• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Freewheel and shifter

dbackmtb

1 mW
Just finished my first ebike and thanks to Roger, Jason and Justin and especially the knowledgeable gang here on ES. Your recommendations were spot on from day 1 and it made my choice and build as smooth as butter. I went with the front hub kit from Ebikekit.com and some accessories from Ebike.ca. I bought both the front and rear hub and am testing the front hub first. Really can't go wrong with either company. Excellent patience and support.

Before I install the rear hub, there's a little matter to decide. It took a while for me realize the rear freewheel situation and the top speed with an 11 tooth vs. a 13 tooth. Seems as though 23mph is the top range to comfortably peddle (22/32/44 crankset) w/11t which is fine for my front hub. For the rear hub, I purchased a Shimano 7 spd 11/34 Megarange. My mtb has a 9 spd shifter. Can anyone tell me if this will work or must I purchase a 7 speed shifter?

View attachment 1
EDback2.jpg

I checked w/ my LBS and he immediately said yeah he has one for me, I'll ask if he has another one, if so I'll pick it up and PM you if you wish. $25 + shipping

Fark me, that's a score.

They are like Hen's teeth these days.

For what it's worth I use a 9speed rapid fire shifters on an 8 speed freewheel. No problem. But I am generally only shifting between the top 3-4 gears, so any mis-alignment is not big enough to cause me an issue.

I checked w/ my LBS and he immediately said yeah he has one for me, I'll ask if he has another one, if so I'll pick it up and PM you if you wish. $25 + shipping

Nice. If there is another spare, let me know as I'll grab one.

Cheers,
Adrian

Back