G310 problem solved! Clutch in BACKWARDS.

ayukawa

100 µW
I've been chasing this problem for upwards of two years. Yeah ... I don't want to inform you on all the things I tried. But rather the symptom and the solution.
Standard G310 from Grin, CA3, baserunner. Installed on old mountain bike. Ran really well for a couple of years. Even hauled a trailer for a couple of cycle tours around the islands (this is important as it turns out).
1- Started to lose traction (motor just spun) at cool temperatures (well cold for the island; 10C). Ok when warmer.
2- Gradually got worse until it didn't work at all.
-- a bunch of bad diagnosis on my part; lots of other unrelated issues and changes that I had made that confused the situation --
3- Installed a NEW clutch from Grin. I was so hopeful but it didn't do anything, other than mess up the freewheeling.
Note: For those familiar with this motor, you have to be careful with the dual lock nuts otherwise you can also cause freewheeling problems.
4- Got some good support from Grin. We tried to chase down some possible controller issues or loss of configuration.
5- As it turns out, I had installed the replacement clutch BACKWARDS. Bafang at some point changed the default marking and direction. So, don't go by the laser marking ... there is a direction arrow if you look carefully. So now you know!
./Mike
G310 clutch.jpeg

Back