• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Full-throttle's 2nd - in progress

yeah, FT, i assume you do what jozzer does, right? (jozzer is known for running a couple lipos.):
file.php

what connector is it you've got on those balance taps and what gauge is that? and please show us your bloody charger while you're at it.. :mrgreen:

GCinDC said:
yeah, FT, i assume you do what jozzer does, right? (jozzer is known for running a couple lipos.):
file.php

what connector is it you've got on those balance taps and what gauge is that? and please show us your bloody charger while you're at it.. :mrgreen:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
holy shitballs! well... atleast if a pack goes up then you can still get home on the thrust of detonating packs!

Not shit! That's a dam nuke right there! Lol! How many Kwh?? 5-6??

Assuming that's something like 9 packs by 17 packs (counting white patches along edges), at 3.7v/cell, 6 cells/pack, 5ah/cell, it's more like 16-17kWh.

Jaysus.

Would love that pack for the Vectrix! Stupid saggy lifepo4.

Imagine the POWER that thing could pump out! 2000+ amps continuous! Lol!

Alright, enough of this mess [pun intended] in my thread :lol:

sn0wchyld said:
Do you do any particular cell testing before putting them together like that? Any particular tips/things to watch out for for someone thinking of trying it themselves?
Pick the cells that are 3.85 +/-0.05V. Charge them individually. Sort in order of Ah (a small sticker in the corner of each cell) then group them with roughly the same Ah per group - largest with smallest, medium with medium, etc..
Keep an eye on the pack while it's charging.

GCinDC said:
My favourite small signal connector Molex Microfit 3.0
It's reasonably splashproof and very reliable. Needs a special crimper and prob not cheap, but that's not a big deal for someone who works around electronics :wink:

Bulk charger is just a 58.4V max LiFePo4
BC168 balance charger

full-throttle said:
Alright, enough of this mess [pun intended] in my thread :lol:

sn0wchyld said:
Do you do any particular cell testing before putting them together like that? Any particular tips/things to watch out for for someone thinking of trying it themselves?
Pick the cells that are 3.85 +/-0.05V. Charge them individually. Sort in order of Ah (a small sticker in the corner of each cell) then group them with roughly the same Ah per group - largest with smallest, medium with medium, etc..
Keep an eye on the pack while it's charging.

GCinDC said:
My favourite small signal connector Molex Microfit 3.0
It's reasonably splashproof and very reliable. Needs a special crimper and prob not cheap, but that's not a big deal for someone who works around electronics :wink:

Bulk charger is just a 58.4V max LiFePo4
BC168 balance charger

you dont bother to sort by IR too?

I SO want to return my NEW LiIPO4 brick now. $499 delivered, 48V, 20aHr wrapped in duct tape with the BMS in a white plastic case (eBay) just doesn't satisfy after seeing this. Nice work F-t!

Attachments

• LiPo softpak.jpg
    LiPo softpak.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,893
full-throttle said:
sn0wchyld said:
you dont bother to sort by IR too?
That would be nice. Not sure if it's as critical as the Ah capacity though.

my thoughts were that overall ir would have a greater effect on the balance of cells than capacity... a high ir cell (or parallel group) would waste more energy on each charge cycle than the lower ir cell next to it... pulling it out of balance faster. I could be wrong though. :|

maybe you guys didn't hit the jozzer link i put, so here's the quote:
Jozzer said:
Spacey said:
You are a brave man with all that Lipo 8)

Not that much - I've made/used/raced over a dozen vehicles with Lipo packs bigger than 10KW/h, and not had any problems yet. The main thing is to CHECK ALL PACKS VERY CAREFULLY. I don't mean just give them a discharge and charge - that's not enough. Our testing process is to cycle the packs twice looking for any anomolies (high IR cells or low capacity - 3-5% of packs will show faults here), then put them on the shelf for 6 weeks minimum and repeat (often a cell will have a higher self discharge rate than it's buddies and needs to be weeded out so it can't weaken your whole pack - another 2-3% of packs will be found faulty here).
The bigger the pack, the more careful you must be to have all good cells. So far, not a single pack that has passed this testing process has failed in use (out of perhaps a couple of thousand).

Course, that said, a 300KW vehicle is bound to be a bit dangerous.. :twisted:
obviously for smaller packs, less current demand, capacity usage, this may not be required, but i think few can argue with the method for big dangerous packs...

That controller looks so trick. Is that the whole thing on your handlebars or just an interface ? I assume the green box is the guts of it ?

shorza said:
How are you finding the new controller?
So far so good. I couldn't get it to run exactly how I wanted, but after talking to them I know what setting to change. Will hopefully test it again on the weekend.

Hyena said:
Is that the whole thing on your handlebars or just an interface ? I assume the green box is the guts of it ?
That's right - the power stage and driver is inside the green box, size of a 9-fet controller. The interface is on the bars.

toft said:
That's andreym, one of the developers and the owner of the Avanti D8 I was referring to previously.

I'll bring the bike to the next group ride

Looking forward to seeing it on the ride - is there anything you haven't destructively tested? Our government should make your ebike research tax deductible mate...

Would someone post photos of your chain guide and idler pulley modifications? I've seen one and would be interested in how everybody else has approached this issue. Plus, my crank set freewheel has a bit of play in it, adding to the problem. Is there a way to tighten that thing up? I've never dismantled a freewheel before, not even sure how to get the crank arm back off, common freewheel tool not an option.

Could you tell (full-throttle) where can we bay this lcd panel (all staff)?
Regards, Mike:).

toft said:
They are not available for sale yet. The one I have is evaluation sample. The first production batch is in progress so shouldn't take long now.

Quick update: voicecoils, Maurice from Glowworm Cycles and t3sla had a test ride on Sat after the Ausbike show. Throttle lag on the new controller was perhaps the only concern.

full-throttle said:
toft said:
They are not available for sale yet. The one I have is evaluation sample. The first production batch is in progress so shouldn't take long now.

Quick update: voicecoils, Maurice from Glowworm Cycles and t3sla had a test ride on Sat after the Ausbike show. Throttle lag on the new controller was perhaps the only concern.

ha, so much for starting to sell round, what was it... may or something :p ? great to hear those guys are still in business!! hows the setup working so far? Did you get one with the BMS?

Yes, one with the BMS. Have not hooked up the BMS yet.

The were some development delays, like SW bugs, EMC problems. It's all understandable.

Should be getting a firmware update shortly 8) would be nice to have a more responsive throttle

sn0wchyld said:
full-throttle said:
toft said:

ha, so much for starting to sell round, what was it... may or something :p ? great to hear those guys are still in business!! hows the setup working so far? Did you get one with the BMS?

Thanks for the ride on your sinewave controlled GNG D8, full-throttle! He's got a lot of pimpin' tech all on one nice bike. To top it off, we geeked out on BPM internals, bike tools & balance chargers after being treated to a great meal.

Sn0wchyld, yes we're still going! Growing & expanding capability. Maurice & I both post occasionally from the shop's glowwormbicycles E-S username.

voicecoils said:
sn0wchyld said:
full-throttle said:

Thanks for the ride on your sinewave controlled GNG D8, full-throttle! He's got a lot of pimpin' tech all on one nice bike. To top it off, we geeked out on BPM internals, bike tools & balance chargers after being treated to a great meal.

Sn0wchyld, yes we're still going! Growing & expanding capability. Maurice & I both post occasionally from the shop's glowwormbicycles E-S username.

what the hell?! I thought you guys were russian! or is it just one of you thats russian? Or am I just crazy? hm... just realised that's not really an either/or question :p

When do you guys think you'll have everything ready for buyers? and do you know how big the 7kw controller's gonna be?

Back