electric trial bike

Nice vid! I bet trials will be one of the firts motorsport where electrics will dominate, mainly because it makes so much more sense to have full torque at 0rpm 8)

trialelectrico.jpg

I really enjoyed this video!
Gwhy, is that one of your senrored 63-74 with a 12 fet in there? :wink: I can't see the motor, it must be really small if it's not a 63!

No, its a custom brushed dc motor ( I helped a little with the development ) mounted into the swing arm. The power delivery is spot on.

Gwhy! you helped develop it? That is a sweet little bike! I have been wanting the 12.5 and the 16 for a while now, for my kids. I rode a 36 v 16 inch, it was pretty dang sweet. My kids rode it turned way down, but were really timid at the time. I want one of each now!

I have a couple of Razor toy electric motorcycles, they are really heavy with very poor suspension. I of course have them running on lipo. 8s on the mx350, with a 24v 65 amp controller, its pretty good, especially for how small it is. I just have a 12 s lipo in my mx 500, the stock controller is very weak! Melted one motor already, just bought another used bike for $50. They will both haul me, and a kid, they go real good with just the kid.

Are the electrics on the Oset 16 and 12.5 are the same as the currie scooters? The 20.0 probably has a 48 v 100 amp kelly controller and just a 1200 watt brushed motor. (nothing special, but simple and works well). Will the little 63/74 outperform it? How is the throttle control with the rc motor?

wildharemtbkr said:
Gwhy! you helped develop it? That is a sweet little bike! I have been wanting the 12.5 and the 16 for a while now, for my kids. I rode a 36 v 16 inch, it was pretty dang sweet. My kids rode it turned way down, but were really timid at the time. I want one of each now!

I have a couple of Razor toy electric motorcycles, they are really heavy with very poor suspension. I of course have them running on lipo. 8s on the mx350, with a 24v 65 amp controller, its pretty good, especially for how small it is. I just have a 12 s lipo in my mx 500, the stock controller is very weak! Melted one motor already, just bought another used bike for $50. They will both haul me, and a kid, they go real good with just the kid.

Are the electrics on the Oset 16 and 12.5 are the same as the currie scooters? The 20.0 probably has a 48 v 100 amp kelly controller and just a 1200 watt brushed motor. (nothing special, but simple and works well). Will the little 63/74 outperform it? How is the throttle control with the rc motor?

I Only had a very small input on the development of the motor/speed controller. The smaller osets are a very good platform for kids to get into motorcycles without being put off by the noise and weight of small ICE bikes. The Oset bikes themselfs are really thought out well .

The motors In the smaller osets are a off the self dc motor, but I have no idea if they are the same that is used on the currie scooters, Same with the controllers for the smaller osets. The Motor on the new 20" is a totally new motor designed by oset for oset ( at the moment ) . The controller is also totally new and made for oset ( it has a couple of very nice features that riders/parents will love playing around with ). Will the small 63/74 outperform the osets new motor the only thing I can say is the new osets motor is rated at 1.2kW ( as standard ) and the small 63/74's are loosely rated at around 3kW ( as standard ) :mrgreen: but as with any system there are trade offs . Throttle control is down to the controller and how the gearing is setup. I have spent quite a bit of time playing around with this as I could never get it quite right ( but I think I have it nailed now ).

Wow just found this thread. How did I miss it a few months ago when I started my build. Anyway I couldn't resist posting video of my daughter riding her new electric trials bike with a hub motor. I prowled this forum for hours figuring out how to build the thing and still I missed this thread somehow!
[youtube]hXDMabBV5JI[/youtube]
Gwhy, thanks for the encouragement early on!

And of course trials is about balance. The hub motor gives you a really low center fo gravity which is great for balance.
[youtube]uRj5o2mNdmM[/youtube]

Just found this vid about the electric motion 5.7
I would love to know what this guy is saying about it but its in french, anybody care to go through it and give us any key points about the bike ?, I would really like to know what the right hand switch is used for :?
original video http://vimeo.com/49947583

[youtube]OSaLH65j9i4[/youtube]

it looks like it have the same e-clutch setup as I have on my bike :mrgreen:
e-clutch1.jpg

My French is pretty rough but I took a stab at it. I had three years of French in school many years ago and used it once for a couple of days talking to the FIM guys last time the US had a world round. I only caught a few bits and they might be completely wrong, but for what it's worth...

The switch on the right does "competition mode" so I am guessing it is something like one setting for trail and one for competition.

I think he said something about 5kW and then 12-13 kW. Maybe continuous power and peak power?
Change batteries in 2 minutes
Battery weighs 7 kilos
Production starts in October

I went back through the part about the clutch a few times but couldn't pick any useful words except that he was talking about the "left side controls" which is pretty obvious anyway. I do agree that it looks like an e-clutch like you designed.

He was talking about the battery and said it was "very" this and "very that. I think he was saying very light and very powerful but I can't be sure. I am guessing it must be some lithium variant as I didn't see him wearing a weight belt when he lifted it.

No much help, but I tried!

Just came across what might be the first backflip on an electric bike.
[youtube]L79iQDKsoVo[/youtube]

The web site had a couple of specs on the EM 5.7

http://www.twowheelsblog.com/tag/electric+motion+em+5.7

I love this bike. Its a very good concept and got me wanting one for ages, I very nearly bought one last year but decided it was a bit expensive for a 125 as I would have only been using it as a toy and would have probably ended up getting arrested and having the bike confiscated :mrgreen:

looks like it has just been released and about to go on sell..
http://www.trial-club.com/webzine-trial/actualites/2012/em-2012/

EM_2012_01.jpg

The direferent modes do change the max power and acceleration ramps to set up the bike for different environements and rider skill. That's what they said in the previous video. the modes can also help the rider to adapt to the terrain (wet/dry)

gwhy you were right about the clutch on the EM.
From the above link and a Google translation:
"Finition remarquable, gros gain de poids, système de « boost » qui permet d'envoyer un maximum d'énergie sur un court moment par le moyen d'un levier type « embrayage » pour justement palier au manque d'embrayage. Remarkable finish, large weight gain system "boost" that can send a maximum of energy in a short time by means of a lever type "clutch" to precisely compensate for the lack of clutch."

The wording they chose sounds kind of like marketing boys trying to keep the traditional gas guys from worrying about a clutch, but it must be pretty similar to what you are working on.

Back