First timer, looking for advice on conversion.

idkhalp

10 µW
Hi all,

I'm looking into converting my gf's bike : http://www.norco.com/bikes2016/city/fitness/vfr-forma/vfr-6-stepthru/
She has a short commute (1.7 miles one way), but we live in extremely hilly sf, so looking for power, not range / speed. She'll have to lift the bike onto a rack at work, so light weight is key.

From what I've read, it looks like the bbs02 should work with the bike. Looking for confirmation & advice on options.
I'm looking at this kit : https://lunacycle.com/bafang-bbs02-750w-middrive-kit/ Option-wise: Mighty mini 52v battery (for low weight), 52v 2amp Lithium Charger, don't think I need anything else?

I have zero xp with bike mechanical work, so I'll probably get help from a local shop. That being said, I'm totally willing to get my hands dirty.
Thx for any and all feedback!

You say you are new to this
and
You live in Hilly San Francisco

Well you already linked to exactly what you need, or at least one of the top options to fit the bill.

No need for you to complicate things any more.

The BBS02 and the Battery that you linked to ( 52 volt, but not that mini, get the next larger size up,
and instead of any old local bike shop,

Ask for and pay a Endless Sphere member that lives close to you
and that has installed one or more of those BBS02's , Then you, She , Will be very happy soon.

I second that. Be aware that while the BBS can climb hills really well, the BBS is not a super powerful motor so you won't be winning any drag races or going 50 MPH--you can do that last part unpowered on one of your city's downhills, though, so maybe not an issue. :shock:

Spend as much as you can on the battery, because you will likely use all of it!

Id buy the BBSHD and never worry about overheating.

Thanks for the advice. I do think I'll stick with the bbs02 for $$ reasons.
I would love to have an endless sphere member help me! If anyone is willing, please PM me :)
And sure, I'll jump for the bigger battery. An extra 4 pounds shouldn't be too bad. Looking at this one: https://lunacycle.com/52v-panasonic-11-5ah-or-13-5ah-shark-pack/
Anything else I should know before I hit confirm? Just want to double check this'll work fine with her bike.

idkhalp said:
Thanks for the advice. I do think I'll stick with the bbs02 for $$ reasons.
I would love to have an endless sphere member help me! If anyone is willing, please PM me :)
And sure, I'll jump for the bigger battery. An extra 4 pounds shouldn't be too bad. Looking at this one: https://lunacycle.com/52v-panasonic-11-5ah-or-13-5ah-shark-pack/
Anything else I should know before I hit confirm? Just want to double check this'll work fine with her bike.
biggest in Ah you can afford. Just remember to use your gears with the bbs02. Its not a moped. That motor likes to be run at higher rpm. IMO with lots of hills a smaller chainwheel is a good idea. 42T My only worry with the 02. Riders who try running uphills at high speed.

You can also try making your own battery. In your area there should be a lot of people who will be willing to help you. You can look on craigslist or contact makerspaces and ask if you can spot weld 18650s.

That would be a lot more cost effective, because you can make a reasonably small battery that's at or over 1KWh for about $500. And that will actually give you a good usable range.

Unfortunately, one draw back of the BBS is you can't get regen from it.

flat tire said:
Unfortunately, one draw back of the BBS is you can't get regen from it.
This is the third time today I've run into regen woes. I have regen on one of 6 bikes. It's nice but any motor with regen is ill suited to the conditions the OP will ride in, making it useless. No?

tomjasz said:
regen is ill suited to the conditions the OP will ride in, making it useless. No?

No he lives in SF which has ridiculous elevation. That's literally one of the best places to have it. Also, regen is pretty foolproof on most controllers, what issues are you having?

hilly terrain is the best for regen breaking, why to grind pads when you can convert your motor into generator and return Whours into battery?

If you are going to need help for choices and building, see Ilia at Ebikes SF on Ocean ave.

I have had help from Ilia a few years ago. He is someone you can trust, the only match I have found to Justin at Grin Tech in Vancouver for truth and reliability.

MadRhino said:
If you are going to need help for choices and building, see Ilia at Ebikes SF on Ocean ave.

I have had help from Ilia a few years ago. He is someone you can trust, the only match I have found to Justin at Grin Tech in Vancouver for truth and reliability.
Sadly ebikes sf burned down a couple years ago

Ah! Sorry to hear that. I would guess that Ilya must have a small shop somewhere in SF, maybe at home. May be worth to send him a PM.

Back