or would I have to unwire each of the batteries from 9S to make them 2 6S batteries and connect the two 3S batteries removed from each 9S together, then charge them.

If I purchase 3 of these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=10993 and have 2 of the 3 3S batteries connected with this all the time, and keep the last one for when im charging the batteries, could I use 2 of these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10264 to put the 3 3S batteries in series for each part together by having one port connect to the 2 3S already connected via the first link and the last 3S battery connected to the other after replacing the 4mm bullet connector with a male XT60 connector, or would it not work with having one port connected to a 3S and one connected to a 6S?

Montiey said:

That is the motor max voltage. It in no way means that you can't run 2 3s lipos in series for 6s power.

Back