eZee stator removal

medusa569

100 W
Has anyone figures out how to remove the stator from rotor? I need to change some sensors and can't figure out how to remove this sucker. I am assuming the bearing doesn't get removed as a see no screws or on the other side is the cog mechanism and likewise has nothing to indicate removal. There is not enough room to use the same puller on it . There's nothing I'm able to find on the net about these type of hub motors.

medusa

Lots of info on pulling motors apart to replace the halls, so use the search function.
The eZee motor is a bit like BMC, MAC (CMA) or Puma with internal planetary gears.

The service manuals show how to remove the stator from the hub shell and the planetary gears, links to the manuals are here http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25741

You will need a 3 jaw puller to seperate the magnet bowl from the windings.

I have seen all these sights and I have not seen one article about separating the rotor and the stator. All the rest is easy enough. I don't see how you can use a puller as the lip is too small. All the videos I've seen are on separating the motor to the point of exposing and changing the cogs..nothing beyond that aside from dealing with the hall sensors on the bigger direct driven motors and I don;t recall seeing them use a puller to do that particular step either.

jateureka said:
The eZee came out with a few different motor variations, posting a picture of your motor would help...

Did you use the search function using the terms "mac" or "puma" motor ??

here's a link to get you started http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=51310

I searched for BMC and Bafang since the BMC seems almost identical from what I can see. Again tear down only goes so far. A couple of those links thought are very interesting but my motor doesn't have the advantage of the screws as the poster had on his MAC. If I had seen any screws I would a figured that out. Pic of each side are attached. Ezee wired.JPG[/img] Ezee back.JPG

You don't need to remove the axle, just the magnet bowl, so remove the washer and circlip from the axle per your 'back' pic and then use the puller, as per the teardown link I posted.
Spinning magnets used coins to space the puller jaws out and stop them catching on the stator and taped the thing up to stop the jaws slipping.

You have more than just a damaged hall sensor though. Those cables look nasty.
The cables should have been held in place with RTV silicon or epoxy, as per my photo below, to prevent them rubbing on the case like that!

jateureka said:
You don't need to remove the axle, just the magnet bowl, so remove the washer and circlip from the axle per your 'back' pic and then use the puller, as per the teardown link I posted.
Spinning magnets used coins to space the puller jaws out and stop them catching on the stator and taped the thing up to stop the jaws slipping.

You have more than just a damaged hall sensor though. Those cables look nasty. They should have been held in place with RTV silicon or something to stop them rubbing on the case like that.

Ah...so thats the trick...taking up the slack with coins. Of course when the motor is disassembled for me it is sitting outside of the other half that yours is shown still sitting in. The true remaining lip can only be maybe 3 MM thick before the magnetic ring starts. Yea I am lucky this happened as it would have been a mater of time with those ground down cables. Keep in mind those were only 8 gau wires. I put in 10ga so I'll be keeping an eye on that friction there. We learn as we go. I'd still like to learn about the entire tear down process in case I'd like to change axle at some point.

Any updates on your hall sensor and cable replacement?

Back