Fully Integrated e-Road Bike w/ Bafang M800

j_spline

1 µW
After researching fully integrated e-road bikes with double chainrings from major brands such as Specialized, Canyon, Trek, etc, I've noticed that they don't support Bafang M800 drive systems. They rely on systems that are not available for retail purchase (ie. Ebikemotion X35, Fazua Evation). Does anyone have insight to why the tech for fully integrated double chainring e-road builds is so proprietary?

What struck me as odd is that I had no problem finding fully integrated e-road carbon frames for sale that are molded to accept Bafang M800 drive systems (and the other more proprietary drive systems for that matter) that were available for retail customers. The Bafang M800 drive system was the only only full system I could find for sale to retail customers. However, I have not been able to find any successful build threads for fully integrated e-road bikes. Since I am somewhat new to DIY ebikes, I was wondering if there is a reason for the lack of support from the DIY community for projects like this - is it simply too new / expensive / difficult to pull off DIY?

Not a direct answer to your question but if you are in the US and feel limited due to lack of availability on shimano, bosch etc I have a qbp account and can probably get you those parts at cost if you need as they have been trickling into the warehouse

Manbeer said:
Not a direct answer to your question but if you are in the US and feel limited due to lack of availability on shimano, bosch etc I have a qbp account and can probably get you those parts at cost if you need as they have been trickling into the warehouse

That's pretty cool, thanks very much for the offer I may take you up on it sometime soon.

No problem, I see a good amount of Bosch right now and some shimano. They also have Fazua but sales are restricted so you need to sign up as an authorized merchant to purchase which can sometimes be a bit of a pain

Juat as an FYI, in my own shopping Ive noticed BIKESDIRECT lists several models sporting integrated bafang 600 and m800 setups.

"why the tech for fully integrated double chainring e-road builds is so proprietary? "

I don't think it is a proprietary issue as much as the market demand for drop bar eBikes is just developing and the large players are on it but there have been options out in the DIY world for years to make a nice road bike. Kleper has made some amazing bikes using his rub on the tire system for example.

I have been riding e drop bar bikes since 2016 using front hub motors because as much as I like torque sensing PAS on my mid drive mtb I like riding without any PAS on my road bikes just as much. There is no more natural pedal feel than one that is not influenced by other means such as PAS. A throttle and cruise control with the ability to set at any wattage desired and hit cruise control, enabled via my CA3, and you can pedal up and down the gear range at the cadence you desire all the time.

I recently tried a road oriented bike with a TSDZ2 but not drop bar, more roadster, for a semi fair comparison because other than the Ebike Motion system the manufacturers seem to be pimping mid drive. To me it is ok and does the job but maybe because I am so used to my regular system it just doesn't feel right. So now I have put 2.3 tires on it to better combat the harsh grades of gravel I have in my hood that were eating away at my 40c ones. It sees some pavement to and from but for longer better surface rides the hub bike gets the nod every time.

Back