• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

GM hub. 100v 40amps = 53mph *video*

Deutch420

100 W
So i recently got my build up and running. Have about 500 miles on it now. Its a ebay special GM rear hub. 24s2p Lipo. Lyen 12FET controller. its on a 1999 Mongoose NX 8.5 (v brakes :shock: ). My max speed hit is 52.9mph. It accelerates very fast. I would say i hit 40mph in under 6 second. climbing the last 10mph to get from 40mph to 50mph takes about 5 more seconds. Ive owend a lot of fast, moddded cars (01 heads/cam/long tubes camaro, 01 supercharged corvette, 94 RX7 with a 427ci V8 in it) and this bike gets me more looks, questions and "wows" than any car i ever owned.

Here is a clip of me following a truck on the highway. 55mph speed limit. I had to get off the throttle at the start as to not run up the trucks ass too much.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4ejaScDOMQ

These next 2 vids are very careless. We had a hurricane here yesterday so the sides of the roads are covered in sand and sticks. This forced me closer to the traffic than i like to be. ON TOP OF THAT im going against traffic like an absolute noob. I know its dangerous and stupid. The 2nd vid is also very stupid. I almost ran off the road at 40mph. my left hand was holding the camera and handlebars so i couldnt squeeze the front brakes. This forced me to only use the rears which do nothing at 50mph. (old school v-style brakes. worthless). I almost ran off the road as a result.

In this vid you will see a car to my right. He is going faster than me but i eventually catch up and pass, then you can see him pass me when i get off of it. I think i hit 47.8mph here. slight UPHILL.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/Nl7szyS1abI?hl=en&fs=1

In this vid i try to read out the speeds as i go. apparently anythign over 40mph couldnt be heard. I hit about 49mph before having to brake for the turn.
49mph readout - near crash

Yeah, fun chasing cars with 24s. When I was sneaking out my race bike at 20-26s, I always got this :shock: from everybody.

53 eh? downhill any? Best I could do with perfect flat ground was 47mph on my racer, with 26s. But it didn't take a noticeable downhill for it to hit 50.

Don't get caught, and keep those rides short. You'll melt by 10 miles, or be real ready to blow smoke.

Dogman,
It sure is fun to chase. I try to be very careful (as hard as that is to beleive) so i dont chase often, especially with my crappy v-brakes that are 13 years old. Simple solution, i lead 8).

I honestly dont recall any downhills. I actually hit 52.9mph. It was during the chase with the truck. So you can judge if there is a downhill. I cant/wont say there is no downhill, but its not significant enough for me to noice/see it. I think i got a freak GM. speeds have been verified by a pacing friend in a car, the CA and a GPS i purchased. So i know i am actually traveling the speeds recorded. no tail winds, although there is a hurrucane on its way tonight!! Irene, take it easy on us!

The video represents about the longest i usually go WOT. I have gone WOT before for maybe 2 minutes, however i have no plans to do WOT longer than that with this hub. However with the 5404, when and if the group buy goes through, i will be buying another 8 Lipos. Ill run 24s4p with my Lyen 18FET controller @ 70-100amps..... :twisted:

I plan to open the unit up and upgrade the phase wires. Yup, they're still stock. im going to drill the hub with a bunch of holes and add a t-stat with a digital readout as well so i can watch internal temps.

Cool, you must have a motor winding slightly faster than the 9c 2807 has. Sometimes folks post top speeds that are off about 5 mph, because the grade is not perfect flat. Even really flat looking terrain can be sloped. For the most accurate possible speed reading, you go both ways on the same road in the same weather, and average it. Like they do at bonneville.

Fun to have a bike that fast eh?

I had that same motor and identical speed so I can share in EV grin.
[youtube]yujThBuy-cM[/youtube]

Icecube, was that a cop (at 2:03) you rode by that did not stop you for going that fast? LOL

The last on-duty cop I had the privilege of talking to was more interested in the technology of the ebike. He either did not care or know about any ebike laws. I suspect he didn't care. Most small town cops know most everyone anyway, so it's not a good benchmark for talking to the average cop.

FA

Only ask, did you FForward your video? It clearly doubles in frames when I look at the FR/vid aspect and that was exactly the effect I saw after your initial acceleration. At first its reg 24fps (or lower cuz of the vid quality) and then it jumps to triple framerate as you start driving forward.

Not to doubt your speeds, but I work on movies and clearly noticed something strange in your clip. Could you show a pic of your bike? I'd be interested to see it.

Thanks

kaysellters said:
Only ask, did you FForward your video? It clearly doubles in frames when I look at the FR/vid aspect and that was exactly the effect I saw after your initial acceleration. At first its reg 24fps (or lower cuz of the vid quality) and then it jumps to triple framerate as you start driving forward.

Not to doubt your speeds, but I work on movies and clearly noticed something strange in your clip. Could you show a pic of your bike? I'd be interested to see it.

Thanks
Im sure ur gd with what u do but the clip is real as it gets...his ebike is capable of the speed :wink:
infact most of us with over 72v setup can go fast as him especially with slight downhill

don't doubt the speeds, I have gotten up to 46mph on my 1000W bike as well so I'm sure your systems can go very fast, just asking because the video was a little strange and low-qiuality so I couldn't tell.

kaysellters said:

Thanks

are you talking about my vid or icecube? I didnt do anything to my vid. It was taken with a cell phone. If you work on movies for a living and think i fast orwarded it, then ummmm, new job time? lol jk. But i did nothing to the vid. Took it, sent it to my email, uploadded it here. im going to assume the piss-poor quality of the vid from my cellphone is the source of your confusion.

I would be gald to take whatever vids you would like to see.

Here is a video i took of the bike. i uploaded it like 10x times but for some reason the sound isnt there. Either way, you guys should know what your looking at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=lfrCCAGWMtw

Thanks for the vid of the bike. I wasn't doubting your bike, and I don't work on movies for a living. I just watched your movie through FinalCut and the FR doubled on your acceleration. Your cell phone camera explains it, they capture only an 1/4, 8, 16 of frames depending on yoru cell. I just wasn't sure so i asked.

sorry for the misunderstanding.

Its no problem. However, i already went out and took 2 vids to show the speeds some more.

The first vid is very careless. We had a hurricane here yesterday so the sides of the roads are covered in sand and sticks. This forced me closer to the traffic than i like to be. ON TOP OF THAT im going against traffic like an absolute noob. I know its dangerous and stupid. The 2nd vid is also very stupid. I almost ran off the road at 40mph. my left hand was holding the camera and handlebars so i couldnt squeeze the front brakes. This forced me to only use the rears which do nothing at 50mph. (old school v-style brakes. worthless).

In this vid you will see a car to my right. He is going faster than me but i eventually catch up and pass, then you can see him pass me when i get off of it. I think i hit 47.8mph here. slight UPHILL.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/Nl7szyS1abI?hl=en&fs=1

In this vid i try to read out the speeds as i go. apparently anythign over 40mph couldnt be heard. I hit about 49mph before having to brake for the turn.
49mph readout - near crash

Doesnt your motor gets super hot after going pretty fast for a long time...
I'm making similar setup (only 20s2p) nd i was wondering if u've got some recommendation with lyen controller programming setting... :roll:
i've looked around the forum but its hard to find guys with lyen who does 20s with low level motor like GM(i hav CHM which i believe is same as GM)
i hope ur ride lives long! :mrgreen:

rui_fujino said:
I'm making similar setup (only 20s2p) nd i was wondering if u've got some recommendation with lyen controller programming setting... :roll:
i've looked around the forum but its hard to find guys with lyen who does 20s with low level motor like GM(i hav CHM which i believe is same as GM)

The motor does get hot. I make it a point to ride around at 800watts or so after i beat on it. This cools it down enough that i havent had an issue yet. A better way to do this would be to open it up and install a temp sensor so i can monitor internal temps. I plan to add one when i open the hub to do the drill mod and upgrade phase wires.

If you need recommendations on lyen program settings i can send you my file so you can look at it.

I think the motor will last a while if im not too stupid. Ive recently upped the amps to 57a, still 100v. about 60 miles on the bike with this power and im still yet to have an issue.

Like i said, just make it a point to not go wide open throttle for more than a minute straight, with ample cooldown periods in-between and you'll be fine!

Deutch420 said:
The motor does get hot. I make it a point to ride around at 800watts or so after i beat on it. This cools it down enough that i havent had an issue yet. A better way to do this would be to open it up and install a temp sensor so i can monitor internal temps. I plan to add one when i open the hub to do the drill mod and upgrade phase wires.
If you need recommendations on lyen program settings i can send you my file so you can look at it.
I think the motor will last a while if im not too stupid. Ive recently upped the amps to 57a, still 100v. about 60 miles on the bike with this power and im still yet to have an issue.
Like i said, just make it a point to not go wide open throttle for more than a minute straight, with ample cooldown periods in-between and you'll be fine!

cooL! could you send me the file please!! :D that will help me alot although ur setup is slightly higher than mine i believe... :wink:

i've send you my email address on PM. thanks

rui_fujino said:

As long as you understand the limitations, you should be able to get away with 60A rated, 150A phase. I have shortened stock phase wires on my GM, and was running 65/200 for a while, until the halls failed. I backed it down to 40/100 after replacing the halls, got bored, and its staying at 60/160. This is on 24S, however.

Around 40A, the bike feels nearly indestructible. The phase wires get hot, and the motor definitely smells around 60A+, but it takes it. I have about 1200 miles on the bike at 100V, most of the time at 60/160. I generally clamp it WOT 2-3 miles a day on the way home from work. The rest of the ride is at 20-28 MPH, occasional WOT snaps, maybe a burnout or two. My motor is the slower GM winding, and only does a touch over 40 on 24S.

6099772051_6e825ee663_b.jpg

Here is my most current controller settings. LVC and EBS Limit are 'odd' due to the HV regen mod.

I would recommend flashing 1 second block time, 45A rated, 120A phase. This would be towards the upper limit. 60/160 is only for those who don't care about the motors well being. With the block time this high, my motor is taking about 90-100A off the line, dropping down into the 60's around 30 MPH.

My table is the same as ZOMGVTEK's for the most part. I am 50/125amps. I also am 3.0 block. Rest is the same. Block makes a huge difference in acceleration/torque. I would recomend to leave it at 1 until you get used to the bike and are sure it will hold the power. Torque arms for sure if u plan to raise it.

Deutch420 said:
...!

i wouldn't mind a look at em too if you dont mind. Im using a compleatly different motor (HT35) but even so Im still kinda confused as to what the settings actually mean, or more specifically what they actually change in the real world.

cheers.

ps
those vids are mad as 'hit. so far the fastest ive gone is about 50km'h, and ive got massive bloody 20cm rotors!

edit
I gotta learn to look 2 posts further on a thread before posting comments that make me look like im blind.

ps
what exactly does block time + 120% change? is it harder on the motor/controller?

Im not 100% on this but this is what i THINK block time does. Basically block time at 1, will allow your motor to see whatever AMPs it wants for 1 second. 3 block time will allow your motor to see whatever it wants for 3 sedonds. I put my block time back down to 1.5 b/c 3 is just too much. Yea the bike felt A LOT more powerful at 3 during initial takeoff, but my wires were getting much hotter much faster. In fact i melted the controller to phase wire andersons together. I think this was due to a crappy connection, not so much the block. However, im sure the extra juice didnt help the heat!

in regards to the 120%. This is for the people who opted for the 3 way switch. The 3 way switch allows you to program your throttle with 3 "power" options. You can make them whatever you want. Some use 30%, 99% 120% . This would give you 30% power on 1. 100% power on 2. and 120% power on 3. Its useful when u want to cruise around slow and dont want to keep your wrist in 1 spot forever. Also, if you ever want to let someone ride your bike you can limit the power to 30% by the flick of a switch.

I tried doing a search for it but i came up empty. However im pretty sure. im pretty sure there is a thread here on ES that gives a breakdown of EVERY function in the lyen controller program. If i find it i will post it. It describes its function and what the numbers mean in real world. kinda worthless without the link, but maybe you'll have better luck finding it.

Found it!

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14836

mvly said:
Icecube, was that a cop (at 2:03) you rode by that did not stop you for going that fast? LOL

nah the cop tried to chase him, he was just going to FAST!! :lol:

Deutch420 said:
Found it!

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14836

awesome mate thanks!

Back