• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

eMundo with Bikes-at-Work trailer and 200+ lbs of cargo

See, now that's more like it. :) If I could get myself to finish the trailer hitch for CrazyBike2, I could haul the trailer full of stuff with that, plus all the cargo CB2 can carry....

I am only saddened by the "e-waste" that probably contains LOTS of things I could use in it. ;)

amberwolf said:
I am only saddened by the "e-waste" that probably contains LOTS of things I could use in it. ;)

I hope not. People first donated their e-waste our hardware co-op, and we picked over it to extract what we thought could be re-used. What we are passing on here is either tested to be not-working or incredibly obsolete.

On the other hand, there are some things, like inkjet printers. We get loads of donations of working printers, so we are more liberal about we declare as "dead". If we kept everything that could possibly be fixed, our storage space would fill-up, no more donations of any sort could be accepted to be picked over, and the operation would grind to a halt.

If you are interested in the idea of this kind of re-use operation, Free Geek has a page on getting started. We got started before we realized that Free Geek existed. Our start was a simple: A spare room at a church, a few volunteers, and a lot of the seat-of-the-pants navigation.

Mark Stosberg said:
What we are passing on here is either tested to be not-working or incredibly obsolete.
Ah, but like most people, you probably aren't quite of the same repurposing mentality that I am. ;) Even broken things can be reused for other purposes; I have taken dead harddisks apart (even old 5.25" full-height units!) and found many things inside I could reuse in various projects. On the oldest ones, there are even discrete thru-hole components that I can use, sometimes including motor-control circuits or amplifiers, hall sensors, transistors, resistors, etc.

My 2QD brushed motor controller was built (except for the PCB) entirely of components salvaged from various computer, printer, UPS, copier, and monitor electronics boards. ;)

Plastic casings can even be reused, or parts of them. The little windscreen/readout-sunshade on CrazyBike2 used to be an Epson inkjet's paper tray extender. :) DayGLo Avenger has a lot of stuff reused on it, too, from ancient rackmount equipment.

Can't even remember all the sci-fi props and models I've built out of such things, and either sold or given away, though I think the ~12-foot one made of old toner cartridges probably is the biggest, with a much smaller Borg cube being the next biggest (though the next heaviest is a big ugly-gun).
Gaussgun_080506_0002.JPG

Gaussgun_080506_0004.JPG

Even old phones can be useful, as "drop ships":
BellOrbital2.JPG

Toner cartridges also make good hand props:
TonerDetector1.JPG

On the other hand, there are some things, like inkjet printers. We get loads of donations of working printers, so we are more liberal about we declare as "dead". If we kept everything that could possibly be fixed, our storage space would fill-up, no more donations of any sort could be accepted to be picked over, and the operation would grind to a halt.
That's true. :) I have this problem at my house, and I do periodically have to recycle or toss out some of the bulkier bits like plastic casings and whatnot, and steel internal frameworks, PCBs I've taken all or most of the parts off of, etc.

If you are interested in the idea of this kind of re-use operation, Free Geek has a page on getting started. We got started before we realized that Free Geek existed. Our start was a simple: A spare room at a church, a few volunteers, and a lot of the seat-of-the-pants navigation.
If I had the time I would definitely start one of my own, but I will at least see if there is already one here. :)

Thanks for the follow-up, amberwolf. Your approach sounds similar to my friend, Kurt, who builds bike from recycled parts. I have a few photos of some his creations here.

One of his most recent creations is an electric push trailer, built for $75.

Back