Eternal outskirts of Moscow and beyond (LOTS of pics!)

markz said:
https://calgary.weatherstats.ca/charts/snow-monthly.html

According to the graph, you have much, much heavier snowfalls, than in central Russia. We usually get first snow that formed a cover around second half of november, snow cover melts over in second half of april. Some years we got whole december without snow cover, but autumn rains instead. Precipitations in snow form more than 450mm at once considered "apocalyptic". So much for "snow covered Russia", huh? :)

Trip up Yauza river in december.
IMG_4646.jpg

IMG_4647.jpg

П-46 (P-46) panel building:
IMG_4649.jpg

Yauza almost never get frozen. These ducks stays over winter:
IMG_4650.jpg

IMG_4652.jpg

Small creek in a drain system:
IMG_4655.jpg

IMG_4656.jpg

IMG_4658.jpg

Local folks show some mad skills in fence building:
IMG_4659.jpg

IMG_4663.jpg

IMG_4664.jpg

Medvedkovo industrial railway station:
IMG_4666.jpg

IMG_4667.jpg

IMG_4668.jpg

IMG_4673.jpg

IMG_4677.jpg

IMG_4676.jpg

Chermyanka river in its deep bed:
IMG_4679.jpg

IMG_4682.jpg

Great vast grey nothingness, that's how winter in Moscow looks most of the time:
IMG_4690.jpg

Giant hogweed is giant indeed:
IMG_4695.jpg

IMG_4697.jpg

IMG_4698.jpg

IMG_4700.jpg

IMG_4702.jpg

IMG_4687.jpg

ПО-2 (PO-2) block fence, П-44 (P-44) block buidings, grey sky and lonely crow - that makes truest spirit of winter Moscow outskirts:
IMG_4704.jpg

IMG_4705.jpg

IMG_4710.jpg

"Under The Bridge":
IMG_4712.jpg

IMG_4713.jpg

Return of giant central heating pipes:
IMG_4719.jpg

IMG_4724.jpg

IMG_4720.jpg

That's all for this week!

Lots of stereotypes for both countries, Russia and Canada. When I went to Moscow, lots of the women there were gorgeous! Though we were pampered when we went and where we went. So the stereotype that Russian women are old, fat and ugly isnt true. Its that ole cold war era, hard to get rid of that in the west.

Skorohod said:
Russia", huh? :)

I enjoy your pictures. No snow here yet even though I am further north than Calgary. As this picture shows from my walk last night, just mild temperatures. If you look close in the center of that picture is a big beaver, nibbling on willows right at the waters edge. He had no fear of me, I got to within 20-22 feet of him before he slowly moved away.

Resized_20191010_184653_283.jpg

markz said:
Its that ole cold war era, hard to get rid of that in the west.

It's not cold war, IMO. It's just how human brain works. Stereotyping saves lots of processing power :) I'm trying to avoid irritation from stereotypes. Actually, i'd find some stereotypes amusing!

thundercamel said:
Great pictures!

Thank you!

cooking monkey said:
I enjoy your pictures. No snow here yet even though I am further north than Calgary. As this picture shows from my walk last night, just mild temperatures. If you look close in the center of that picture is a big beaver, nibbling on willows right at the waters edge. He had no fear of me, I got to within 20-22 feet of him before he slowly moved away.

Still, you got much colder weather, than in Moscow - today we got +10 Celsius and rain. I'm struggling to push myself out the house and go riding under rain :) Your photo looks exactly like some forest around Moscow in november. If someone told me that photo taken in Meshyora - i'd totally believed! Beavers sometimes can do nasty things - they build their dams near roads and cause serious local floods. But still i like them, they such a charismatic animals.

When i commute to work, my track looks like this:
commute00.png

But sometimes i take a scenic route:
commute01.png

There some photos from my trip from work to home in september 2018.
Yauza river:
IMG_3500.jpg

IMG_3501.jpg

Conk eats wood, moss eats conk. Circle of life, lol:
IMG_3508.jpg

Yauza forest park (part of Elk island national park):
IMG_3512.jpg

IMG_3515.jpg

IMG_3516.jpg

IMG_3518.jpg

Cherkizovo meat processing plant:
IMG_3523.jpg

IMG_3524.jpg

Legendary Колосс (Colossus food processing factory). Soviet potato chips was born here, sweet memories for many soviet children :)
IMG_3525.jpg

Моспромжелезобетон. Ahh, this brainwrecking soviet abbreviations (that one means "Moscow industrial reinforced concrete", btw). This plant produced concrete details for building industrial buildings (yep, this factory literally produced other factories!):
IMG_3527.jpg

IMG_3526.jpg

Now closed Cherkizovo subway-building plant. Lots of stuff for Moscow subway was produced here:
IMG_3528.jpg

Kaloshino industrial railroad station:
IMG_3529.jpg

IMG_3531.jpg

ТЭЦ-23 (Heat Electric Generation Plant No.23) smoke stacks:
IMG_3532.jpg

Concrete tiles and larch trees, that combination gives me Caucasian Riviera vibe:
IMG_3534.jpg

Izmailovo forest park:
IMG_3537.jpg

IMG_3538.jpg

IMG_3543.jpg

IMG_3547.jpg

IMG_3551.jpg

IMG_3557.jpg

Lebedyansky pond:
IMG_3561.jpg

Water hyacinths used for water treatment in settling basin (and my favorite II-68 block-panel buildings on the background):
IMG_3569.jpg

IMG_3568.jpg

Metallurgs street:
IMG_3573.jpg

Lokasynsky pond in Kuskovo park:
IMG_3575.jpg

IMG_3574.jpg

Alley in Kuskovo:
IMG_3576.jpg

Small tunnel under Kazanskaya railroad. Always gave me Miyazaki-esque vibe:
IMG_20180516_195512.jpg

IMG_3583.jpg

IMG_3579.jpg

IMG_3580.jpg

IMG_3578.jpg

It can be modern art installation, i guess:
IMG_3581.jpg

DAND214 said:
Some more great pictures. Looks like it might be fun to visit but would have to come in the summer, too cold for me now.

The best months to visit Moscow IMO is may (second half) or september (also second half). In may you get fresh green grass and leafs, first hot days in year, amazing sunrises and sunsets (day's are not as long as in july, no need to extreme early wakeups). Also, many flowering gardens most beautiful in may. In second half of september autumn starts to blast its colors and it's not so rainy and cold as in october.

Summer in Moscow is OK, but kind of a dull. Also, hot days may be very unpleasant in big city. Winter is not extremely cold, but its dark, colorless, cloudy and somehow depressing. Lots of dirty slush/snow on roads and sidewalks. It's nice only around week or two, when sun is bright, sky is clear and temperatures are freezing (and great Pushkin seems to agree with me) :)

DAND214 said:
So how far is work and what do you do. by the map it looks like a long ride.

I'm team lead/electronics engineer. I run small task force in ecology/waste management IT company. Automotive telematics, fill level sensors, air quality solutions - that sort of stuff. I live in Donskoy district (south of Moscow center), office with electronics technicians are near Botanical garden (north of center), management and software engineers office in Basmanny district (just a bit east of center). Its about 22 kilometers and 40 minutes ride from me to Botanical garden, and about 10 kilometers and 20 minutes ride from me to management office. Average speed limited by traffic lights and crossings (it's always center of Moscow between me and my destinations). Some days i visit both offices, some days i work from home - i have very turbulent work hours.

DAND214 said:
Winter sounds like Chicago was in the winter, as for summer I doubt it's hotter and humid as Florida is.

Yep, you right: oceans and seas are far away from Moscow, so we got either hot summer days or humid summer days, but never both :) Sochi or Vladivostok can be hot and humid, no match to Florida though.

markz said:
Sochi is a ghost town. I hope the buildings were atleast built better then the buildings being built in China which crumble in no time.

Sochi is surprisingly big and old (~ish) town. Many small towns and villages cramped between sea and mountains considered as "Sochi" too. That part of Sochi is typical summer resort - crowded, busy, not a "ghost town" at all. Another part is Rosa-khutor, it is a winter resort for skiing, high in the mountains from sea part. "Ghost town" you talking about - it's olympic village and other sporting infrastructure builded in hurry for 2012 Olympics. Those objects can be found all over Sochi.

Funny thing is, i've been in Sochi only one time, during winter 2011 i've taken part in installing TV equipment for Olympics. It was a mess indeed - lot of "development hell" situations.

2old said:
Great pictures, thanks for exhibition.

Thank you!

ZeroEm said:
What Great pictures, thank you for sharing. That e-bike sees a lot of KM.

Thank you! My monthly average mileage is about 500-100 km (from april to november). From december to march - far less mileage due to slippery conditions :)

First winter ride of 2018, about one or two days after first snow has cover the ground.

Korshunikha river and her deep bed ("Korshunikha" name derives from "korshun", which means kite bird):
IMG_4440.jpg

IMG_4442.jpg

IMG_4444.jpg

IMG_4450.jpg

IMG_4451.jpg

IMG_4453.jpg

IMG_4459.jpg

IMG_4462.jpg

Brand-new Ice Spikers:
IMG_4445.jpg

IMG_4446.jpg

IMG_4458.jpg

IMG_4457.jpg

ЭМОЗ (Electro-mechanical experimental plant). Noticeable lack of tracks on snow in front of main gates - that factory is dead:
IMG_4468.jpg

IMG_4467.jpg

IMG_4465.jpg

IMG_4464.jpg

Kotlovka river (name derives from "kot'yol", which means either cauldron or a pit in river bed):
IMG_4476.jpg

IMG_4471.jpg

IMG_4479.jpg

Snow cannon sucks water from Kotlovka:
IMG_4474.jpg

IMG_4482.jpg

Wasteland behind ЭМОЗ:
IMG_4494.jpg

IMG_4489.jpg

Aeroexpress train on Paveletskaya railroad rushes to Domodedovo airport:
IMG_4497.jpg

Stray dog rushes to its miserable life:
IMG_4499.jpg

Office building populated by lots of geological/ecological government agencies:
IMG_4507.jpg

First icicles of 2018-2019 winter season:
IMG_4514.jpg

IMG_4513.jpg

Also, i've shot some videos with action camera during this ride and made a short clip. There it is:
[youtube]eY5jHZjZlOY[/youtube]

cooking monkey said:
Exact same name for a park near me.

Yep, funny coincidence :) I've noticed that when i posted here about my rides with wild students (first page of this topic, when we met actual elks).

We have many national parks similar to Alberta Elk Island in regard of wildlife preservation, but they all far away from big cities. Moscow Elks Island uniqueness is in geographic position - huge part of park is in Moscow city limits. Bad for wildlife, good for Muscovites.

Skorohod said:
ЭМОЗ (Electro-mechanical experimental plant). Noticeable lack of tracks on snow in front of main gates - that factory is dead:
Abandoned buildings and closed business make me sad. There's plenty of them even by me, north of Chicago. Just makes me think of wasted resources and jobs lost to China.

Back