Go Cart

Hello,
I’ve started building my own Go-kart. I started with getting a mobility front wheel steering system, then built the rest of the frame from that.
So a solid aluminium U section is the ‘spine’ of the vehicle, which then links to the rear transaxle, gearbox and 2 electric motors.
Pretty much everything is made from aluminium, to keep the weight right down. Hoping for a target of 40kg for everything.
I did a prototype test run, to check that the basic systems worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVL56f7jPDY

Now it is having upgrades, so the differences between prototype 1 and 2 will be:
2 x 24V 4-pole PM DC Brushed motors with a common shaft, driving the rear wheels.
Upgraded speed controllers to 2 x 4QD Porter-10, connected to a thick aluminium bulkhead as a heat sink.
Different transaxle and speed reduction ratio, to 14.75:1.
Single hydraulic disc brake (to then be duplicated).
Larger wheels from 33cm diameter to 42cm diameter, for higher top speed, better grip and better ground clearance.
Acceleration should be pretty aggressive, getting to top speed in less than 2 seconds.

Nice build, but why not go for higher voltage motors, they tend to run better because of the lower current requirements.

Hi,
Yeah i considered using a 72v 3000w motor from an electric bike project that I had. For this project though I'm just keeping the drive system as brushed DC 24V. No major reason, other than i had the motors available and they're very strong motors.

Back