flyinmonkie's commuter (build 3)

flyinmonkie

10 kW
Out of the ashes of my chopper comes a geared commuter bike. I have been planning it for some time now and now is the time to start putting it together.

Stats:
dirt jump frame (cheapo at this point)
disc brakes
24in rear wheel
26in front wheel
front suspension
seat post suspension
currie scooter motor (overvolted slightly, eventually)
lipo batteries
serial drive
geared (either internal hub or derailleur)

They say the greatest form of flattery is imitation, well Matt S., I am imitating your drive on the cheap and custom for my motor. It won't be cnc'd bling, but the function is very similar. The frame mount will be be quite different though, so I think I should be safe from any intelectual property rights. lol

The batteries will either be on a rack or in pannier bags. The motor and single stage reduction will be between the seatpost and rear wheel if it fits, if not, I guess it will go in the triangle.

The plan is to get it up and running and then save for an rc motor and drive for it. The motor mount and reduction I am copying... er a making will be able to be moved to another bike easily after I upgrade to rc. This will most likely be for the little lady as she is afraid of the rc stuff after what she has seen from you guys. Too much power for her.

Here is the frame. Now it is time to clean it up and see what parts I need to upgrade and get the rest of the stuff that makes it a bike. Gotta love the recycling centre for finds. The fame aas it is cost $5.

Clay

Attachments

• dj frame.jpg
    dj frame.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 735
Well... After tallying in up cost of parts to create what I want, the cost was getting quite high, despite the low cost of the frame. So after some research, I found a Kona Roast with everything on it. I just have to get my motor and reduction drive made and order some batteries. Then slap it all together. I make it sound so easy, lol.

Here is the motor mount and reduction drive. I'll have the mount drawn up soon.

Clay

Attachments

• motor bracket.jpg
    motor bracket.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 274
I am getting a quote on making up my motor and reduction bracket and mount. I should hopefully hear something tomorrow. I may also be able to pick up my new bike tomorrow. If the cost is right, then it will be all go for the motor bracket and mount. I'll have a good look over the bike when I get it and decide if I go with a 24" rear wheel and put the motor between the wheel and seat post, or in the triangle in front of the seat post.

Below are my idea for a motor and reduction and mounting bracket. The reduction unit is very similar to Matt S. fine RC units. The mount will clamp on the the bearing housing for the reduction like Matt's as well, but then use 2 pieces of angle with flanges to clamp the seat post. When I though of using it on my chopper I figured I could even hang the motor below the frame and have the reduction jack shaft and bearing housing above the frame in front of the rear tire. I may be able to do the same depending on the room between my pedals.

Clay

Attachments

• motor bracket.jpg
    motor bracket.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 274
  • motor mount.jpg
    motor mount.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 274
I picked the kona up tonight and will post some pics soon. It will need a little work to tune it up to spec, but all in all it is good. I am waiting on a quote to get my drive made up and should hear back by the end of the week. In the mean time, I'll sort out the bike and work on getting it ready to take the drive and batteries. As well as set up my gearing for it.

Clay

Back