Electric Motorcycle / Bicycle Project

Bjorntsc

100 mW
My name is Bjorn and I am new to forums.
I have been searching this forum for the last 3 months for similar projects and solutions.
I have already done two electric bike projects.
They were not documented and both had issues.

1) Test Build under $300
Santa Cruz Bullit rear triangle and 2009 fox van r (old DH bike)
Homemade custom front triangle (low carbon steel)
600 watt motor (got for $30)
Navatis 100A 24/36V Controller
Magura twist throttle
2X Lead acid batteries 12V / 12A (slightly used but free)
2X 5A chargers
Twist key kill switch

Problems: as there was little money I only used motor power (no pedaling), there wasn't enough power and since it was a test it was never meant to stay together forever.

Lasted: 10 days & about 20 charges before taking apart.

2) 1969? Kawasaki RT90 conversion
Perm 132 motor ($1000)
16X lithium iron phosphate 3.2V / 40A (slightly used at $1600)
Alltrax controller 24-48V / 300A
Battery balancer (BMS without running power through 40A limiter)
12A charger (5 hour charge time off 110V outlet)
Parts from project #1
about 1 year of researching and 1 year of building slowly during school

Problems: the battery pack was funded by my Dad. My Dad was anxious to buy batteries to start the project (he didn't understand the ordering of assembly: motor install then batteries). We bought used cells from an electric trials rider (claimed only discharged a couple of times). These batteries have a max continuous discharge of 120A or 3C, and the guy had discharged them at 300A (7.5C). I told my Dad that the cells where wasted, but he did not listen.
A full charge from a cell voltage of 2.7V to about 3.4V with a balancer only took 1 hour and a couple of minutes. I charged and discharged the batteries checking the cell voltages periodically; which means that the pack was not out of balance. I looked up charging algorithms for the charger (emailed company) and found out initially the charger charges at between 11 and 12 amperes.
This means that the battery pack which was supposed to be about 2.05 kW was only about 0.614 kW.
Due to the battery pack limits the peak current was limited to 120A… 6.1kW

Range was only 12 miles riding half on and half off-road.
I ran out of enthusiasm and money for the project and I stripped the electronics off to save for a future project.

Lasted: 2 weeks and about 30 charges

New Project (will be worked on over the next year and documented on this thread):
I am now ready for a no bars hold build:
Mix between MTB and motorcycle parts
try to keep it under 50 kg
7.5 kW < Continuos Power < 15 kW
15 kW < Peak Power < 25kW
I want a peak power over 20 hp.
Brushless (probably going to add delta to wey switching capabilities later)
Geometry similar to a size large DH bike (Add adjustable chain stay length rear mounts).
I want to run hall sensors to allow for smoother low end operation.
Burtie makes a variable timer and optical sensor board that I am vary set on buying.

I have about $1000 currently for the first parts buy.

I would like to get recommendations on a controller that can power one of these motors past the 100,000 erpm limitations of the kelly controller.

To start the project I am going to need a motor:
Could someone help me with a colossus out-runner or something that is a in-runner in a similar power range (a in-runner is preferred due to it being easier to seal).

Design:
4" X 6" 6061 tubing 1/4" wall machined to make the head tube, shock mount and pivot locations perfect.
It acts as its own frame jig.
The motors (may be C80100-B motors or something similar) and controller will be mounted in the tubing and a fan near the head tube will keep them cool.

Pivot will have a tube with bearings that will keep chain tension constant due to zero chain growth.

Pictures:
Screen Shot 2012-08-18 at 10.41.54 PM.png
View attachment 1
Screen Shot 2012-08-18 at 10.43.06 PM.png

PDF:
View attachment bike project front.pdf
View attachment bike project left back.pdf
View attachment bike project right bottom.pdf

I am also a competitive downhill mountain biker.
Here is a video project for a video competition.
The prompt is: what inspires you to ride...

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/263079/
I get tired and stressed from school and riding is an escape; hence the start (basically no riding in the first 45 seconds).

Bjorntsc said:
7.5 kW < Continuos Power < 15 kW
15 kW < Peak Power < 25kW

Sounds like you are looking for a car hub motor.

I posted in the non-hub section...
Looking for a water cooled colossus or recumpence.
Something very powerful, but also compact and light.
Form factor on the perm 132 or mars is to large and heavy.

Bjorntsc said:

I think you will need a large wallet or make it yourself. As far as I know the two options you mentioned is either impossible to obtain or hard to drive for the controller.
I hope someone will make a good controller for the colossus, because I got high hopes for it. Not too expensive and if the power a rc motor produce is proportional with size it will be a beast.

Nice movie btw, you have some great skills. Good luck with your build :)

you could always try to run 2 rc motors like Ranking (and me but im running mine with hall sensors and standard e-bike controllers) and try to incorporate some water cooling ( it should be possible ) , with the 80-100 rc type of motors I don't think it would be to difficult to water cool that type of constucted rc motor.

What controllers are you running?
Does it have current limiting?
How much does it cost?

What is the max continuos current that you got out of your motor in your project?
What voltage are you running at?

How have the motor held up?
Are they good quality besides the bearings?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is a feasible solution.
By the way I do like your project; when are you going to post a video?

U could use a matt-drive with single 3220, lipo , on a nice dh rig. they run at couple hundred amps or more . Check out ratking build , and rodgah. low voltage like max 50v.....

another option would be mid drive with one of john from cr's mini motors, high voltage.....or farfle middrive project on the motor forum

What do you use in your video to make the colors so rich????

Bjorntsc said:
What controllers are you running?
Does it have current limiting?
How much does it cost?

What is the max continuos current that you got out of your motor in your project?
What voltage are you running at?

How have the motor held up?
Are they good quality besides the bearings?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is a feasible solution.
By the way I do like your project; when are you going to post a video?

I am running 2x 12fet moddified e-bike controllers, yes they have current limiting and I can run each upto 100A. the 2 controllers works out around £120'ish, I run at 50V , I am using the smaller RC motors ( 6374's around £50 each ) but so far they are holding up well ( no additional active cooling ) but do start to get a bit toasty if continually pushing 60/70 A through each one of them but they are more than capable of bursts of 100A each, if your asking me about posting a video then as soon as I get the chance to get out and get some better footage that is worthy of a video then it will be posted, the little vid on youtube at the moment was just a quick vid of the son-in-law having a quick go on the bike.

Thank-you guys for the help!
I like the Idea of using two C80100 130Kv motors.

They say they are good to 18 cells lipo...

I would like to be able to run them up to 24 cells (88.8V) later.

If they are good for 6.5kW at 66.6V then they can take 100A for periods with airflow.

100 A and 88.8V would give a rating of 17.8 kW
Could also get a third motor for a whopping 26.6 kW :twisted:

Is there a good e-bike controller that can run one of these motors up to 120A continuous at 90V?
(besides a $$$ kelly or $$$ sevco)

I just posted my rough outline for frame dimensions on the end of the first post.

This design is very compatible with different motors controllers and batteries.
This EV back-bone that I want to make is about 12-15 pounds without the battery or seat mounts.
Rolling frame with seat, cranks, battery mount, wheels... would be about 44-49 pounds.
battery (1-2 kW): 17-35 pounds
2X motor + 2X controller = 16 pounds
misc parts & electronics: 5 pounds

Total: 82 - 105 pounds
about 12-30 mile range (hard riding)
Cost (excluding MTB parts): $2000 - $3000

I am buying metal in the next day or two (4X6 1/4" wall 6061 tubing...
Any recommendations or maybe a controller recommendation...

I suggest that you should look into the baddest hub motors out there and use it in a mid drive with a lot of volts. Jhon in CR has interesting fat scooter motors for sale.

Bjorntsc said:

yes, i agree.

that is unreal riding and footage Bjorntsc, maby you are after something more like this: http://s1059.photobucket.com/albums/t429/toolman222/?action=view&current=01b7babb.mp4

the motor is 2.2kg..

That is what I want to build, but I want to keep everything enclosed and fan cooled (no maintenance issues due to water or dirt).
It should have a removable pack, and I want the pack to be in the lowest and furthest position back to get 50% weight distribution.

What motor is he running?

Take a look at the photos posted in the first posting that I roughed out in AutoCad (only 3D cad software besides sketch-up that can be run on my mac without buying a copy of windows :( ).

I am starting my first semester at UC Berkeley as a junior transfer in two days... I should be able to get solid works, ProE, and Inventor :D ... Just need to pitch out $70 for a copy of Windows 7.

I got to see one one of the 7 student machine shops!!!

:shock:

Signing up for the safety class (3hours); that allows students school related work :wink:

Attachments

• Macine shop!.jpg
    Macine shop!.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 2,877
Bjorntsc said:
That is what I want to build, but I want to keep everything enclosed and fan cooled (no maintenance issues due to water or dirt).
It should have a removable pack, and I want the pack to be in the lowest and furthest position back to get 50% weight distribution.

What motor is he running?

Take a look at the photos posted in the first posting that I roughed out in AutoCad (only 3D cad software besides sketch-up that can be run on my mac without buying a copy of windows :( ).

yep, the machine in the vid; http://s1059.photobucket.com/albums/t42 ... b7babb.mp4 has a gearbox and motor casing that are sealed separate from each other, the gears are in oil, and the motor housing is fed cool air by a remote 10w blower fan (you may be able to see the 30mm flex tubing for air feed).

and yep the actual pack is soon to go in real low in front of the bb, (but furthest back for 50/50 weight distribution? -i would need furthest forward for this.)
-not wildly different to your autocad/pdf layout

the motor is a turnigy ca120, its pretty similar to a collosus but around half the power and weight, and about double the power and weight of the popular 80-100 motors, evidently a handy motor size to easily overpower a 40ish kg bike, but with a surprisingly low number of watts in needed. :wink:

toolman2 said:
the motor is a turnigy ca120, its pretty similar to a collosus but around half the power and weight, and about double the power and weight of the popular 80-100 motors, evidently a handy motor size to easily overpower a 40ish kg bike, but with a surprisingly low number of watts in needed. :wink:

Dont think its double the power and weight of the 80-100 motors but its defo a power hungry motor at around 28A no load at 48v and more than 3 times the cost of a 80-100 !! this motor will be way over kill to power only a 40kg bike upto 40-50mph

gwhy! said:
toolman2 said:

Dont think its double the power and weight of the 80-100 motors but its defo a power hungry motor at around 28A no load at 48v and more than 3 times the cost of a 80-100 !! this motor will be way over kill to power only a 40kg bike upto 40-50mph

the ca 120 has over double the amount of copper than the 80-100's, and double the amount of poles and can produce over 3 times the continuous torque, and over 4 times when they are both tested cooled.

but no, they are not quite double the weight, cos they are hollowed out inside with alloy cooling holes. :D

mine use more like 5A unloaded, and i got them rewound and cheap from this dude (dale kramer)who flew himself off the water with floats in a real (lazair) plane.

-and ill try fix the vid, thanks miles.

http://s1059.photobucket.com/profile/toolman222 is good??

Back