Finished - 1500w 20" Electric BMX Build

giek2000

100 µW
Built a 250w (peaking at 700w) front hub BMX last year which was a ton of fun. I quickly started looking at building a 2nd BMX with some more oomph.

Opted for a 1500w CSC Front Wheel Hub kit installed in the rear, combined with a Yosepower 48V 13A battery. Despite dropout being 110MM the 100MM wheel fits a charm.

Kit does 30MPH which slumps down to 26MPH or so when the battery gets low. I've yet to do a range test.
Covered ca. 150 miles the past 2 weeks and already thinking about an 84V build :lol:

Below is an attempt to document the build process.

[youtube]R3OPFkMZT8Q[/youtube]

Wheels just arrived.
01.jpg

Battery removed from its original case.
02.jpg

I 3d printed a slim fitting case for the battery and wrapped this in Carbon Fibre. This was done in a simple vacuum-storage-bag.
03.jpg

Followed by a healthy dose of epoxy to make it a little shinier.
04.jpg
05.jpg

Battery prepped for the bike.
06.jpg

Battery case mounted and ready for battery.
07.jpg
08.jpg
09.jpg

Accidentally left the cover for the battery case out in 30.C sun for a day after sanding it. PLA got droopy and had to reprint / epoxy it.
10.jpg

Cut the grip off of the original (full) throttle and added a 3D printed extension to match my BMX grips length.
11.jpg

3D printed box to hold the controller which got the Carbon Fibre treatment too.
12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

New cover for the battery box. Fused sticker in / under the epoxy.
22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

And the finished bike.
diy electric bmx.jpg

Looks like a blast to ride! Thanks for posting this simple yet clean build. I really like the battery case nice and compact looking.

I did a BMX build almost a decade ago very similar but I made the mistake of using Walmart junk bike tires off a kids bike not thinking...I had a really bad crash at 35mph when the front tire rolled off the bead on a corner

Nice build i been planning a bmx was gonna build battery box to, you set the bar pretty high with that carbon one, damn, gonna have to try copy yours now 😉 :bolt: snm sticker is the cherry, used have same one on my snm dirt jumper as teen, blast from the past :mrgreen:

Greendog said:
Nice build i been planning a bmx was gonna build battery box to, you set the bar pretty high with that carbon one, damn, gonna have to try copy yours now 😉 :bolt: snm sticker is the cherry, used have same one on my snm dirt jumper as teen, blast from the past :mrgreen:

Cheers dude, epoxying the sticker into the battery case was a bit of a trial but worked a treat I'm happy to say.

giek2000 said:
They were all printed in PLA yeah. So far everything is holding up perfectly fine. Battery hasn't moved a mm :)

Yeah, that layer of carbonfiber wrap & epoxy negates just about every possible negative with the PLA, lol.

Nice build.

Back