Ford etruck F-150 Lighting - Opinions?-

https://www.autoweek.com/news/future-cars/a36490165/ford-f-150-lightning-powers-home/

It’s actually pretty simple. Pushing electricity back into your home is almost as easy as taking electricity out: You just leave it plugged into the 80-amp Ford Charge Station Pro and home management system.

Normally when plugged in, the truck will be drawing power from the grid to charge its batteries; if power gets cut, however, that charge stream will reverse, feeding back from the truck’s batteries. Of course, you’ll have to have the Charge Station Pro installed before a major power outage for this to work, and Ford reminds us that your house will also need to disconnect from the electrical grid, which makes sense—we doubt the Ford F-150 Lightning has enough juice in its battery to back feed enough power for your entire city.

The Charge Station Pro comes standard with the Extended Range pack, and is optional with the Standard Range battery.

Which is $50k and 300 mile range.

Even without the charge station pro, i should be able to run my 1000watt HVAC off the truck, with my 12ga 120v cord direct to my AC (during an emergency, like after a hurricane) 8) can't do that w/tesla :shock:

Found some more info:the battery range for the 230-300 batteries are EPA numbers with 1000lb payload.With a unloaded truck the 300 mile range battery goes to 460 miles.

Hillhater said:
Yea, ..it would probably be cheaper to give all the electricity consumers on Kauai one of these Ford etrucks, rather than spending the millions $$’s planned on the Solar + battery + pumped Hydro scheme needed for the next RE storage upgrade step on the island.
Figure you're taking the piss, but that's actually a good idea; V2G systems can stabilize grids, provide peak shifting and peak shaving and provide backup power to boot. And there's no installation; the battery comes with its own delivery system. All it needs is a communication interface to send demand signals.

For awhile now I thought that might be the best way to go. It solves most all the problems.

However that requires the utilities cooperation :wink: . Good luck with that.

Unless you want to go commando, I think that if you want to install solar you should be required to also install a small battery backup with everything tied to the grid and the utility given limited control over your system like they already have with their smart meters.

Cooperation for the win. 🏁🏁🏁

Hawaiiguy said:
Found some more info:the battery range for the 230-300 batteries are EPA numbers with 1000lb payload.With a unloaded truck the 300 mile range battery goes to 460 miles.
That is NOT what the EPA , or Ford, are saying......it just YouTube rumour based on a wild estimate from the onboard range predictor with a 80% charge remaining. I think i would take the EPA figure over that estimate.!
EPA never run battery mileage tests with a payload.
And even if they did, 1000lb on a 7500lb truck would not make 50+% difference to the range

Back