• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Giant Comp DH bolt on build

Try reversing the blue and green, phase and hall wires.. I'm fairly sure that will work on the Lyen/Crystalyte motor combo.

Nice build, very clean and stout.

-Mike

Only 8 battery packs? Is that not way to little. I have 15 5000 6s packs and will have 20 mounted in center soon. Plus I am working on an extender pack to give me 32 packs in total.

8 packs like yours would only get me about 12 miles the way I drive.

Edward- 32 battery packs? What does that look like? I'm shooting for a thin, light nimble type of ride. Even if I can't go as fast for as long- the ride should be better. My center of mass is great right now.

Mike- thanks for that advice. I will try it this weekend. I'm dying to ride this after all the time and money I got in it.

I wonder why all my images don't show up without a download on this post?

I'm going to need a bulk charger for charging up at work. I have a 17 mile commute one way. I wonder what kind of bulk charger I should get? Any suggestions?

Hi Chalz,

I'm pretty sure that the hall and phase connections you need are as follows :-

Code:
Controller:       Motor
         HALL :
Yellow            Yellow
Green             Blue
Blue              Green

PHASE:
Yellow            Blue
Green             Green
Blue              Yellow

As regards images not displaying in-line, I think you need to make sure that the size of the images you upload are no more than 800x600 pixels.

Hope this helps.

I used a Surly MR Whirly Crankarm Set, with a Vuelta - Alloy 110mm BCD Chainring.

I chose this because it's the biggest stock Chainring I could find, and you can change the size of the bolt pattern with the Surly, if I wanted to change in the future.

I can pedal at 30 mph just fine. 25 is better and 35 feels too fast.

Nicely done, looks to be very trail worthy. I still bash my knees into the sides of my Motobecane every now and then, and I kept it thin for that reason. I like how you rounded the top and kept it thin as well. One of the better Giant Comp builds.

Dude!! I just found this thread and let me just say "you are the man"!! Fantastic build. I am currently acquiring the necessary bits, parts and pieces to start my second build (also a Giant DH, Team though). I finished my first build, the "Electric Jeepster" http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46942&start=100 earlier this year and I sympathize with you on how much there is to learn on the first try. You really made some good choices for your first go though. The battery box on mine is very similar to yours except I did mine in thermoforming ABS plastic. I may take a page from your book on the DH Comp though since it turned out so well and looks so good. I have been trying to track down and learn some of the idiosyncrasies of the DH Comp as I go along and was wondering if you used the stock bottom bracket or, if not, what you found that works on this odd sized BB? Also, how did the dishing of the rear wheel work out for you given the offset of the rear swing arm? BTW any chance of a picture showing the batteries installed in the battery box? The one picture you posted goes to a different picture when I click on it. Really love the evap cooling idea have you found it very effective? Can you quantify how much better it is over no cooling? I just finished venting my side covers and just it got it back up and running today. Only been on one ride so I am still evaluating the effectiveness but right now I would guess...maybe...30% better cooling. And that is on a tiny crystalyte 408. I'm sure I will have a ton more questions regarding your build. Hope you don't mind. Obiwan

What kind of performance spec are you interested in?
I commute to work on bike paths. 17 miles each way at 22 amps, brings me to 35 mph for most of the trip. I've gone 54 mph set at 50 amps, and it felt too fast, or I'm getting too old, not sure which one it might be. I've gone 30 miles on one charge, but I always pedal. I should probably learn to talk in watts like most of you. So - 72V X 22 Amps = 1584 watts to go 35 mph and 72V X 50 Amps = 3600 watts to hit 54, tucked down to minimize air resistance. I did not cruise very long at that speed, the 50 Amps gets me closer to 45 mph regular flat street cruising.

Those numbers appear high to me, from what I have read around this forum. Maybe it's Nine batteries, lighter bike, cooler motor or just because it's still pretty new. This is the only electric bike I have experienced that was more than 500W street legal production variety.

I'm thinking it would take about 80 Amps? Maybe 60 mph?

That's pretty much what I was interested in. I figured it was being used as a commuter or fast street cruiser from the tyres. 30 miles is useful range imo, particularly for such a capable bike. I agree with what you say about the speed...my Trek/MAC set up tops out at about 30mph and I find that fast enough for commuting. I'd love to emulate a build like this but good second hand MTB frames are still quite expensive over here in NZ so it's unlikely to happen. Cheers, thanks for sharing.

Keeps us informed on how the evaporative cooling works. I tried something similar with a wet sock, but didn't do much testing with it. I know what you mean about how hot the roads get here in summer, many days over 100 F here in Austin.

Ok Chalz, I see what you are saying about the chainring and cranks. My current issue is that the frame I got came with a bottom bracket that seems to run smoothly but the ends are all buggered up from using the wrong tool to remove it. I wanted to replace it but apparently them DH Comp has a 100mm shell and the actual stock bottom bracket is not even made any more. It's really hard to find solid information on the net about these because the 100mm shell size is pretty rare. As far as I can tell the only bottom brackets on the market now for these are external cup style and I have been trying to figure out if these will cause any problems. As for the chainring, I plan to go with a rennen. They make four-hole 104mm chainrings up to 52 tooth. This should work fine with current components. So you fit a 3" tire in there, did you have issues with the asymetrical swing arm? Did you lace your own wheels? I think this time around I am going to go with bicycle components on the wheels and tires. Just bought a set of the 2.5" WTB Weirwolf tires but I am keeping my eyes open for a set of the 3" Nokian Gazzaloddi tires. They are really hard to find. Obiwan

Back