Falco e-Motors

Yeah, we're talking hub Falco HXM hub motors on various power platforms from 250/500w chassis to the 750w chassis.

As for pedalling or not, the 250w and 500w platforms are designed to be Pedal assist motors and the 750w upwards are configured to allow for throttle only use with no pedalling, but I think everything is explained in previous posts.

As of yet, there are no Falco Mid Drives in the line up, but if they do go down that route prepare to have your transmission shredded! :)

Since it was not mention in this thread .
And it is unusual for ebike kit and many can be surprised I guess.
It is clear from this offering /link at the bottom/
that FALCO kit can work with no console , console is optional.
Motor with controller built in is simply connected to battery and throttle only in basic configuration.
There is no any digital communication wires between battery electronics and motor/controller.
It tells me battery SOC meter is probably built into FALCO battery.
You simply can chose not to have all info displayed by FALCO console.
FALCO definitely is an open system - very desired by DIY crowd.
For example instead of FALCO console you can connect CAnalist between motor/controller and the battery on power wires

http://electriccyclery.com/falco_electric_bike_motor_750_watt_kit.html

What would it take to get these motors to dish at least a decent 100Nm of starting torque or more? Are the stators big enough?

The Standard 750w motor wouldn't be the one for closing on your 100Nm goal with a stack width of 40mm. But the 1000w/1500w motor will get close to that as standard (I believe the quoted figure is 80Nm). I've just looked at the website, and it's quoted as being 35-55Nm, but I think it is still needing to be updated. The stack width on that particular chassis is 50mm. Although the product has been prototyped and a few motors do exist, they are still being put through there paces at present.

There will be some posts regarding the high power applications of the motors once we get back on top of things here and get out of the Christmas period. I am very excited at the prospects of scaring the crap out of myself with it! :-D

Interesting Bob, that'll be a usefull offroad motor then potentially.

People will need to give some thought though as to price point if a $200 dollar BPM geared hub can do that torque with a $300 hundred bucks of lipo and a stock controller off the shelf. Being five phase is cute and all in an Audi R8 kind of way but of no real use if the price doesn't meet a high userbase's needs.

there are a lot of people who would pay $2000+ for FALCO 1000W system including me, because there is no comparison to China brands here.
There are group of customers in NAmerica who just don't want ONLY move from point A to B on ebike but who want to move from A to B in super smooth , completely silent way on ebike.
And it must cost money. FALCO would pay for itself fast if on give up on sensless 6cyl monster like F150 for example.
Looks from what HybridBob describes, FALCO 750W is an incredible exercise machne and silent one. Where are am from I cannot make any noise on bikepath, I would be so annoying and detected fast.
100Newtonmeters /Nm/ of torque on start up?
You are not asking for wheelies here?

Isn't the Falcon motor made in India, which is in Asia and making it an Asian motor nevertheless.

I am asking for wheelies here mirocar. That what a lot of us use hubmotors for here. Not all, but quite a few.

Do you have a financial investment in Falco mirocar? From the outside looking in you seem very eager to push them but not listen to people's views in this thread.

Check out this video if you haven't already:

http://youtu.be/-U078iJ8CuY This was using a 250w Faclo motor.

It's by no means my best riding, but to illustrate that you can do wheelies with the Falco motor, it works quite well! Plus bunny hop the bike and jump it with good amount of control.

The thing about wheelies is this: Power to weight ratios, rider skill and dependency on motor to achieve one as well as bike geometry! I can do wheelies on or off road with the 250w system all day long. You really don't need to have huge Kw and Nm figures to achieve it. I can do 25-30mph on the rear wheel flying past roadies after starting from standstill. The main reason why it is potentially difficult to pull wheelies with other systems is that they add a lot more weigh to the bike or the bike being used isn't naturally setup with the correct geometry to make it easy to get the front wheel in the air. Also because most motors require larger voltage batteries to give you enough speed range to carry a wheelie past 10mph your battery/motor combination gets very cumbersome and difficult to place in a balanced position. Stealth Bomber is a good example of how you have to have big motor and bigger battery pack to achieve the desired performance. If you took away it's spectacular power, which I love, the bike would ride like a bag of bolts because it weighs so much and the Geo isn't conducive to traditional bike riding.

But then to be fair I ride a bike with no saddle over benches, walls, railings and cars etc. WITHOUT a motor or suspension so for me it's quite easy to make any bike sing! Adding any motor just enhances the experience and allow you to do different things. :)

At the end of the day I'm not suggesting the Falco system should be used by everyone or is right for everyone. You have the choice over buying a Stealth, or a $300 motor. Same with the Falco over standard motors. But for those that do like the sound of it, it will do anything you want of it with some co-operation. The Falco system is designed to enhance your riding rather than to dominate it. I love all out brute power as much a the next person, but these motors do things very differently.

Although the motors are made in India we, here in the UK, have been pushing for higher quality and performance than we would have got without our input so that is should outshine traditional Chinese motors. Show me a Chinese motor, or German motor for that matter, with our performance at 36v or 48v that you can simply slap in your frame, plug in your battery and smash the trails and roads with a five year warranty doing over 30mph!? That is why it costs! And that is why you have the choice!

I got a 52v 12.5ah lipo from HPC and my LBS said they weren't sure if they could install it with the Falco HW 750 motor, I may just scratch the entire Falco idea and just go with an HPC kit since I already have their battery, bag, and my bike. Is it really that hard to use a 3rd party battery and hook it up to the Falco motor?

Looks like the issue is with the motor and the disc brake alignment, anyone ever have issues with a wobble and any suggestions on how to fix it.

Thank You

100Nm of torque is too much for FALCO powered ebike.
ONe thing is person assembling DIY ebike which jerks itself on acceleration , he does not sell it to public,
another thing is company like FALCO Motors selling ebike or kit to the public with all this liability.
With sudden jerk Serious spine injury waiting to happen.
No I do not have any connections whatsoever to FALCO Motors,
As you know in tech world everthing is about comparing and FALCO drive provide this comparison point with other gearless China DD hubs out there.
FALCO thread provides this comparison point
iF you wonder why I am active here in this thread?
FALCO is from the same USA design studio as EPLUS and legendary Tidal Force. Designed by the same team.
For example it achives on 36V a lot , other need 48V to achive same.

HybridBob said:
Show me a Chinese motor, or German motor for that matter, with our performance at 36v or 48v that you can simply slap in your frame, plug in your battery and smash the trails and roads with a five year warranty doing over 30mph!? That is why it costs! And that is why you have the choice!

Thats my point. I don't want to show you one when a hs3540, mac,ezee or code13 bpm will deliver a higher stall torque/acceleration for half the price and doesn't require the warranty. With a standard three phase controller.

Its not that i dont like this motor, its that it offers nothing new despite the hyperbole above.

And as for the claim that the mid drive is dead, i don't think Adam Mercier will be shooting his next youtube movie on a small dd hub, five phase or three.

I realise that by speaking out the same clown will probably head over to my thread again in attempt to silence me. But these are the facts.

This has daahub written all over it again.

HibridBob,
By saying "we" in your posts,
what do you mean , are you part of TEAM HYBRID LTD?
BTW
I would be thrilled if I have a chance to try FALCO 750W kit mounted on quality frame.
From your posts and other owners posts look like FALCO "works" wonderfully with the rider while pedalling - perfect for workout.
That is because how torque sensor input is processed in FALCO controller.
When you pedal, do you feel assist kick in , how abruptly???
Still no Canadian dealer as far as I can see.

Got my bike back today hooked up my battery and the motor is barely going 5 mph at full throttle and theres still a wobble which I guess I'll probably take to another bike shop to fix, I see to be stuck in turbo mode also, they put me in cruise unregulated mode before I left... Not sure what is going on will try calling Rakesh tomorrow I guess.

Figured out the issue, motor does not work until voltage is 55v or below my battery was showing 56v, the motor has a super soft start though sure hope there is a way to get rid of that as I don't see it being able to get me over any type of hill with that kind of start, its locked at 15mph now also...

As of yet I have not tried to use a third party battery that is outside of our proscribed nominal voltage range. I have had no issues using the AllCell packs at either 36 or 48v. If you stick to those nominal voltages there shouldn't be any problems. I've not tried anything with 52v so have no idea how that would affect the controller. That would be one for Rakesh to answer for you, Dominator.

dominator said:
Looks like the issue is with the motor and the disc brake alignment, anyone ever have issues with a wobble and any suggestions on how to fix it.

With the disc wobble, that can be caused by runoff in the side covers or the disc mount or simply a bent rotor. I have had this issue before on the 250w motors we stock here and it can be cured by simply straitening the rotor. Obviously if you then moved the rotor position or put it onto another hub it would be bent, but I have no problems after doing this fix. Even when working on regular bikes that have bent rotors or poor mounts, the same fix has been an essential repair/set up method for years.

Microcar,

you are correct on a couple of things there! 100Nm will probably be beyond what can be delivered from the system as it stands at the moment regardless of which Falco motor you chose. I hope that as the years spin by we can improve on that and deliver the goods on future products for those that want it. But without running the motors on a dyno how do you usually KNOW what the NM measurement of a given motor is? when we get the chance I'm going to dyno the Falco system just to see how it performs! Yes I personally think that if the takoff of a motor is that vicious, it should probably stay in the hands of DIY builders to play with. The public would be a dangerous place to let that rip on!
However, although the standing torque isn't as impressive as some other systems and builds, I believe, the continuous torque delivery is more evenly distributed so you still retain a higher Nm figure at higher speeds. But again I would prefer to get dyno results to verify that!

Yes I am affiliated with Team Hybrid and Falco. I am the Operations director of Team Hybrid. We are helping the Falco team to develop the motors. It was us who persuaded Rakesh to get the project off the ground. I have been involved with the project for the last two years. We have made some very big leaps forward in that time but we don't like to rest, we are constantly trying to meet the high expectations we set for the product ourselves. All and any feedback form end users is incredible important to us so we know if we are delivering what is promised and improve the product as much as possible.

Samd said:
Thats my point. I don't want to show you one when a hs3540, mac,ezee or code13 bpm will deliver a higher stall torque/acceleration for half the price and doesn't require the warranty. With a standard three phase controller.

At what voltage and what top end speed!? Again perhaps I'm picking nuts out of squirrel sh1t here, but are you saying you don't want to because none of them do offer that kind of warranty or do we have some serious competition on our hands!? Remember, we are aiming this product to non-DIY end users who value the peace of mind of a warranty. If any of those above mentioned motors did ever give up the ghost for whatever reason does the end user get left in the lurch with a broken product and have to buy a new one!? That is why we offer the warranty. For guys like us who want to play around with motors and over clock them, so to speak, do we ever honestly expect to get a warranty when running them way above recommended voltage and current? No!

My point is that we can get the same if not better overall performance than any other motor out there at significantly lower voltage and current demands! That is what the system is all about. And although there has been mention of the Falco motors costing a lot more than everything else, we are cheaper than Bionyx and offer far better performance and, again, warranty.

Is there any other DD or geared motor that will still be churning out full assistancewhile doing 30mph when running at 36V? I would be extremely interested to know!

But you're right Mid drive will never die and shouldn't! You can build some mental bits of kit using the mid drive solution. My only personal beef with them for regular end users who buy things such as Bosch drives and Kalkhoff bikes etc. is that regardless of transmission type, you are going to eat your "bike transmission components" in no time at all and the general feedback is one of frustration when having to replace high end Shimano gear on a regular basis.

miro13car said:
From your posts and other owners posts look like FALCO "works" wonderfully with the rider while pedalling - perfect for workout.
That is because how torque sensor input is processed in FALCO controller.
When you pedal, do you feel assist kick in , how abruptly???

When you are riding with a TS (Torque Sensor) program in the motor, we have made it so that it never outruns you. One of my/our biggest pet hates were pedelec motors and indeed some torque sensor systems that just spit you along regardless of how you want to ride. I can only speak for the 250/500w systems in that they match your speed and join in the fun almost seamlessly. Yes you feel the help when it kicks in, but it assists you in a much more symbiotic relationship. The motor is always monitoring your speed/acceleration, and effort you're putting into riding and will react according to that. It is quite difficult to put into words how it feels, but the best way perhaps is to say that it's just like riding a regular bike, but you suddenly develop muscles the size of tree trunks when you need it. Best advise is to ride one when you get the chance! But that's grim you don't have any Canadian dealers yet :-(

Okay so looks like if bat is 53v or lower the motor uses full power instead of only 10% power if that when its above 53v, this kind of screws me and hopefully Rakesh can assist in reprogramming the motor if possible to at least use full power at 55v which is what is advertised specs wise that it should accept. Speed claims are also off, advertised as 35+ mph for the 750w motor at 48v, I'm getting 30mph 0 to 25mph is fast then the last 5mph requires me to arch down for less wind resistance and a long stretch for it to slowly reach 30 mph, it may be possible that it could reach 35mph given enough space / time to reach it but is pretty useless if you need the 35mph right away for a short distance. The wobble is also noticeable when accelerating then releasing the throttle it makes a jerking motion which is the axle moving a little which is causing the screw to come to loose will def put some loctite on there for now, I will take it to a shop to see if they can fix it if not I'll ask for a replacement as if it were not for this wobble / jerking (could be my bike dropouts was not made for this motor who knows as there is a little space where the axle drops into the fork dropouts) the ride is incredibly smooth and quiet though other then the jerk from the axe slipping in the dropout during acceleration. Overall my impression of the motor is pretty good compared to my motiv but dont know if its worth the price tag.

Couple of things you want to make sure of as follows:

1. There is an automatic protection for the battery. As you draw more power from the battery, battery voltage sags and motor will reduce torque to protect the battery. Useful range for the motor is 45 to 55V. Anything outside that range is not going to work. Motor will completely shut off power when using a 48V nominal battery if battery voltage dips below 43V or above 55V;
2. Because of motor torque, torque arms need to be secured quite well. Otherwise you will have an issue with the motor movement in the dropouts.

Hope that helps! :)

For your particular case, what I suspect is that the battery voltage begins to sag after you reach 25mph. Can you confirm that through your console?

Battery is definitely not sagging enough to cause the issues im seeing lowest it gets is 48v, the acceleration is not smooth either a jerking motion as it gains acceleration. Tested it in a hill yesterday that my old ebike had no issues climbing and the falco died halfway up the hill. It just doesn't make sense that without weight the wheel will spin 100+ mph but as soon as you add weight its like 25mph... Seems very inefficient and aimed more towards pedal assist if you help it a ton and there is less resistance then maybe it will go faster, I've asked for my money back minus a restocking fee as I am very disappointed in the results, the wireless console also loses connect constantly and yes it is fully charged.

There is no way to know about the battery sag as motor will react fast. Your motor is being programmed so that it will not limit the current because of the sag in battery voltage. LiPo batteries are notorious for battery sags. Normally we do no recommend Lipo batteries.

Anyhow, with limits off, you can see the motor performance.

Thanks, yea I took it back to the shop and they are going to try taking off the limits to see if that helps, I really hope it does as I like the look of the Falco motor just not so much the performance as it is right now. The Lipo manganese battery I bought has the ability to power a different motor though with ease, although maybe that "motor" isn't limiting me like the Falco one is though, hopefully issues can be resolved.

You should try the 500W with your battery. It will easily power you to high speed. That motor can use lower battery capacities. With high torque, high speed, the setup is more challenging. We will be introducing our own batteries for 750W and 1000W so these kind of issues can be avoided.

Back