GNG, 1000W 48V BB-drive, $400

Miles said:
Whiplash said:
That's fine and I mean no disrespect but we both know it'll take more than its rated amount in real riding conditions unless you're climbing Pikes Peak..
If you mean that someone saw a higher figure on their CA for a few minutes, sure.... I know I'm fighting a losing battle on this one :)

:D

What I mean is in the real world if it'll take X power for more than a few minutes, I'll likely last forever because unless you live somewhere that has a lot of 4-5 mile stretches with no traffic and no stops or slowing corners you'll never overheat it. Now if your idea of fun is putting the front tire against the wall and going WOT then yes it'll die.. lol!

Whiplash said:
Miles said:
Whiplash said:
That's fine and I mean no disrespect but we both know it'll take more than its rated amount in real riding conditions unless you're climbing Pikes Peak..
If you mean that someone saw a higher figure on their CA for a few minutes, sure.... I know I'm fighting a losing battle on this one :)

:D

What I mean is in the real world if it'll take X power for more than a few minutes, I'll likely last forever because unless you live somewhere that has a lot of 4-5 mile stretches with no traffic and no stops or slowing corners you'll never overheat it. Now if your idea of fun is putting the front tire against the wall and going WOT then yes it'll die.. lol!
Going by Speed's experience, it does seem somewhat under-rated... :)

speedmd said:
LightningRods said:
speedmd said:
Sorry LR, I know that idea gives some heart burn, but it will not be easy, and not for most folks.

No man, go for it! If you can manage to stuff a 502 CID Chevy V8 into a Bugeye Sprite, more power to ya! :D

The 454 was may favorite! :p

How did I know? :lol:

This similar motor (that is wider) would not fit between the pedals, and also if we want to continue to use the bicycle chain and gears, the current GNG/LightningRods kits provides the 3,000W that is already the max power that bicycle chain and sprockets can survive for any reasonable amount of time.

If anyone wants to experiment with this similar but fatter motor, I like that, and want to encourage it, but...I would recommend it as a left-side drive direct to the rear wheel, such as a 20-inch on an edgerunner/ODK-II cargobike frame (using 415H or 428 chain). Since the motor is larger, it would make good use of a 36V battery, and coupled with a 20-inch tire would still climb extremely well. The extra copper mass would handle more amps well (compared to the GNG, which seems to work best when limited to 30A continuous, 40A peak).

With inrunners, the stator is connected directly to the case, so you can add an air-fan to the outside without getting dust inside the motor. On an outrunner (MAC/BPM/9C), I prefer oil-cooling (though I haven't tried that yet).

My favorite engine? a Buick GNX, a light 3.8L fuel-injected V6 with an intercooled turbo.

spinningmagnets said:
My favorite engine? and aluminum Buick GNX, a light 3.8L fuel-injected V6 with an intercooled turbo.
Mine? Ford flathead V8 with hillborns in a hoodless 56 stepside :twisted:

I have one of the bigger GNG type motors coming soon hopefully. Will torture a few chains and see how it fits/ holds up.

1957, it was a good year! :p

Que bela. 8)

600_Ferrari_250_Testarossa_1957_3_litre_312_Columbo_Design_Engine.jpg
Engine6inch.jpeg

Ciao!

Since we're talking cars and stuffing large motors into small spaces...

This was my first significant project. I was going to the Art Center College in LA and thought it would be a good idea to shoehorn a Buick 3.8 liter turbo V-6 into a 1972 LUV pickup which weighed nothing. It actually kinda was. :D

LUV.jpg

Its pretty hard to beat the LSx engine family, even the first gen engine made an easy 450 with nothing more than headers and a tune! And it would still pull down close to 30mpg if you babied the manual trans on the highway! The new ones are just insane.

Well that's my favorite torque monster....it is quite simple, direct inj, inline pump, low consumption, and fitted to a super reliable car, with DANAs, F/R differential lock, hubs lock, manual 5+5 gears, 24v 120Amps system and anyway capable of 100+Mph on highways.....I'm a lucky owner of one of them :D
file.php

3038062027.jpg

LightningRods said:
That web site is actually selling our 'GNG' motor. But they have it configured the way it typically is in China, attached to a tricycle transaxle.
http://e-bike-diffusion.com/index.p...ategorie%26code_cat%3D11%26page_start_num%3D1

Yeah you see them all the time in china, really common on the larger sized trikes
This is the biggest version I've seen in production, nice and beefy differential
GNG bigger.jpg

I have a video somewhere of a 64V one with a 500Kg rated haul capacity, unloaded it's terrifyingly fun to ride.
Any interest in getting just the GNG style motors to design a ground up kit?

:mrgreen: :D well....I was talking about something that you could own, and that lasts for 300.000+ miles
There's also this one, talking about torque, But its motor would be hard to be fitted in a relatively small car....LOL[youtube]0OdEhoAJZOs[/youtube]
I have a place to find for nothing some of the biggest ever made, I think: those that spin the prop of the carnival's COSTA CONCORDIA that destroyed the ridge of one of the best island, here in Italy....
1327485195.jpg

CostaConcordia.jpg

But hey, maybe it is better to stop pollute this GNG thread :D

panurge said:
:
But hey, maybe it is better to stop pollute this GNG thread :D

Yeah, Agreed, Sorry I contributed. Back to the mini Torque monster called GNG :)

I think I may have discovered a way to find and order from Mr. Tao stuff that was previously unreachable:

Open http://www.taobao.com/

Write "48v 500w" in the search box (or anything else you're looking for)

Scroll through the pages and pictures until you find an interesting item, click on it and it will appear in a new browser window, for example http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.287.lgRvJd&id=7018010465 .

Open a new browser window and enter the following address http://www.mistertao.com/taobao-products/taobao-item-18587052530.html, replace the item number near the end with the item number from the end of the address of the taobao item (in this example replace 18587052530 with 7018010465) and press enter.

A Mr Tao page with the taobao item will open http://www.mistertao.com/taobao-products/taobao-item-7018010465.html .
Now you can order the item from Mr. Tao.

Avner.

Not at all to discourage you guys from ordering motors yourselves, but be sure to get the vendor to confirm the width of the motor before you order. There are at least three different widths, one of which is the 'big block' with the 30mm wide armature. The other wider one that I've found is only about 2.5mm wider through the middle case and has the same armature as the 'GNG' motor. For the more powerful motor you should get a width measurement back from them around 95mm (compared to around 69mm for the standard motor). Virtually all of these Chinese motors have the helical geared shaft for mating up to the tricycle transaxle.

I have a message in to "lindachangshang" through Mister Tao trying to confirm the width of a motor they are selling. You can also copy the item number from Taobao and paste it into Mister Tao. The advantage of that is English translations and having someone on the ground in China to eyeball the goods before shipping to wherever you are. They charge some pittance for the service. Your call.

While we're on the subject of Mister Tao and the GNG, here is a new Gen 1.1 complete for $178 + shipping:

http://www.mistertao.com/taobao-products/taobao-item-18826436986.html

Even if you figure that all you're getting of any value is the motor and jackshaft, that's not a bad price.

LightningRods said:
While we're on the subject of Mister Tao and the GNG, here is a new Gen 1.1 complete for $178 + shipping:

http://www.mistertao.com/taobao-products/taobao-item-18826436986.html

Even if you figure that all you're getting of any value is the motor and jackshaft, that's not a bad price.

uhhhh, so we can get this kit for 1/3 of gng's price?

1KW said:
uhhhh, so we can get this kit for 1/3 of gng's price?

GNG's price for the 1.1 is $318. The rest is shipping. The shipping cost will be about the same off of Taobao so you'll save about $140. There will be some delay as the seller sends the kit to Mister Tao and then they resend it on to you. You'll probably wait 2 to 3 extra weeks to save your $140. But yes it works. I've gotten every item I've paid for on Mister Tao.

Back