EM3ev, setting the record straight on a few things

tahustvedt said:
cell_man said:
tahustvedt said:
cell_man said:
I am sure it is basically a 36V 500W BBS02 underneath (with maybe a different motor winding). if 8Fun adjusted the speed and programming at the customers request, then it is perfectly correct for the kit to state what it does, it is not lying. I think we could get something similar if we requested it.

I think so too. Aren't all BBS02 the same motor and windings? The 48 V motors run at an RPM that corresponds to the voltage increase over 36 V.

Bafang adjust the speed of the motor according to the supply voltage and rated power output, they are not all the same, but all BBS02 use the same stator and rotor (so far as i know). My guess is that they might have made the 250W BBS02, 25A Kit with a slower wound motor and adjusted the controller settings, or maybe they didn't bother to change the speed of the motor, and only changed the software settings. Frankly I'm really not too sure, just speculating. The odd customer has complained the 250W BBS01 is too slow (pedal cadence, not the speed on the road), but nobody ever says that about the higher power versions.

All 25A BBS02 controllers share most of the same main parts, no matter if 36 or 48V, but are some some small component changes to differentiate the 36/48V. i do not believe the differences between 36 and 48V controllers is only software or firmware.

I seriously doubt they use different windings for the different BBS02 stators. It would increase cost a lot for Bafang. The 36 V motor already spins slower than the 48 V motor, probably because of the lower voltage. Unless Bafang confirms that they actually use different windings on the different BBS02 motors then it's pretty safe to assume they use the same windings for all BBS02 motors. They probably have ready would stators with the same number of windings.
In that case a 36V500W would be ideal. I don't need the extra watts of the 750W version and the lower cadence makes it easier to drive. The preferred cadence of the 48V is just too high.
I did go for the 48V originally because the triangle packs by Paul only come in 48V.

FWIW A 52x11T BBS01 will run 27MPH. BUT it runs at 600-700W. Rather warm. 46x11T will comfortably run a 350-400W @ 22MPH. (350W)

I know for a 100% fact that the various BBS02 versions use different motor windings for the different voltages and power levels. Bafang most definitely DO NOT use the same windings on all of the versions they offer. Why would they? The motor needs to be matched to the supply voltage, also have a speed which is within the range that someone could pedal (which will also suit the bikes gearing) and also provide the rated output power, that is claimed for the motor. The motor speed is adjusted by changing the number of turns, to suit the application, this is normal practice for any ebike motor, no matter it is a hub motor or middle motor.

I was told the precise number of turns for the different BBS01/02 options before, but i do not recall now the figures. All BBS02 will use the same stator, they simply change the number of turns applied, to match the supply voltage and the rated output power.

All things else being equal, a faster motor will generally make more power. The speed of the motor can be increased by either reducing the number of turns or increasing the supply voltage. Basically the same motor and controller (with configuration and detail changes) that is used in the BBS02 36V 500W, can be rated 750W at 48V.

Ok, now I'm really confused after reading this thread. I have already decided I want a BBS HD for my ebike build, and after seeing this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBe_OLUBuCY I got the impression that the E-Rad kits is far superior to other Bafang kits, meaning critical parts inside are upgraded like axel, bearings, controller, seals etc. The price is a lot higher than from other sellers, but I'm happy to pay extra for a kit that have a significantly higher reliability and functionality. What I'm not willing to, is paying for sales pitch.

e-Rad BBSHD: $ 1250
Luna Cycle BBSHD: $ 699,95
Em3Ev BBSHD: $ 599

It's about $550 to $650 more for the e-Rad compared to the other sellers. That's a lot! For that much more money I will expect a quality/reliability/functionality factor that is not even close to what the other sellers can offer. One can almost buy two BBSHD from Em3Ev for the price of one e-Rad. So, the question is, is it worth it? From a bottom line technical perspective?

[moderator edit to fix link]

FlyByFun said:
So, the question is, is it worth it? From a bottom line technical perspective?
NO
As you said you can buy two. The worst that happens with these kits is either you blow the controller or you strip the gears, which are easy to replace.
Personally I don't believe E-rad claim, and i have been around a while.
I would go with reputable ES vendors either Luna Cycle OR Em3Ev.

Yes, I think I'm heading for that conclusion my self.

Racer_X said:
FlyByFun said:
So, the question is, is it worth it? From a bottom line technical perspective?
NO
As you said you can buy two. The worst that happens with these kits is either you blow the controller or you strip the gears, which are easy to replace.
Personally I don't believe E-rad claim, and i have been around a while.
I would go with reputable ES vendors either Luna Cycle OR Em3Ev.

I have a C965 display and in the advanced (hidden) menu I find the following settings :

CUL 15 (ranging from 10 - 30)
HAL 1 (ranging from 1 - 15)
AS5 12 (ranging from 0 - 12)
Hd6 0 (ranging from 0 or 1)
HdP 0 (ranging from 0 or 1)

Does anyone know what they are for ??????

Is em3ev a scam ? I don't want to slander a good company but I sent my payment nearly two weeks ago, got an email from a Joseph who said I needed to send my date of birth to complete the order . I questioned the reason for this and now for the last week no one returns any kind of correspondence fro the company . I have sent emails every day , tried to phone them and also used Facebook. So I turned to public questions in the hope to get some kind of reply .
It does feel like my money has been stolen.

are you sure you sent the payment to the real em3ev account and that the web address is legit?
genuine em3ev would never do any of the stuff you claim id say.

They've been in business since 2011ish and are one of the biggest vendors we buy things from here.
I have never heard of them asking for a date of birth for an order.. unless you are ordering a 300kg pallet of motors over wire or something..

Best wishes resolving your matter.

try contacting cellman(Paul) at em3ev and tell him whats going on! it sounds off.
id try to cancel the transfer if not too late also.

What you are describing sounds weird to me. I bought a BBSHD kit at the end of April from EM3EV, had it in about 3 weeks. The shipping notifications are a little funky but every time I asked a question they responded the next day. I was never asked for my birthdate.

Did you order directly through their website? Or did you follow a link? Something is off. I can confirm that “Joseph” is the name of someone that works there, I got a few responses from him. Doesn’t mean a scammer isn’t using his name though. Hope you get it figured out.

Yeah, I ordered it directly from there website, I finally got a reply after 9 days of being ignored saying they would refund my payment .
Which I feel only happened after I posted here as I have been trying to contact them this whole time .
So hoping that I get the refund and that no charges are placed on it .
I choose these guys from the reviews that I saw on this and other sites but this has been one of the most stressful and worrying internet purchases I have ever made . I feel either you need to be lucky with your experience from them they have changed how much they invest in the customer service side .
Ignoring a customer for over a week when you have taken their money is pretty bad service in my opinion.
I don't like to say anything bad about companies in general as I know mistakes can happen but I do think this whole situation was done with bad intentions .

right.
WTF is up w/the date of birth thing??? i have never been asked that by a buisness selling stuff, its almost rude.

We usually see a complaint or two about this right around spring time with em3ev every year when they get overloaded with orders.

em3ev is a very good company except for the spring-summer communication wart. I have no doubts you'll get your money back or things will get resolved.

I hope so, I don't like to rush to judgement on them , but it has been a very unsatisfying experience with them so far.

I bought a battery from EM3EV about a month ago. I paid for it with Paypal. They didn't ask for a DoB. It took 2 1/2 weeks to get the battery to California. During that time I received several emails with the status of my order. I even got an email after I received it asking me to confirm it arrived okay.

Bank transfers can be a PIA!! I've had to provide my BD to the service I use to transfer money. FFS people, this is one of the most reliable builders out there. Neptonix nailed it! We wait until late spring to make orders during the seasons biggest rush. Shit happens.

I bought a battery from them last month as well and my experience was completely different. Any questions I asked were answered within 24 hours. The battery came in about 3 weeks total.....really pleased with it.

neptronix said:
We usually see a complaint or two about this right around spring time with em3ev every year when they get overloaded with orders.

em3ev is a very good company except for the spring-summer communication wart. I have no doubts you'll get your money back or things will get resolved.

For the record, I am doing an em3ev battery order soon. It did take a bit longer than usual to hear back from them but they are clearly swamped with orders. It appears to be peak ebike part ordering season. I've also heard that a few other places have hit record sales for the month of May.

Back