Enhanced board (work in progress)

sl33py said:
Looking great Vulthor!

Can't wait to see your first ride! Looks like a sweet setup and you are going to love it!

Thanks Sl33py, wish I can make a quick video, but not sure because just got my phone and big noob in skate, so could be dangerous :D.

Anyway probably okp will make video of e-skaters group one day or another, we are 4 or 5 in Paris actually ending builds, this is great and I enjoy futures rides with our French community.

HA! stay safe and don't worry about it. Let the experts record the video until you are comfortable enough to multi-task and do it yourself. Or talk a friend into shooting some "drive-by" shots. just enjoy your board in the meantime! Congrats buddy.

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/46/1447151944-wp-20151110-11-37-00-pro.jpg
Hi everyone!

My board is finished, just have my first real ride today after some settings.

I ride 7,5km in 50min, average speed 8,5km/h top speed at 18km/h, obviously can go faster but as a noob in longboarding this is already good.

Got a fall just at the end of the trip, nothing bad, just a bit of skin from hands and little shock on leg.

Got to replace the bushings, those sell with caliber are not stable at all, probably this is why I felt.

I'm going to make another enclosure because this one is not convenient, got to unplug motor and power switch to be able to pull it off. And want to let the wires go underneath the next enclosure.

I'm quite hesitate for the way to go to have the motor wires way to the trucks, I can dremel the mount like okp, or go for longer belt wich allows me to have the motor plate further away and allow the good positioning of the motor.

Anyway I'm really happy and just have minor improvements to achieve totally, buy it works :D.

Congrats Vulthor! Looks great man, well done.

I would dremel the mounts like OKP to route the wires better vs. running a longer belt. IMO.

Bushings are critical to a nice ride, but in the meantime i'd tighten up the bushings/trucks to give you a bit more stability. I'm a heavy guy and like a nice "rebound" on looser trucks vs. heavily dampened (tightened down) trucks.
20151011_004447.jpg

It's good to have options! I like the SHR/UHR (high rebound formulas - Blood Orange, Venom, Riptide) eliminators especially for the bottom bushing, and then barrels or cones a little softer (same SHR/UHR). Then i can run the trucks a bit looser for turning, but they come back to center nicely.

HTH - GL!

Edit - GLOVES! or even better wristguards - seriously get them and wear them until you are really really comfortable at the fastest speed your board will do. Breaking a wrist SUCKS (i know (motorcycle)).

Thanks Sleepy for your advices, yeah I will probably take a Venom Pack , got wristguards already and was dumb to not wear it for my ride even at low speed.

I'm questionning myself about getting a full body protection (motorcycle) because this fall at 16km/h take me 3 days to recover enough to walk, due to my weak health and body, i'm probably injured most than anybody else.

But it give my girlfriend good reason to joke me :mrgreen:

Yeah my GF gives me a hard time whenever i do fall. She still talks about my shoulder roll when i was riding into a culdesac on my old longboard w/ new bearings years ago. With my broken wrist... i just tucked my arm after i figured i couldn't run it out and did a should roll into someone's front yard. good times. ;)

Here's a good intro on bushing durometers by use and weight. A good place to start if you don't know which duro to start with i'd go by weight and probably the middle (you can tighten it down to stiffen it further). Getting the hardest duro - you can't loosen it enought to make it more flexy if you want without swapping bushings. But by getting a "medium" range duro, you can tighten down to start, to make it more stable, then ease up the bolt/tightness as you get more comfortable and it will be more easy to carve/turn.

my .02.

Here's the quick info and link to the article on muirskate:
Bushing_Duro_Guides.JPG

https://www.muirskate.com/longboard-guide/bushings/intro/

I know it's hard to put on all the protective gear. Besides helmet which is almost always needed, gloves or wristguards would be my suggestion. Good jeans or heavier pants are always good, and if you ride a ton, perhaps a good jacket like joe rocket motorcycle jackets might be a reasonable compromise for safety. I have one of their mesh jackets for the hottest months when it's either that or not wearing a jacket. My leather is just too hot when it's 90+ out and stuck in traffic.

HTH! Bonne Chance!

Yeah I watch this guide on Muirskate too and thinking go on bushings venom barrel mixing HPF/SHR in 85A/86A duro.

Is the pivot cup replacement usefull?

Back