Geiger Engineering motor

find any pricing in the web site?

used to be you couldn't find a decent axial motor....now you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one!

Thud said:
used to be you couldn't find a decent axial motor....now you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one!
:mrgreen:

It's not axial flux, though.... :D: http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sinusleistungssteller.de%2Fstand.html&sl=de&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8 (scroll down)

Note the copper strip windings.......:D

may not be AF but the windings look alot like something i seem to remember getting discussed here in some thread or other :wink:

I like that they call it an electric flight motor. :) I want to build an electric ultra-light so bad. :)

Hi,
Very good information digging. If you read carefully, implies multiple sets of 3phase windings are being looked at (I approve that). Flat copper foil (very good also)? Minimized iron? Interesting. Also, the comment about sine drives. Sensorless? Maybe good only for uniform loads and relatively constant RPMs like aircraft applications. It appears they also state that a lot of DSP muscle is needed to keep it sensorless. Sometimes, it appears if technology is coming to a head. I believe some of this work is really in the direction of soundless drone surveillance aircraft propulsion (for crusing after arrival at the target). I applaud their trying to do steering with two motors. It is certainly worth watching where this really goes.
kenkad

liveforphysics said:
I like that they call it an electric flight motor. :) I want to build an electric ultra-light so bad. :)

Luke,

I'm with you there... maybe even a personal Heli Backpack with redundant oppositional rotors.

-Mike

mwkeefer said:
liveforphysics said:

Luke,

I'm with you there... maybe even a personal Heli Backpack with redundant oppositional rotors.

-Mike

After crashing RC helicopters about a hundred times, caused by a range of things from human error, an unexpected puff of wind, any one of about 50 mechanical systems failing, or any one of 5-6 electrical systems failing, I would rather just stick with something that has a wing if I'm going to DIY it, and then carry myself through the sky with it. :) :p

But I would love to help and watch you build a helicopter backpack. :) I'm sure it's possible if you want a 1-5min flight time.

Miles said:
Thud said:
:mrgreen:

It's not axial flux, though.... :D: http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sinusleistungssteller.de%2Fstand.html&sl=de&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8 (scroll down)

Note the copper strip windings.......:D
Miles, if you follow that link you give, about one third of the way down you see a velomobile picture and another link above it labelled more. If you follow that link there is some very interesting data about the velomoblie efficiency, there is also a 10 minute video which includes a section where he is going 55kph up a 7% slope. Here is a little of the Google translation of that page:
After an initial inventory, a lengthy discussion and some preliminary experiments with possible components that were attached to an ergometer, we recommended not just our controllers SLS-42-110 also suitable for this application engine from Torcman. This is coupled with an additional clutch and a gearbox on the bottom bracket. To ensure that the engine is not supplying drive power when the crank rotates faster than the engine. The maximum speed of the engine, we can set the parameters for the SLS-42-110 accurately and precisely define it, to be effective at what maximum speed of their support. A second positive effect was achieved with the clutch: the start-up is possible only with muscle power, as the currently available SLS does not create any start-up from the state.

The battery was developed by Wulf Kraneis of 12 parallel strings with 10 series-connected (10S12P) Lithium-ion cylindrical cells, which by the elongated shape of the resulting battery packs are accommodated in elegant bike. With approximately 7kg keeps the weight of the battery pack still in the frame. The set point is about our speed control unit (SG), the potentiometer is mounted directly on the wheel and can be operated with the thumb.

We agreed to meet with us in 19/06/2009 Kist to incorporate the SLS into the waiting vehicle and make driving tests for the controllers first ballot.
======================
Overall, the bicycle is placed on that day more than 35km test track in some very hilly terrain back at an average speed of about 50km / h. Were to consume less than 0.25 kWh of energy initially carried 1,0 kWh. If one high, there is considerable range of about 150km pro kWh! What proportion of the muscle while playing, but can only judge by the driver himself. To us, he has certainly made no impression exhausted - quite the contrary!

Again, coverage 150km/kWh! If we were a liter of diesel (energy content 10kWh) using a diesel engine and generator into electrical energy (converted, we assume an honest modest efficiency of 35% for it!) We would get 3.5 kWh of electricity. The Cycles could thus drive over 500km, this is over 5 times as far as the general Economical, which has the automobile industry ever produced (and also for testing purposes only!) and about 40 times as far as the average car today !
-------------------------------
I'd also like a description of what makes this motor different if you can manage it. Thanks.

A bit off topic,
How much power is needed to get an ultralight and human up to 1000 ft. altitude?
I would definately stay clear away from a helicopter with a 1 minute run time. :shock:

It's all going back to hub motors I tell you! Imagine that mounted in a carbon fiber rim. 8)

etard said:
A bit off topic,
How much power is needed to get an ultralight and human up to 1000 ft. altitude?
I would definately stay clear away from a helicopter with a 1 minute run time. :shock:

If you and the ultralight are 550lbs, and you had a 100% efficient machine at lifting you vertical, it would be 207Whrs to get to 1000'.

This is the minimum ENERGY, you asked for POWER, which would of course range between 1 to 1,000,000,000,000,000,000hp depending on how long you wish to take getting to 1,000ft. ;)

The BMAA Forum has had a lot of hassle from trolls lately, hence the probable reason for the lack of response (I used to be the BMAA Chairman, years ago and used to post on that forum, before the trolls took over). By pure coincidence I also know Paul Robertson, Paul Dewhurst (who was Vice Chairman of the BMAA for a fair while) and Paul Welsh pretty well and have been following the progress of electric light developments for some time. Paul Robertson was part of a team that was working on an electric paramotor propulsion system, together with some folk from my previous place of employment (the Defence Academy).

There's nothing particularly high tech about the approach they've taken, and I know that they've had a few over-heating problems with the big Plettenburg motors on their test bed aircraft (a Lazair twin engined microlight). I've not heard anything new from them on the Hummingbird project since the design competition 18 months or so ago (I entered the same competition, as it happens).

I have a suspicion that Paul Dewhurst and his business partner, Ben Ashman, may well be working on an electric version of the DoodleBug powered hang glider harness, rather like the one that uses Dr Eck's motor. They are also working on an electric version of their deregulated microlight, the Dragonfly.

I could give probably give Paul a call and ask how things are going if anyone wants to know more.

Jeremy

Back