Fusing a battery pack

1abv

100 kW
Hey all I’m installing a Kelly controller on my
Bike. I’m trying to determine what size fuse to install
The pack is a 72v 35ah pack built of 140 Samsung 50e cells w a continuous discharge of 9.8 per cell.
Do you know what size fuse I should install? Or dc breaker? I’m a little unclear. Thanks!!

It will depend on what your controller is rated for how many amps is it pulling. Also the c rating for the battery

The controller is a kelly KLS7218S 72V, 200A max 80 continuous they rate the controllers on the phase side so not sure what that translates into.
the pack is 7p 20s

The continuous discharge of the battery pack if my math is correct is (9.8 per cell x7) 68.6a / 4934 watt. (the manufacturer rates the BMS at 80a continuous don't understand this. shouldn't it be less than the packs rating?)
the burst is (14.7 per cell x7) 102.9a / 7408 watt (the manufacturer rates the BMS at 160a burst. (don't understand this. Shouldn't it be less than the packs rating?)

in looking at the controller the battery wires look to be around 8 AWG. I spoke with the kelly rep they said 100a fuse I spoke with the battery manufacturer they said 50a fuse. Based on 8 AWG wire wouldn't that be 50-55? I was under the impression that the fuse is there to protect the wiring only.... totally confused on how this works.
BTW as far as the C rating as best as I can calc each cell is 2c so 7x2= 14c for the pack? does that make sense?

Back