foundingpower programmable bms

As to current direction - yes, you have to reverse hall sensor!

As to turn on/off: if there's balancing in progress, then BMS won't shut down immediatly, but will continue to operate as long as it's in progress.

Regards,
Gregor

3 BMS order , and paid since february , no repply , no news ... somebody have contact with eason Lau ?

What's could be wrong if begin check doesn't give any results?

I've just completed putting the BMS on a 24S LiFePo4 pack and checked every connection at least 4 times.

1+2 to 1low
3-13 1 hight to 11 high
14+15 12 high
16+17 13 low = 12 high
18-28 13 high to 23 high
29+30 24 high

No smoke, no sounds, the oled doesn't light up.
I can connect through USB but there is no data displayed and it doesn't work.

Wll, my version-1 BMS is still broke.
Been trying to solve this from november 2013 on, but as good as no reply from eason unfortunately....
Greg is doing the best he can, but he needs Eason to send him parts, so he's stuck as well...
I think its a bad thing that this goes on and on for 5 months now...
Selling is good, but when you sell, you sell warranty as well, and that's something that seems to be a hard part...

pitty...
It had such a good potential...

For me personally, i can not advise anyone to purchase this BMS anymore... :(

dutchlincoln said:
For me personally, i can not advise anyone to purchase this BMS anymore... :(

The problem is that there are no BMS with some intelligence at all apart from the really expensive ones ... and even this one here can't really be called cheap.

My experience with the Smart BMS from bmsbattery.com was a bad one as well (wrong programmed and expensive programmer) ... and also with a dumb fire and forget one.

True, and might be so, but as you state yourself; even this one isn't really cheap as well.. Then, when you have a problem (like i do) and no support, it becomes really expensive....

Connecting the charger I finally got the BMS to work. About time.

Can I turn it on while not charging? If so I can't figure out the pins to connect... who can tell me?

Exco, did you have bms switched on when testing? It is not turned on when connecting the batteries, you must turn it on with switch ...

Btw, I am in contact with Eason and if everything will be agreed ok my company will be official eu reseller for this bms units as well as level 1 technical and warranty support. So please be patient (can't be done over night ... ), but then service and support will be way easier.

Regards,
Gregor

mucek said:
Exco, did you have bms switched on when testing? It is not turned on when connecting the batteries, you must turn it on with switch ...
what switch? where does it need to connect to? (that's why I'm asking)

Check manuals on http://www.ecat.si/smartbms/?lang=en
Connector P8, pin 11 (page 9) shall be connected to vcc (battery +). Use switch, that was provided with the bms.

Regards, Gregor

Are you sure - directly to the positive Terminal?

I tried yesterday with a 4k Resistor which in my case already results in 1.6W (24S@ 80V) ... and the BMS not turning on.

Are you sure you connected to the proper pin?

Regards,
Gregor

mucek said:
Are you sure you connected to the proper pin?

Regards,
Gregor

I think so ;)

but now i just read in the CS-BMS-Connection that:

Charging or discharging is extremely PROHIBITED when BMS is turned off. Please
turn on the BMS in the long-term, only if the battery pack is no longer used. Generally, we
suggest our clients to turn this switch on to make the BMS keeping working and alarm in
time. However, we suggest our clients to turn off the BMS only if the BMS is not used for a
long period(longer than one month) because of the energy consumption of BMS will
exhaust the battery pack.

But it doesn't say so in smartBMS_EN_1.0.pdf - so what did I break connecting the charger?
So far I only got my bms to turn on by connecting the charger.

Can you measure, what it should draw on pin 11? I will check later if the fet is broken.

Attachments

• Founding Power BMS.jpg
    Founding Power BMS.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 2,933
I guess that you did not break snything, bms turns on automatically, if charging and cells are empty, so there is enough voltage difference.
I won't be in office until Monday, so I can't measure this until then.

I measured with 24 V system - I get 44-45 mA. And yes, the pin that you marked with red circle is a correct one.

About charging and discharging with BMS off: this will not destroy BMS, but can destroy the cells, as charging would be completely unsupervised. This way it is an idea to keep BMS always on. The new BMS version also turns on automatically when connecting the charger and voltage difference between (empty) battery and charger is big enough (at least 3 V).

Regards,
Gregor

mucek said:
I measured with 24 V system - I get 44-45 mA. And yes, the pin that you marked with red circle is a correct one.
Thanks for measuring. So that's about 1W.

mucek said:
About charging and discharging with BMS off: this will not destroy BMS, but can destroy the cells, as charging would be completely unsupervised. This way it is an idea to keep BMS always on. The new BMS version also turns on automatically when connecting the charger and voltage difference between (empty) battery and charger is big enough (at least 3 V).
I already have the new version that turns on when connecting a charger.

I will look at the bms tonight again and see if it turns on with a resistor for 50mA - but that would already be 5W power @80V which seems a bit much.

Hi!

I just added connection schematics to the smartBMS webpage:
http://www.ecat.si/smartbms/?lang=en

See second document under Documents and Downloads section!

Regards,
Gregor

Dear all,

with proud now I can announce, that my company (http://www.ecat.si) is exlusive distributor as well as support for Foundingpower's BMS units for the EU area (as well for others, if Foundingpower decides to direct them to us).

This way shipping and support issues will be much easier for clients as well as any warranty issues that may arise, as shipping within EU is much simpler then exporting stuff to China.

Please visit http://www.ecat.si/smartbms/?lang=en for more details about smartBMS as well as documents download.
This page will soon be a bit redesigned (in a way of seperating stuff such as downloads etc.) in order to make it more readable.

Best regards,
Gregor MACEK

Attachments

• pog.png
    pog.png
    275.3 KB · Views: 2,780
mucek said:
Dear all,

with proud now I can announce, that my company (http://www.ecat.si) is exlusive distributor as well as support for Foundingpower's BMS units for the EU area (as well for others, if Foundingpower decides to direct them to us).

Congratulations.

Thanks, guys! :) We'll do our best!

@tomaj: True!
(Tomaj wrote in our native language (Slovenian), that our region is most "electric" ... Though Slovenia only has a population of 2 million of people, we are seperated in several regions, where one region (Gorenjska) has some pretty famous e-vehicle developers and builders (Andrej Pečjak etc.). Come and visit us one day! :)

Regards,
Gregor

Hi
I´m Marco from Portugal. I have a e-bike Jonway Predator 5Kw since 8/2010. Now has 48 500km (+30 000 miles) and the battery pack in perfect conditions. I had a capacitor bms from EV Assemble that i had to replace. I chose FoundingPower bms and it´s working fine since 11/2013.... and now i have the bluetooth upgrade.
Here some photos of my ebike and the FoundingPower bms:

Hi, Marco!

Nice to see your bike finally :)
I'm glad that everything work as expected. What's your battery configuration and which cells are you using?

Regards,
Gregor

Back