Farewell Segway

Balmorhea

100 kW
https://apnews.com/3525b9a69569d57dc41a373e82a8f1cd

Segway, which boldly claimed its two-wheeled personal transporter would revolutionize the way people get around, is ending production of its namesake vehicle.

The Segway PT, popular with tourists and police officers but perhaps better known for its high-profile crashes, will be retired on July 15, the company said in a statement.

I would say I’ll miss you, but when you were around, I pretended I didn’t know you.

"I would say I’ll miss you, but when you were around, I pretended I didn’t know you."

I'm thinking the same thing. They seemed to attract a "type". Clueless yuppies mainly, who often traveled in herds.The only thing they revolutionized was a brand new way for granny to be run over on the sidewalks.

momus3 said:
The only thing they revolutionized was a brand new way for granny to be run over on the sidewalks.
Well, Kamen had two great ideas there. One was a self-balancing two wheeler and the other was a better option than a car to get around. But they never really took off, and for some reason the biggest user around here were tour groups made up of mostly clueless people.

Hillhater said:
Neat idea, but severely limited by many city’s preventing their use on public areas, sidewalks, or roads.
But the principle (and name) is still used on many of the smaller “balance board” type scooters.

Perhaps in some areas. But what I saw was the opposite. The Segway was often given privilege over other similar transportation devices that have different wheel arrangements. Very specific laws granting exceptions to Segways were enacted in some (many?) cities.

IIRC, Hawaii's ebike laws were rewritten specifically for Segway, but in such a way that ebikes were actually outlawed, for some time. There's at least one thread around here about that.

I like my electric skateboards better. Less weight, much more protable. I have a WowGo 2S (10S2P - 4Ah) 42 inch longboard dual hub motors (500W) for fun that tops out at 38 km/h with 15-20 km range (17 lbs) and a modified "small fish plate" 27 inch e-skate cruiser 200W single hub (7S2P - 4Ah) topping out at 18 km/h for short city travels (range 8-12 km)... The latter is very easy to toss and hide under a desk! And relatively light to carry (7.8 lbs)! I love it.

Sems like scooter would still be too bulky and heavy for my taste. Same for electic monowheel.

Love my two ebikes too, but they take some space and locking them outside I fear too much to go to work with em.

Matador.

Back