Giant Comp DH bolt on build

Hey Chalz, I am starting to figure how to get my batteries in the triangle. I really want to get eight of them in there but I am making it even harder on myself by trying to get the 8000mAh 6S lipos in there. It seems like such a good deal to be able to get 16 Ah out of 2P instead of having to go 3P with the 5000mAh ones just to get up to 15Ah. But to get up to 88.8 nominal voltage I will need to put eight of these in the triangle space. I have tried lots of different options with my mock-up but it looks like the only way will be to sit two of them side-by-side in their widest dimension (discounting the length). That comes out to about 5 1/2". So I said all that to ask this; how wide is your battery box and how close does it come to your crank arms? I have determined that I can fit mine without hitting the crank arms but it will be pretty close (one good thing about the 100mm bottom bracket shell). Does your battery box width bother you at all when you are riding? Obiwan

Sabongi, I have just been working on this myself for my Giant DH Team build. Here is what I have learned. While there may be several ways to tackle the bottom bracket issue, if you want to stick with the stock set-up with internal cups and an Isis drive spindle there are really only two choices but they are pretty good ones. The bottom bracket shell on these is 100mm. I gather that this is rather wide and somewhat rare. The good news is that two companies (FSA and Truvative) still make these components. Check these:

http://fatbikes.com/fsa-platunim-dh-100mm-bottom-bracket.html

Or

http://fatbikes.com/truvativ-giga-pipe-team-dh-100-100e-x148mm-isis-bb.html

Both of these can be found on ebay or amazon for cheaper than these links by searching for the exact product name. Once you have a bottom bracket then you can use any cranks designed for Isis drive. There are apparently some other solutions if you want to go with external cup BBs but it takes some finagling I have heard and I could not find anything that described the process in detail. The good news is that the 100mm BB gives you a little extra width between the crank arms for battery box space in case you are really trying to cram a lot of energy in there. Obiwan

Back