Forget ebikes. E-unicycles are where it's at!!!!

flat tire

100 kW
Apparently there is a bit of a learning curve for people who are not pro skaters or human-power unicyclists but these things are awesome.

They've been around for several generations and are generally reliable. The power is great, the range is better than most ebikes.

Cost for a good electric unicycle (EUC) is USD $2-3k.

I just got one that does 40+ MPH. Almost 2kWh battery. Ridiculous range, silent. Only bad thing is no suspension. But it kicks ass. For riding ebikes on street, and commuting and stuff like that, this thing is way superior. Who else?

flat tire said:
I just got one that does 40+ MPH. Almost 2kWh battery. Ridiculous range, silent. Only bad thing is no suspension. But it kicks ass.

Consider that this might be a pass/fail test, where the method of passing is to say, "no, thank you".

And where the method of failing is to get fed through a tube.

Hillhater said:
But what do you do for gearing when you get to a decent hill ? ....
...(One of the primary reasons for ebike assist systems !)
You don't worry about it because in the case of my unicycle it has ridiculous torque and peak power over 5kw so it will get up pretty much any real-life hill. People on youtube have gone up 40*+ stuff (measured slope before riding).

Balmorhea said:
Consider that this might be a pass/fail test, where the method of passing is to say, "no, thank you".

And where the method of failing is to get fed through a tube.

Yeah that's hilarious and people will say the same thing about bicycles that go 60+ mph like ours on ES. The solution? Wear gear, use your best judgement, and have a great time!!!

Holy crap, man, these things are seriously a blast! You guys should get in on them while they're unknown. If you like ebikes and can learn to ride these things you will not regret it.

Some threads, including yours from last year:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=*unicycle*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Some more threads:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=*unicycle*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Funny this just showed up in my feed

Spontaneous Unicycle Combustion
https://youtu.be/fiSaSM-PkJU

amberwolf said:
Some threads, including yours from last year:

New year, new thread. Most importantly I actually have a e-unicycle this time. I want to let people know right from the OP that e-unicycles are awesome and you all should go buy one, now.

john61ct said:
Funny this just showed up in my feed

Spontaneous Unicycle Combustion
https://youtu.be/fiSaSM-PkJU

The factory units are very well engineered. That one was modified and then sold by some clueless asshole on alibaba.

CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING said:
I was hoping OP here was gonna convince me to spend money on a Superride S1000. COMON FLAT TIRE, PULL YOUR WEIGHT

I wouldn't recommend that wheel, man, look at Gotway instead. They have some wheels that will put that thing to shame, but you need to add your own bars. ewheels is the most reputable seller if you're in the USA.

OMG, an exploding unicycle. Don't see that every day. That guy sure was concerned about that tree, never mind the rider lying in the middle of the road with traffic going by!

Unicycle was on fire while he was riding it, probably had some counterfeited battery cells installed in the unicycle.
"They" do anything to sell product, "they" dont care.

TBH the guy riding the fireball, something is up, something is funny about all that because he is on his knees for a good while, then when selfie stick guy gets half way he lays down and straightens up so his body is parallel to the middle line all the while his head is looking at the fire.

There will now be a black burn mark on the home owners sidewalk, which if it was my home I'd want the entire length repoured, not just the one section. Or just the 3 sections that make up the drive way.

0:05 smoke is seen
0:09 guy falls and is on his knees, fire erupts
0:14 guy lays down

Thats quite a long time to be on your knees then lay down to stage a scene for Youtube clicks.
edit - Also note, there is a 2nd guy with videotaping the incident. Kinda of strange and odd that 2 people would be videotaping. Thats not normal human behaviour and thats why I think its staged.

Not staged IMO. For one thing, what is the motive for taking such an unpredictable risk ? Not like they have a bazillion views or anything. Also, the thing was on fire and the guy was still riding it for a second. Jumped/fell off when he realised what was happening. Looks pretty real to me.

serious_sam said:
For one thing, what is the motive for taking such an unpredictable risk ? Not like they have a bazillion views or anything.

Looks like there was a 4th standup unicycle scooter rider up the road where the suv was coming towards the guy casually laying on the ground. Selfie stick camera crew guy got the best pic, post it up get clicks.

Look at selfie stick guy at the beginning, look at his shadow along with the other guys shadow.

You'd be surprised at what people film for their youtube channel in order to get more viewership.
33,243 views •May 31, 2020

Jesse Pike 64 subscribers

I watched the video myself a few times and while the user could have always rigged the battery to explode, there's nothing in the video itself that makes me particularly think the fire was staged.

flat tire said:
I watched the video myself a few times and while the user could have always rigged the battery to explode, there's nothing in the video itself that makes me particularly think the fire was staged.

Valid point there!
I give another piece of evidence to ponder and leave it at that.
So your hanging with 4 of your friends and your just cruising around and you fall in the middle of the street and your battery is on fire but its 15' away. My hypothesis is you'd jump back up on your feet. Heck, I fall down and there is like a stranger looking the other way and I jump up acting like nothing has happened. :lol: Done it like that a few times actually.
Hey to each their own. Some are more skeptical then others.

Moving on, whats the most power that you could use in a stand up or sit on unicycle. Is one method better then the other, stand up or sit down. I've seen some crazy non - "e" unicyclists doing log jumps, jumping off cliffs, going down steep slopes. Seems crazy, eccentric crazy.

It's simple really, standing up is better for offroad or anywhere rough since you can use your legs as suspension.

Sitting down may be more comfortable for longer rides, and you have less drag so you might get more range or a higher top speed.

Good unicycles with decent top speeds of 30+ tend to be pretty powerful, with peak draw from the battery between 5 and 10 kw. The reason for the power is so they have plenty of headroom to always accelerate the unicycle to a position in front of your balance, which is necessary to start braking. The advertised power of ~2000W of unicycles in this class is a genuine continuous rating.

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/05/riding-a-modded-electric-unicycle-at-40-mph-in-nyc-tunnel-has-consequences/amp/

[youtube]RwcxT4lOnpo[/youtube]

The trouble with electric unicycles is that the slightest problem encountered by the vehicle’s only wheel usually results in a fall. If that problem is an oscillation and it happens at a significant speed, ugly things can happen to the rider.

I hate it when that happens to me when I'm riding a bike! Oh, wait... that doesn't happen when riding a bike.

Balmorhea said:
Oh, wait... that doesn't happen when riding a bike.

Yeah, I agree bikes are a lot safer and easier to go fast on but you can do something similar on a bike if you get the front out of track like setting it down crooked after a high speed wheelie or riding rough terrain. That's why they have steering dampers.

[youtube]Rf2Pptpbnp0[/youtube]

Yea soooo all those videos are from my guys here in NYC...none of them are staged, we've been ordering custom spec'd wheels for a good year now. Doesn't always go well.

Nothing beats an EUC in a city setting. NOTHING. Don't even kid yourself thinking otherwise.
The newest gen wheels will get you to 50mph outta the box if you remain zen at the limit. They will cruise at 40mph all damn day and they can hold tons of cells. Super efficient

My 84v cyc bike basically matches a 100v Gotway. I built my bike because I had two knee surgeries last summer on my 84v MSX that I STILL RIDE. Very dangerous, but very very efficient way of getting around FAST

VizineVizion said:
Nothing beats an EUC in a city setting. NOTHING.

My 84v cyc bike basically matches a 100v Gotway.

The CYC is one of the smallest weakest bike motors. Meanwhile any fast ebike can stop MUCH faster, accelerate faster, and corner...much faster and more quickly than a EUC. Suspension lets you take curbs and big bumps at speed. Stairs are something you can bomb up or down not take like a novelty while killing your knees on a wheel.

Don't get me wrong the EUC is fun and very capable but an ebike is more capable in all objective areas.

Also what the hell would possess you to order sketchy modified versions of an already questionable fail-deadly device you intend to ride over 40 mph??

flat tire said:
Also what the hell would possess you to order sketchy modified versions of an already questionable fail-deadly device you intend to ride over 40 mph??

Some prefer more range or need it for delivery work. I'm personally a downtown kid but still managed 3k miles on my MSX

You can't beat a square footprint that does 50 mph effortlessly. Your statement on power doesn't matter in a city with 25mph bumper to bumper traffic. Neither does the braking scenarios as we follow brake-less fixed gear principles.

We all race together, uni's, boards, dualtrons and onyx rcr's. Ya sure you can blast down an avenue when it opens up but that doesn't count. I've yet to see anything larger than a eboard maintain its lead once we catch traffic again. And all the NYC eboarders are switching to Uni's as well. Cant be beat

FWIW rn I enjoy riding my bike more as I'm not flying around @ 30mph+ all the time. I can bully my way thru traffic VS running from it.

oh! and lastly, I have a prototype Kingsong s18 with air suspension heading my way this week :mrgreen:

VizineVizion said:
50 mph effortlessly.

You're so full of shit I doubt you have ANY eucs in your group that have EVER hit 50 mph except maybe downhill and it would be a complete stretch of the performance on full battery not effortless at all. Bicycles can fit in the same narrow spaces as a unicycle if the bars aren't too wide.

And yeah YOU won't be doing your 50 in a crowded area unless it's opened up either. And when it opens up a nice ebike will zip the frock past you, brake check you so hard you can't stop in time, and corner so hard you will drag footpegs and crash. Not to mention the huge advantage in roll rate and transition time on a bicycle.

flat tire said:
VizineVizion said:
50 mph effortlessly.

You're so full of shit I doubt you have ANY eucs in your group that have EVER hit 50 mph except maybe downhill and it would be a complete stretch of the performance on full battery not effortless at all. Bicycles can fit in the same narrow spaces as a unicycle if the bars aren't too wide.

And yeah YOU won't be doing your 50 in a crowded area unless it's opened up either. And when it opens up a nice ebike will zip the frock past you, brake check you so hard you can't stop in time, and corner so hard you will drag footpegs and crash. Not to mention the huge advantage in roll rate and transition time on a bicycle.

Good morning. Last night with the prototype Veteran Sherman. 63mph free spin. 50mph advertised. 125mi range. Pre-order one 👌
8CAA068E-D2B4-439B-BBC9-6CB623B2E966.jpeg62C7D98C-B81F-4F29-BC83-02C5BB4565CF.jpeg

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9e1GnYpO08/?igshid=wpw2i4geu4qp Feel free to come for a run :wink:

VizineVizion said:
Last night with the prototype Veteran Sherman. 63mph free spin. 50mph advertised. 125mi range. Pre-order one 👌
8CAA068E-D2B4-439B-BBC9-6CB623B2E966.jpeg62C7D98C-B81F-4F29-BC83-02C5BB4565CF.jpeg

Oh ok so it can BARELY do 50 mph on a full battery, maybe, according to some people, and I don't see that as the advertised top speed. Meanwhile you post a pic doing a speed my stock monster can hit. What actually happened is you just got a wheel you THINK you can do 50 mph, but you didn't actually do it yet or you would have posted a pic of 50. You are so f ucking full of shit.

Back