Electrical battery Charger Durability.

OzTrekker

10 mW
I am on my third bike build.

I am preparing for a massive Australian outback ride.

The problem is this and its a big one.

Battery Recharger - I did a test run and the bike performed flawlessly. However the recharger failed due to rough road vibration.

This is problematic because if the charger goes down on a trek, i am stranded in the middle of the outback.

Any advise on how to get around this achilles heel?

I have a dead charger that we can use as a project to rebuild into something reliable.

Or please give me some suggestions as too battery rechargers on the market that are tough like "Chuck Norriss" and can stand up to being knocked arpund off road.

Looking for a charger 59.5v - 5 amp

The Satiator at http://ebikes.ca is intended to be mounted on a vehicle, so it should handle normal vibrations and such. I sometimes carry mine on my trike or bike for longer trips, just in case, and have had no problems with it yet (though it's not actually mounted on the vehicle, it isn't always in one of the padded cargo pods).

Buuut...if a single point of failure will strand you, then you need to carry a backup, regardless. ;)

And not just of the charger, but of anything else that would strand you if it broke out there, that you can't fix yourself with what you have with you.

I assume you're taking a gasoline-powered generator (on a trailer?), or similar, to be recharging in the middle of nowhere? Or a bunch of solar panels with an MPPT and inverter?

Or are you carrying enough battery to be guaranteed to reach the next power outlet, regardless of weather conditions/terrain/etc. out there?

Regarding the "cheap" chargers, as long as you can use some sort of thermally-conductive epoxy, and have sufficient heatsinking on all the components that generate too much heat, you could solidly pot the charger so no components can move from vibration, and thus break off.

Or you can use one or more of the Meanwell LED PSUs, discussed in various threads on the forum, as chargers--At least some are already potted.

Thanks for the post Amberwolf.

Regarding petrol generators. I have a honda that takes unleaded fuel.

I was out in a desert area very isolated and the honda would not start. This was due to the fact that i left some old unleaded fuel in it.

I should have tested the generator prior to leaving. So I am very weary of honda generators and definitely recommend getting one serviced before heading anywhere remote.

I see them more for base camping rather than outback touring exploration.

I am very interested in more of a solar solution as an emergency backup or top up.

I can produce 40w at about 70volts - i know its piss weak but its an emergency solution. I normally just wire them for 12volt and usb output.

If you have an idea about a mppt or bppt regulator that is tough like chuck norriss and as dependable as mcgyver then please let me know. Obviously i am chasing a steady 59.5v.

Ideally a bppt would be better as a panel could get smashed on road or by the wind, then i can run minus a panel or 2 so could still charge 24v up too 59.5v which would be safer.

I am a learner when it comes to solar regulators, so any advice is most welcome.

I didnt realise unleaded fuel had a use by date. I learned that one the hard way 250km up a dirt road then the generator did not work.

RE the gas. any kind of engine gas has a shelf life, leaded gas used to gum up carbs that sit too long too. Premium no better too btw.

You can put gas stabilizer in any gas powered tool that will sit unused for months.

A satiator is the charger you need, but I'd still carry a small back up. Carry that in a way that minimizes vibration,, possibly on your back in a knapsack if the bike does not have plush suspension. You can also open it,, look for things vulnerable to vibration, and stick those down with a non conductive glue, so a component does not bend over and short from the pounding.

Snap two HLG-240H-30A in series.
Adjust voltage from both to 29.5 volt and enjoy an easy and affordable 'fully-encapsulated'/bulk charge/IP65/5G-vibration/fanless high eff.' solution.

Like others have suggested, a Satiator. I don't recall hearing of any failures. They cost a bit more than a regular charger, but it does things a regular charger can't do. It is a very well thought out product, well built, waterproof, had passed just about every possible certification and was designed to be knocked around.

Back