enclosure with acrylic?

kimboviper

10 W
has anyone tried making an enclosure with acrylic and acrylic cement?

will this take the vibration of an eboard and survive?

there are arcrylic hinges but i cant seem to find a way to latch the enclosure?

anyone know of a latch that can attach to an enclosure to to gain access to the esc or batteries??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT6Ow_cBTps

torqueboards said:
Acrylic or Plexiglass is too brittle and it will snap/crack/break. Maybe, if you use Lexan or similar.

This. Acrylic will form it just fine, but you will have it shatter on any impact.

Other options is HIPS, ABS, or a nylon reinforced polymer. Ideally you want it to be a thermoplastic - heating and bending will be much stronger than gluing it. Also give you nice pencil edge corners.

As for the latch, have you considered magnets? spring load it and use magnets on the inside to latch it and it would be a very clean looking external surface, and open "magically".

is ABS from 3dprinters strong enough to take hits from lite speed bumps? this enclosure needs to hold 3.4lbs of battery....

kimboviper said:
is ABS from 3dprinters strong enough to take hits from lite speed bumps? this enclosure needs to hold 3.4lbs of battery....

Well if ABS wasn't used for automotive parts then another stronger material would be invented. If designed correctly with the right thickness, ABS should takes hits like a beast. If that is not enough, slap on two layers of fiberglass to the exterior and vacuum bag the whole thing for a clean look and stronger shell. The ABS should be okay just as it. It's just a pain for me to print with abs since it warps on the bed during printing even though I use an aluminum sheet coated with tacky glue for very good adhesion.

kimboviper said:

has to be printed well.. and then it will be about the design keeping in mind it will be printed

Back