EZip Trailz LS - 2013

LeftieBiker said:
I can get a NIB black Trailz diamond frame SLA for $300 (no tax) from a private seller here, but I'm not sure I want to buy another new bike yet unless it's aluminum. One question about that Eco Ride 2: is there a PAS mode, or did they drop it? The description mentions TAG only. PAS has plenty of flaws, but it's handy for me as a sort of cruise control, to spare my throttle hand...
eco-ride 2
"User selectable PAS - pedal assisted throttle or TAG - Twist and Go full throttle system"

Hope it comes back on sale ...
Looks like they fixed every problem I every mentioned - except for crummy SLA, and I build my own Lithium ...

It looks like I'll be buying the new Trailz, if it's still available at the price I negotiated. Most of what I thought was worn freewheels on both of my bikes turned out to be play in the transmission gears, probably from worn bearings, that translates to a clacking noise that drives me nuts while riding, even though the one bike I have running seems to perform the same. I re-greased the motor on the black bike, and it got quiet as far as gear whine, but damn, was I surprised to hear that clacking when I bench tested it, and then the other motor as well...

LeftieBiker said:
It looks like I'll be buying the new Trailz, if it's still available at the price I negotiated. Most of what I thought was worn freewheels on both of my bikes turned out to be play in the transmission gears, probably from worn bearings, that translates to a clacking noise that drives me nuts while riding, even though the one bike I have running seems to perform the same. I re-greased the motor on the black bike, and it got quiet as far as gear whine, but damn, was I surprised to hear that clacking when I bench tested it, and then the other motor as well...
Identical "clacking" noise on 2 motors is likely not the motor!
More likely the chain has a "kink".
Possible the chain or wheel sprocket has some foreign object or defect, chip or notch.

Try:
Clean and examine freewheel and chain.
New chain.
Run pedal only with high effort and listen for noise. (Might be bearing noise)

At speed noises = approximate (9:20 sprockets):
8 times per second = Motor - gear or sprocket
4 times per second = wheel sprocket
3 times per second = chain
2 times per second = wheel bearing

The motors were both off the bike and being bench tested when I found the noise in each. No chain, period. As I wrote earlier, I had originally attributed the noises to worn freewheels, and both bikes were making noise. Further, the new chain didn't make any noise with the original motor - I removed it only because the gear whine had gotten so much louder. Great news: I quieted that whine right down with new grease. Now it just clanks...

I've got the new bike, and will transplant the whole motor/plate assembly onto the dressed bike this week. I will probably also swap the chain.

My 2013 eZip Trailz LS suffered broken spokes ... typical.
Instead of "properly" re-lacing the original wheel I rebuilt one of the WheelMaster wheels with the compatible alloy hubs I picked up a few years ago.
I might have 3 eZip wheels that are primed for rebuilding with the 13ga SS spokes I bought for them.
13ga spokes w/washers and "proper" directionality.
See - Broken Spokes - eZip - Solutions!
I plan on a day of mass production.
I bought enough spokes for 4 wheels ... if going well, I might re-build a 4th oem with still good oem spokes.

I also re-geared using the 11T Motor Sprocket Mod.
13T was 23mph @ 25.9V and a bit beyond "ideal".
Used more battery and pedal speed was lacking at cruising speed.

Just for "fun" I replaced the 14-34T Shimano 7spd with a Sunrace 13-34T.
20mph cruising is now a casual ~60rpm pedal rate. - My new Comfort Cruiser.

I've got one OEM wheel with a couple of broken spokes too. I had thought the freewheel in the hub was worn out, but now we know better.

LeftieBiker said:
The motors were both off the bike and being bench tested when I found the noise in each. No chain, period. As I wrote earlier, I had originally attributed the noises to worn freewheels, and both bikes were making noise. Further, the new chain didn't make any noise with the original motor - I removed it only because the gear whine had gotten so much louder. Great news: I quieted that whine right down with new grease. Now it just clanks...

I've got the new bike, and will transplant the whole motor/plate assembly onto the dressed bike this week. I will probably also swap the chain.
"Clanks" as a similar noise to a cars rod knocking?
Recently noticed that type noise, possibly 4 times per second at full speed.
(Got wind noise canceling ear warmers)
Noise volume is dependent on throttle position.
Sounds like steel tapping-bouncing against aluminum housing?

It's a rattle-clank that could be compared to a rod bearing, yes. I can get it to stop by disengaging and reengaging the motor a few times, so it's something going out of alignment spec. I assume the loose outer bearing is letting the gears get misaligned and clanking, but it could also be a gear tapping the housing.

I want to buy a new motor assembly for at least one of my EZIP bikes, but I can't seem to find the newer OEM unit with the spiral cut gears. Has anyone got a source for them? Failing that, Monster Scooter Parts has both the older motor/plate assembly, and this: http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/24-volt-450-watt-gear-reduction-motor-9-tooth-8mm-05t-chain-sprocket-1018.html Does anyone know who makes this unit, and if it's any good? If it's just the older OEM motor alone, why is it almost $50 less than the $149 one with the $15 motor plate...?

I can't find any Cyber Monday deals at all. I was hoping for at least 10% off the OEM XYD motor (if that's what it really is) at the Currie site, but they never seem to update anything there. Anyone see any good deals?

DrkAngel said:
LeftieBiker said:
I can get a NIB black Trailz diamond frame SLA for $300 (no tax) from a private seller here, but I'm not sure I want to buy another new bike yet unless it's aluminum. One question about that Eco Ride 2: is there a PAS mode, or did they drop it? The description mentions TAG only. PAS has plenty of flaws, but it's handy for me as a sort of cruise control, to spare my throttle hand...
eco-ride 2
"User selectable PAS - pedal assisted throttle or TAG - Twist and Go full throttle system"

Hope it comes back on sale ...
Looks like they fixed every problem I every mentioned - except for crummy SLA, and I build my own Lithium ...

Last o' the new eZips! ... ?
(eZip models have been discontinued! - might show up as some clone or new owner?)

Neighbor got an Eco-Ride-2 for Christmas, insured it and tried to register at the local DMV.
Of course, you can not register and license an electric bike as a motor vehicle, so he sold it to me, never ridden, for $250.

file.php

High rise bars are a pleasurable improvement!
Initial test ride points out probable upgrades:
More comfortable seat
11T motor sprocket for 20mph capability
Cree headlight w/8.4V Lithium power pack - Multi mode rear light w/lazer stripes
quality mud guards
25.9V 25.92Ah Lipo battery upgrade for 500% range and 500% battery cycles

My new "Comfort Cruiser"?

I like the high rise handle bars enough that I will add similar to my old Step Through Comfort Cruiser!

Attachments

• Eco-Ride-2.jpg
    Eco-Ride-2.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 1,257
Great luck for you! I'm going to not consider buying any more of these bikes until there is a solution to the transmission bearing issue. The bearings in the motor from the $300 NOS bike lasted less than 25 miles and now have to be babied like the old ones. I've got a brand new IZIP kit motor (same model but maybe better quality control) that will be my last attempt to get my bike back to 100%. I won't install it until warm weather, and will probably re-grease the transmission first.

Everyone trying to sell an E-Bike in NY, from dealers to private owners, will almost always tell prospective buyers that, sure, they can ride it legally! Usually they say it's because no license or insurance is needed. I do feel sorry for people who buy what seems to be a great alternative to driving everywhere, only to find out that the State considers E-bikers to be roughly equivalent to child molesters, and well below anyone riding a snowmobile or ATV on the same road...

New York State eBikers!

The New York State Assembly votes to legalize eBikes, nearly every year, often UNANIMOUSLY!
Then, is killed every year in the Senate.
12 year history of Assembly passage and Senate rejection. - See -NYS eBike History
You can comment to the Assemblymen and Senators after the description of the Bill.

Up for consideration again this year.
Please comment at comment portion after description of Bill.
Make your voice heard!
Spurn NYS Senators to finally take action!!!

Bill S997-2015 - Defines the term electric assisted bicycle

Bill A233-2015 - Defines the term electric assisted bicycle

And ... The the gasoline abomination Bill ...

Bill A5998-2015 - Defines the term power-assisted bicycle

Vulgar and inappropriate comments are not allowed.e]

I urge all New York citizens to comment ... and spread the word ... for more New Yorkers to make their voice heard!

I forgot about the submissions being "moderated" first. Hopefully there will be a bunch of good comments there this week. The Senate bill probably needs support the most.

A I was riding yesterday, I started to get a thumping noise from what I believe is the pedal crank bearings. The sound/vibration happens exactly once every crank revolution. I have a spare bike, so how do I R&R the crank and bearings? I'd like to get a better set, but I want to be riding again ASAP, and as I said, I have a new parts bike.

Check for bent crank or foot hitting kickstand or frame.
Inspect pedals for loose - slop - bad bearings etc. ... turn pedal 180º - test for same position problem.
Check for free play in crank.
Remove chain, check chainring teeth for foreign material, chip, notch or wear. - clean.
Loosen crank, add wheel bearing grease ... or
Remove left crank, remove left crank nut, disassemble crank, clean bearings and races ... inspect carefully for notches humps etc, lubricate and reassemble.

Thanks for the info. I had been able to watch the chain while riding, and there was no sign of anything amiss with that, just the thump. The next day I checked the crank for play, and there is virtually zero. I had a friend hold the bike on the center stand (the only kickstand is on the right rear "swing" arm) while I pedaled it by hand, and there was nothing going on - no thumps, grinding, chain binding, nothing. I got on the bike and rode it, and...no thump. I'm thinking - hoping! - that it was a foreign object lodged somewhere , and it came off again. The bike has about 2000 miles on it, and the bearings feel just a little bit worn, but not loose or grinding. I'm going to get the NOS bike up and running as my Summer ride, and will put this bike aside until I can service the crank bearings. I hope to do that during this next cold spell. I have a third EZIP, an orange slope tube, that I may convert to a hubmotor bike, or sell as-is, with no motor. Until this transmission bearing thing gets solved, though, I won't be buying any more of these bikes...

I've been building 7s (25.9V) and 9s (33.3V) battery packs for my eZips.
and
When necessary, or convenient, swapping controller with a 24 - 36V multi-compatible.

Since I typically gear for 20mph "legal" speed ...
and the eZip has 2 battery racks with a switch, to choose which pack ...
Just realized I have a 20mph "normal" and "switch" to "turbo" 25mph+ .
(difficult to reach switch while in motion tho ...)

25.9V 26Ah (671Wh) + 33.3V 31.2Ah (1039Wh) = 1.71kWh (1710Wh)
weighs only marginally more than the oem 24V 10Ah SLA 240Wh - 120Wh typical eBike usable

DrkAngel said:
I've been building 7s (25.9V) and 9s (33.3V) battery packs for my eZips.
and
When necessary, or convenient, swapping controller with a 24 - 36V multi-compatible.

Since I typically gear for 20mph "legal" speed ...
and the eZip has 2 battery racks with a switch, to choose which pack ...
Just realized I have a 20mph "normal" and "switch" to "turbo" 25mph+ .
(difficult to reach switch while in motion tho ...)
Went down to the local store at a casual ~19mph (7s battery).
Heading back, slight wind at my back, so "switched" to 9s battery and cruised about a mile at ~27mph.
Jumped ahead of traffic at a red light and no one got close behind me ... me likey!
On my comfort cruiser with XYD-16 motor and limited by 44-13T sprockets.

Gonna convert my "pedal bike", 2008 eZip Trailz w/44-11T sprockets and MY1018z motor, to 33.3V capable.
Should be capable of maintaining 30mph ... !
Motor seems to output slightly more speed from the same input.

Resurrecting the idea of a mini windscreen-fairing ... ?
Hunkered down with pedals at mid height ... behind modest curved surface.
A more aerodynamic position can offer better speed than moderate effort at a proper pedaling position.

Back