First time build - Converting a Yamaha XT250

kuhioday

1 µW
Hi everyone, I have an old Yamaha XT250 that has been laying around for a few years now. I took an interest in converting it to electric, because I figured it would be cheaper than trying to buy an electric motorcycle new.

However, I can't say I really know much about converting motorcycles, or really working on vehicles at all. I have a good amount of experience working with electricity, as I used to be an avionics mechanic in the Army. I want to know if this project would be realistic and if it would REALLY save me money. Even if it would be just as expensive as a new bike, I'd still be game. I like to reduce waste and it feels a shame to throw this whole bike out. I do have a lot of tools and a space to work on it, but nothing that is specifically for working on motorcycles.

If this is a project that I could realistically undertake and could be cheaper/slightly more expensive than buying a new electric motorcycle, I'd really love some advice on where to start and what kinda of components I'd need.

Thank you! Below are some pictures of the bike:IMG_20231201_135226421.jpgIMG_20231201_135230328.jpgIMG_20231201_135246614.jpgIMG_20231201_135237205.jpg

How you intend to use the bike will determine your motor size and needed battery capacity. What speed, for how long, and up what grade? Do you intend to install a hub or a mid-drive motor?

I'm in the planning stage in the building of an eGrom. I figure about $3000, which would be less half the price of a store bought emotorcyle of similar specs. In my queries here I was informed to think about a battery that can power my intended usage. So, down the battery rabbit hole I have fallen. I'll build an experimental battery from salvaged cells that Chalo had linked to. That will be for a bicycle. And then figure out the battery for the Grom. I plan to order a motor for the motorbike in the new year. It will be a hub motor, which will be simple to mount, once I figure out how to lock the motor into the swing arm. I bought a used swing arm for the bike, so I could go back to gasoline if my "experiment" doesn't work.

Falling into the battery rabbit hole has been quite instructive. Once you figure out how to build capable battery packs the ev world is your oyster.

Last edited:
How you intend to use the bike will determine your motor size and needed battery capacity. What speed, for how long, and up what grade? Do you intend to install a hub or a mid-drive motor?

I'm in the planning stage in the building of an eGrom. I figure about $3000, which would be less half the price of a store bought emotorcyle of similar specs. In my queries here I was informed to think about a battery that can power my intended usage. So, down the battery rabbit hole I have fallen. I'll build an experimental battery from salvaged cells that Chalo had linked to. That will be for a bicycle. And then figure out the battery for the Grom. I plan to order a motor for the motorbike in the new year. It will be a hub motor, which will be simple to mount, once I figure out how to lock the motor into the swing arm. I bought a used swing arm for the bike, so I could go back to gasoline if my "experiment" doesn't work.

Falling into the battery rabbit hole has been quite instructive. Once you figure out how to build capable battery packs the ev world is your oyster.
Thank you! I really just intend to use it for short trips, say 40 miles round trip max. Never exceeding 50 mph. As for grade, it would unfortunately be kind of substantial. I have an incredibly steep driveway. I'd really like to go with a hub motor. Honestly, if that isn't an option I may just scrap the idea. Trying to fab a mount is way outside my skillset.

If you're thinking hub motors you need to know your wheel diameter. QS motors seems to "be" the manufacturer. For my 12in Grom wheel I'm looking at the 268 motor, at 6 or maybe 9 kws. Your bike will probably be a 273 motor in the rim size of your bike.
The devil in your conversion will be the battery. Forty miles at 50mph you'll need quite the battery.

I suggest that you look at Stealth Bomber clones for reference. I have an 8kw with a 48ah? battery and it goes about 35 miles. Your bike will be heavier but you might be able to pack more battery on to it. IMHO your project is viable but you either need to learn some fabrication skills (not too hard for your job) or buy beer for someone who is interested in your project. At the min, the battery has to be mounted somehow. YMMV

Guys, ditch the hub motor idea and go with this ready made solution. Motorbike Electric Conversion Kit Motorcycle Electric Engine For Simson Ossa - Buy Motorcycle Electric Engine,Motorbike Electric Conversion Kit,Electric Engine Product on Alibaba.com

The gearbox will give it the ability to climb anything and can extend the speed range. This unit is already used in several bikes the size of that yamaha so you might consider buying one of those or at least refer to them for component sizing.

Back