EV charging stations = certain ebikes also can charge?

There's nothing wrong with trying to sell a solution rather than helping the community for free.

But having a decent bedside manner would make it more likely people would want to give you their money.

This is a information forum if you just want to sell your research instead of going to the point of talking about it then asking for donations for your search this is the form where we share the information.
Tony I hope you get through it.

999zip999 said:
Do you have a link ?
999zip999 said:
This is a information forum if you just want to sell your research instead of going to the point of talking about it then asking for donations for your search this is the form where we share the information.
Tony I hope you get through it.

Well see that’s the whole point of an information forum, you can search for twenty minutes and figure it out yourself with the years of posts, or you can pay somebody to figure it out for you. When you think about buying a car or a toaster, do you ask the Mfg to just give you all their knowledge for free so you can do it yourself? No, you buy their product which is paying them for the parts as well as expertise in bringing the value to you.

Tony01 said:
CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING said:
Bro, that plug is a 240V, potential 7+ Kilowatt charger. He may be asking just to be safe. Chill.
A 240v plug is not a charger. Sure I’ll help. Buy my plug. Hey did you ever search “j1772” here and read the 14 pages of posts??

Imagine getting this butthurt on the internet :lol:

CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING said:
Imagine getting this butthurt on the internet :lol:

What are you even doing on this thread. You have brought no value. Imagine using an EV forum to satisfy your social needs. I searched your threads. You don’t build. For the third year in a row you are still posting asking about, planning your first ebike build. You waste a lot of people’s time asking a lot of questions for stuff you’ll never do. Why don’t you shut up and build something?

Attachments

• 675A3662-4E26-4168-A723-D126CFAA9105.png
    675A3662-4E26-4168-A723-D126CFAA9105.png
    702.7 KB · Views: 438
Thank you #1 tony as I was able to get of my butt and get a new phone to help answer all your questions.
So we didn't get that link . ???
As I was trying to get the true value of the resistors as I'm old and can't see well and a little poor. And can't spell very well and use this as a learning tool to teach me to spell because of my intest in electrical ebikes and batteries. Tony #1 is this O .K.
Tony number 01 this is getting very OLD.
Please tale us when you are done.

I don’t know what the value is. I use an AVC2.r unit for EVSE com. The point of J plug charging is if you need more than 2300 watts as it’s the most you can pull off 110v 20a plugs. I charge at 3-7kw, I’d go 14kw with a 2nd j plug if I had more chargers.

999zip999 said:
Tony01 as smart as you are I thought you might want to share the pro's and con's of plugging into a 240v charging station. As I haven't mess with 240v at all. It sounds scary.

999zip999,

240/120 both should be respected, while travelling in south east asia, I have a few zaps of 240v, still alive but left a bit of a spot weld burn on my fingers :shock:
Being a newbie and not having read all the white papers, I enjoy these threads to learn [minus the drama]

J1772 plug + Pilot signal generator (AVC2.r) + 5-15R plug + Meanwell PS (auto selects 120/240v) + battery

1. J1772 plug by itself will the pilot signal generator to give you 240v at the plugs output wires
2. I opt for 5-15R plug so I can plug in meanwell
3. Meanwell PSs like RSP, HLG most of are compatible with a wide voltage range (88v to 280v or something), these will fine and I like them as they are well built machines, I lube the fan bushing/bearing with some TSI 321 yearly.
4. Battery - I am opting for pouch cell or prismatic cell batteries for my future builds. For example the Topband 25ah LFE cells can take a 25A charge. So with a 16s I can charge at 1.3 kw. :)

Ease of charging/access is the key here, most of us have batteries which can be charged at max 5A at 40v or 50v, so though we do not need a 7kw power source, it is good to have, if nothing, just to impress the ladies.

If you read Kingfish's epic Cali trip, he would charge anywhere he could find a plug.

OTS solutions:
I picked up a soldering iron after 18 years to build a XT-60 connector few years back for my lithium battery pack, so a off the shelf solution for guys/gals like me is preferred.

J1772 plugs is say $40, but you will need the comm unit, which I see on ebay is also $40.

For $85 we could probably find a reputable seller of J1772 plug with comm built in. I ordered one last week, once it is here I will test it and post it.

5. Using your existing 120v charger:
Back in the day, when I used to travel out to countries with 240v I used to carry a small 240v to 120v step down converter.
I used to see them in the walmart travel aisle many many years back, you can find one for few dollars online to use with your existing bike charger. I would get one with WATT rating that is 1.5x of your charger.

J1772 > 240v to 120v converter > Bike charger > Batt

[edited to incl, 240v to 120v converter option]

Yes high quality lifepo4 is great as my Regen hit 2,500watts on my C.A.down hill. And lasted 9plus years 1,480cycles it's in the corner now as it is big and heavy as 24s A123 20ah cell. No BMS always bulk charged.. Always balance.
As I'm a little disappointed with my 20s 6p pack of Samsung 40t is only 3yrs old and never got 24ah only got 18ah and is getting weaker. Maybe counterfeit cells ? I had it built. With B.T. BMS.
For a bike I think 16s is as heavy as I want.

harrisonpatm said:
dogethedog02 said:
slow charge/AC mode is easy with the correct passive adapter, if anyone with a high voltage battery can get dc quickcharge to work that would be impressive.

Don't quote me on it, but as far as I know, DC direct charging stations start at around 200v in most places. Makes it difficult to step that down to the voltage of most ebikes, say 48-72v. But i totally agree, if it could be managed, and your battery could handle the high current, that would be awesome.

CHAdeMO is a good alternative, since there's some info available on how to DIY it online: https://www.electricboxster.com/open-chademo.

How many chargers will go down to 50V depends on where you live. In Finland 2/3 of the fast chargers went down to 50 V for me (Tritium RT50, Garo QC45, Circontrol Raption 50). Newer chargers typically don't have the 50 V support anymore since it's no longer required in newer versions of the CHAdeMO standard sadly.

I've been charging LTO's in a trailer behind my bike at 125 A, 7,5 kW. Nice 20 min top-up for another 100 km at 45 km/h.

I wonder if in the new fight between CCS and the Tesla charger, if one of them would be chosen for their use in smaller vehicles. the J-port on CCS can be used for e-bikes and motorcycles, but Tesla only JUST opened their shit up and I'm not sure if it can support such low voltages.

Back